Hard lemonade

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kingy

Reaction score
Maryland, Newcastle,New South Wales, Australia, Ea
So I made a hard lemonade with a recipe I found only using some ginger and
3kgs of lemons and
2.2kgs of dextrose as fermentable.
And 500gms of lactose.
Gravity was 1.048. It's been a week and hasn't moved from 1.030 for a few days.
Does lactose throw off the gravity readings.
Maybe the ph was to low for the yeast. I'm chilling down a bottle atm. To force carb to give a taste.

Lactose will increase the SG of the must, however 18 points sounds like a stuck ferment.

Did you add yeast nutrients? Did you do TOSNA 3.0 or preloading? Did you degas during fermentation and what strain of yeast did you use?

Lemon makes the liquid very unkind to yeast. Need a few more bits of info from you.

I used yeast nutrient, and I used s04 yeast. I went camping for a week afterwards so nothing else was done. Never heard of a degas. I might rouse it up a bit and bump the temp up. Probly should of used a cider yeast

Last edited:
Yeah fair enough. Generally with yeast nutrient the gold standard for non-beer / mead etc is Total Organic Staggered Nutrient Additions (TOSNA) which step feeds nutrients at specific times. It helps to avoid a stuck fermentation.

If all else fails, I would pitch a packet of champagne yeast in there, and it should rip through.

Degassing is basically giving it a good stir up once or twice a day for the first week or so, to let CO2 out. I'm not convinced it's necessary but I brew a fair bit of mead / cyser and I think it helps.

Also, check out this link for some helpful tips and a recipe for Skeeter Pee

Hey mate, yeah EC-1118 by lalvin will unstuck any fermentation. Just go in dry. Sprinkle on and let er rip

they suggest step feeding the lemon on skeeter pee for that exact reason!

I used this recipe, I added the champagne yeast today. Hopefully it gets it moving. After the reading I've done. This yeast would eat anything.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200814-190618_Facebook.jpg
    Screenshot_20200814-190618_Facebook.jpg
    88.6 KB · Views: 61
we've got a lemon tree out the back yard that's sagging to the ground with lemons. well, it would't be sagging to the ground with much else. what's the batch size on the above recipe?? 23L??
i can feel a whole new world coming on.
and wtf is skeeter pee. sounds like something a mosquito does in a private cubicle. how do you collect it?? can you test it for malaria??

we've got a lemon tree out the back yard that's sagging to the ground with lemons. well, it would't be sagging to the ground with much else. what's the batch size on the above recipe?? 23L??
i can feel a whole new world coming on.
and wtf is skeeter pee. sounds like something a mosquito does in a private cubicle. how do you collect it?? can you test it for malaria??
25 litre batch size, that's the only reason i made this was to get rid of some lemons. Hopefully it turns out ok. I'll make it an annual thing to use up the lemons.

threw down my first lemonade this arvo.
out of solidarity with all you house-arrest vics, i got them from the back yard, and i only drove 4.73km to get some EC118 champagne yeast, and pretty much made it up from the little bit of info here.
most lemonade recipes are on american websites, and they don't even use lemons - just some cordial gick.
so, for anybody interested, 23L batch -
23 lemons (about average on info)
2.5kg dextrose
a small shaved ginger root
the yeast, and
whitelabs yeast nutrients (the only choice at the lhbs).

og 1.041, but when i tasted it, already tasted of really nicely balanced fruit on flavour.
bought some lactose as per most recipes, although i saw one comment where a brewer said it doesn't need sweetening with lactose.
after my taste, i agree. not a fan of lactose as a rule, and i don't need sickly sweet, so now i'm not sure if i'll bother to add it to this.
recipes suggest adding lactose to taste just before bottling. so that remains to be seen.

will add a 2nd yeast nutrients as soon as the fermenting starts to slow.

for lemon juice extraction, after i poured off, i hit the pulp with a potato masher, and got almost no extra juice. maybe 10-15 mls from 23 lemons. so loaded pulp into a strainer and slow poured about 1L 50 degree water to 'sparge' , then repeated that a few minutes later.
total time from going down to garden to collect lemons, to putting airlock on fermenter (and cleaning up completed), just on 2 hours.
hope this helps. initial observations - pretty quick and painless to make, and tastes good even at pre-ferment.

Well all that sugar will go and you will only be left with lemon! But agreed lactose I find gives milky sweetness.

One thing that does help is to just add a teaspoon of sugar when you pour into a glass. That way you can drink it as sweet or dry as you like.

The other option is to stabilise with kmeta and sorbate backsweeten with sugar, keg and fill bottles from keg (if you keg)

I'm doing a batch of skeeter pee at the moment, using that bottled lemon juice from Coles, sugar and US-05 yeast.

out of solidarity with all you house-arrest vics, i got them from the back yard, and i only drove 4.73km to get some EC118 champagne yeast, and pretty much made it up from the little bit of info here.
most lemonade recipes are on american websites, and they don't even use lemons - just some cordial gick.
2.5kg dextrose
the yeast, and

og 1.041, but when i tasted it, already tasted of really nicely balanced fruit on flavour.
bought some lactose as per most recipes, although i saw one comment where a brewer said it doesn't need sweetening with lactose.
after my taste, i agree. not a fan of lactose as a rule, and i don't need sickly sweet, so now i'm not sure if i'll bother to add it to this.
recipes suggest adding lactose to taste just before bottling. so that remains to be seen.

for lemon juice extraction, after i poured off, i hit the pulp with a potato masher, and got almost no extra juice. maybe 10-15 mls from 23 lemons. so loaded pulp into a strainer and slow poured about 1L 50 degree water to 'sparge' , then repeated that a few minutes later.
total time from going down to garden to collect lemons, to putting airlock on fermenter (and cleaning up completed), just on 2 hours.
hope this helps. initial observations - pretty quick and painless to make, and tastes good even at pre-ferment.
The problem is you do want to end up with some residual sweetness. If you bottle the secondary fermentation will use all all but lactose or artificial sweetener & I suspect like me you want neither.
In my case I keg, add a decent quality cordial to achieve the desired sweetness & promptly cold crash. Sweetness preserved, wife happy, but the overall result does not compare IMHO with say a ginger beer.

The problem is you do want to end up with some residual sweetness. If you bottle the secondary fermentation will use all all but lactose or artificial sweetener & I suspect like me you want neither.
In my case I keg, add a decent quality cordial to achieve the desired sweetness & promptly cold crash. Sweetness preserved, wife happy, but the overall result does not compare IMHO with say a ginger beer.
adding sugar or sugared water at point of drinking (as per kadmium) would be an good option especially on first batch, but i'm intending to dish out a few to each of my good neighbours at chrissie time, and i live in an apartment block, so maybe a carton. so it's not really a viable option in the circumstances.
i figured the 'add lactose to taste just before bottling' clause is precisely because the yeasties are going to soak up a lot of sweetness, so reserving my judgment on how much to use when i get to that point.
the cordial is a new one. what brand, how much do you use?? i suspect that it might not be an option anyway if i can't cold crash cos the yeasties will strip that of sugars in bottle ferment. and blow up my garage.
i may need to just sparingly use the lactose

I used 1kg of lactose in mine and definitely did not taste any milkyness at all, if anyone it wasn't quite sweet enough.
yeah, i own the 500gm bag of lactose LOL,
so it looks like i'll be using that after the taste test just before bottling.
i got turned off it trying to clone a guinness, i remember a glutinous glug that refused to behave itself (this was a long time ago)..
see how we go

I use cordial to back sweeten both ginger beer & lemonade. Just add carefully "to taste"(& remember you can't get it out once you put it in). Any decent cordial does the job, Bunderim for GB (NOT the diet one!!). I have also used pear cordial to back sweeten Cider. Yes it helps to be set up to keg.

2.5kg dextrose
the yeast, and

Hope it works out Lemonade is the hardest to make a decent brew. Little point reporting taste before fermentation is complete.

Back