Happy accidents!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

milkit99

Reaction score
Hey all,

Apologies if this is in the wrong section, I couldn't think of anywhere other than a 'general' section to put it.

I was on the positive side of a bit of a brewing accident today.
About four or five months ago I brewed a poorly-conceived pale ale recipe as my second AG brew, and a lot of it went wrong. The colour is waaay off, looking more like a deep red English ale, the flavour very cloyingly sweet, way too high in alcohol (I underestimated my efficiency based on my clueless first attempt!), and definitely not sessionable.

I kegged it, had the odd drink but never really paid it much attention. Then the fridge temperature controller went all doodally and ended up gradually freezing the water in the kegs, making it progressively syrup-ier and stronger. I eventually shut off the fridge in anticipation of getting a new one that didn't end up eventuating, so it's been unrefrigerated for about two months.

Kegged my newest batch of porter, and was getting the fridge set up again this morning, and on a whim decided to give the ale a quick taste again. Wouldn't you know it, very drinkable. The freeezing then thawing diluted it a touch, bringing down the alcohol and the sweetness, and it's not unpleasant at all. Gonna have to hook it back up now, when I had it written off and was fixing to chuck it down the drain.

Anyone else had any pleasant surprises like that recently?

Cheers,
Ash

So we have "happy accidents", and "to snip or not to snip?", starting to feel like bub hub for blokes. On topic, sounds like you invented reverse eisbock.

Louts' said:
Kegged my newest batch of porter, and was getting the fridge set up again this morning, and on a whim decided to give the ale a quick taste again. Wouldn't you know it, very drinkable. The freeezing then thawing diluted it a touch, bringing down the alcohol and the sweetness, and it's not unpleasant at all. Gonna have to hook it back up now, when I had it written off and was fixing to chuck it down the drain
Without getting into the fundamentals of physics, what has probably occurred is that the beer has had extended time to clean itself up, along with some extreme cold-conditioning. Freezing, then thawing, will not lead to any dilution, as the volume in your keg prior to freezing will be exactly the same as after the contents has re-thawed.

WarmBeer said:
Without getting into the fundamentals of physics.....
This new learning amazes me! Explain again, how sheep's bladders may be employed to prevent earthquakes.....? :ph34r:

Not really an accident, but i brewed a dry irish stout. Then fermented it with belle saison. Very happy i did!

WarmBeer said:
Without getting into the fundamentals of physics, what has probably occurred is that the beer has had extended time to clean itself up, along with some extreme cold-conditioning. Freezing, then thawing, will not lead to any dilution, as the volume in your keg prior to freezing will be exactly the same as after the contents has re-thawed.
@WarmBeer, I think the OP is referring to dilution as he had drawn off some of the concentrated beer whilst it was frozen. Removing some of the sugary syrupy strong beer will resulting a weaker more balanced beer upon thawing.

That is a lot of links, and I clearly have some learning to do in the field of 'how to use a search bar' :blush:

And Tim, yup that's the one! Thanks for the clarification!

Back