Hard Wiring March Pump

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

warrenlw63

Just a Hoe
Reaction score
A question if I may? :)

Recently purchased a March pump and I'm interested in hard wiring it with say a rocker switch of some sort. Has anybody done this already and is it feasible?

I'm thinking something like this switch and saving the other two spots for the HLT element/controller and maybe a mechanised HLT stirrer in the third spot up the track.

Wired switch

Just looking for something a little more inventive/heavy duty than the standard plugs in the power point.

Lots of pics of something similar would be most excellent. I've searched here and there but nothing totally hits the mark or is overkill for what I want to do.

Warren -

A question if I may? :)

Recently purchased a March pump and I'm interested in hard wiring it with say a rocker switch of some sort. Has anybody done this already and is it feasible?

I'm thinking something like this switch and saving the other two spots for the HLT element/controller and maybe a mechanised HLT stirrer in the third spot up the track.

Wired switch

Just looking for something a little more inventive/heavy duty than the standard plugs in the power point.

Lots of pics of something similar would be most excellent. I've searched here and there but nothing totally hits the mark or is overkill for what I want to do.

Warren -

How about a breaker panel, should be able to get one at a salvage yard el cheapo.

Screwy

Thanks Screwy.

Valid idea but probably overkill for maybe 2-3 switches. Might have a look all the same. :)

Warren -

Hey Warren check out my setup in the Photo Tour pfd. I wanted to do the same thing but found using a heavy duty weatherproof double power point was much more use friendly. I just ran an extention cord hard wired to the back of the power point that way the brewery can be moved around and I have the option of using extra points at the brew table from milling and the like.

Steve

I made my own power box.
A jiffy box, low profile light switches and some 3-pin sockets.
There is also a master off switch on the back.

Beers,
Doc

PowerBox.jpg

Warren, looking at that doesn't fill me with confidence. You need to ensure it is rated to 240V (unless you have a 12V pump) or you could get into strife. I used a normal light switch for mine before I moved to the US.

Regardless of how you go make sure your brew rig is behind some kind of RCD they are worth their weight in gold.

Hey Warren check out my setup in the Photo Tour pfd. I wanted to do the same thing but found using a heavy duty weatherproof double power point was much more use friendly. I just ran an extention cord hard wired to the back of the power point that way the brewery can be moved around and I have the option of using extra points at the brew table from milling and the like.

Steve

Yeah Steve that was kind of option B. Those weatherproof power points have the real beefy looking sliding switch on them. Should last a lifetime. :)

Think that's what I may wind up doing.

Warren -

I made my own power box.
A jiffy box, low profile light switches and some 3-pin sockets.
There is also a master off switch on the back.

Beers,
Doc

Like the look of that too Doc. Looks a neat looking project.

Warren -

The other thing you need to be careful of is making sure your brew stand and pump remain earthed.
If you are going to hardwire and install switches make sure you always keep the earth connected to the pump and stand.

You can buy RCD power points that will replace your existing power point that you use for brewing. These are cheaper than the orange RCD boxes.

Most important part is safety

Kabooby :)

Yeah Steve that was kind of option B. Those weatherproof power points have the real beefy looking sliding switch on them. Should last a lifetime.

Think that's what I may wind up doing.

Warren -
Yes mate, I am no spark but this was nice and easy, and does the job. It is good to have that on/off switch for the pump and HLT close at hand and not have to run to some power point away from the brew area.

Steve

I just used one of the ready made weather proof switches that you can get at any hardware or sparky supplier.

control_switch.jpg

pretty easy and straight forward to fit off as well.

Thanks gents... I think that switch that Devo's got and Steve is talking about will do the job. Might hunt one down over the weekend. :beerbang:

Warren -

I have seen Devos for about $70 in Bunnings

Pumpy

Picked this up from an industrial site they were to knock down .

Power_outlet.JPG

I think Devo and Docs options are better mine only has one switch for two sockets perhaps not so practical .

Warren one thing you may consider ,I use on my brewery control box is 'Air switches' to activate the pump and the heater this means instead of wires running around the brewery I use fine air tubes .more for safety .

To switch on the pump I press a button which compresses the air in the tube and switches the pump on.

The air switches are the two at the botttom of the control box .

Pumpy :)

Control_box.JPG

Here you see the pvc air tubes which go to the activating button at working height without having wires around the liquids

air_tubes.JPG

Hi Warren,
I have my march pump wired to a rocker switch, but I kept the plug on the end so the pump could be easily removed from the stand for servicing. To do this I cut the male end off a short 240v lead and wired it to the switch then plugged the end into the pump. The switch was a 10A jobbie with a clear plastic protective sheath from Dick Smiths.

controlbox.JPG

cheers

Browndog

Back