Hargraeves Hill Esb Clone - Recipe help.

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ciderman

Reaction score
Hi All,

I'm really keen to give this beer a go but have struggled to find any solid information on it. There are a few threads around here with discussion but very little on recipes. I've tried bumping one of the old threads to no avail.

The beer itself has the typical English bitter malt profile but uses completely different hops. The brewer, who has posted here before has noted the use of citra, Nelson Sauvin and Galaxy.

Has anyone tried to make this before, or does anyone have any idea of what the grain bill might be?

It's 5.4% alcohol and 55IBU.

Any help for my 3rd all grain beer would be great. I plan to brew Saturday.

It's a great beer. Surprised about the apparent hop varieties. I would have picked a fair what of centennial, but there you go.

Good luck... I would say a fair bit of munich and a mix of medium and dark crystal in the grist.

stakka82 said:
It's a great beer. Surprised about the apparent hop varieties. I would have picked a fair what of centennial, but there you go.

Good luck... I would say a fair bit of munich and a mix of medium and dark crystal in the grist.
It could well be centennial for bittering and the others late additions/dry hopping

Hey guys!

The ESB has gone through a a lot of changes, while trying to keep it to the core premise of malty, bitter with a big tropical passionfruit whack. And obviously it is not a "real" ESB, but then again neither are most IPA's either though I suppose that's a conversation for another day....

If I was brewing this at home I'd shoot for an ale malt base with Munich, medium crystal, chocolate and a little tickle of biscuit malt. It's currently hopped with Galaxy, Citra, Simcoe and Mosaic, but that is ever changing as the key to this beer is selecting the hops to suit the flavour profile! So that includes thinking about varieties like Nelson Sauvin, Motueka, or anything else that will deliver the appropriate variety of punch.

cheers,

Kai

Thanks Kai.

I ended up using 80% Maris otter pale, 10% Munich and 5% each of medium and dark crystal so not far off your suggestion. I used a combination of Citra, Nelson Sauvin and Cascade. I'll be bottling this weekend so we'll see how it comes up.

Ciderman,

any chance of sharing the hop additions?

And of course taste results once it's ready to go?

Cheers,

AlexL said:
Ciderman,

any chance of sharing the hop additions?

And of course taste results once it's ready to go?

Cheers,
15g Cascade 60mins

20g Nelson Sauvin 30mins

10g Nelson Sauvin 10mins
10g Citra 10mins
5g Cascade 10mins

10g Nelson Sauvin 5mins
10g Citra 5mins
5g Cascade 5mins

At flameout or 0mins

10g Nelson Sauvin
10g Citra