Hanging Out

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

johnno

It's YUMMY
Reaction score
I have the rest of the week off and I was hoping to have the AG system ready to go by now so I could brew a lager this coming weekend.
Its not to be. :( Still have to get the chiller (probably cfc from Goliaths).
I dont really want to make a lager using DME and a half size AG batch is too much trouble for a lager.
Oh well.
Thems the breaks.

cheers
johnno

So near, yet so far eh Johnno?

Wort chiller was my last item when I went AG as well.

Warren -

Bummer Johnno.
If you were in Sydney I would have lent you my immersion chiller for the week. Would have gotten you over the line.

Beers,
Doc

Johnno, depending on your size of boiler, you could still use the dunk in a tub of water to chill method.

I know of a brewer and that is the way he chills his all grainers down. He uses a converted keg as a boiler, lifts it into a tub, runs water around it to cool, when it is around 40 deg C he adds some ice to the cooling water, then syphons out of the boiler into the fermenter. Not the ideal way to do it, but certainly works for him.

Lugging heavy and hot boilers around with wort is not very safe, but he knows the risks and takes his time to do it.

Our member in Japan (sorry forgot your handle) claims to chill his all-grains in the bath. After the initial drop of 30 or 40 degrees, a bag or two of ice from the servo would bring it right down very nicely.

warrenlw63 said:
So near, yet so far eh Johnno?

Wort chiller was my last item when I went AG as well.

Warren -
[post="51396"][/post]​
Getting there Warren, getting there. :)

Doc said:
Bummer Johnno.
If you were in Sydney I would have lent you my immersion chiller for the week. Would have gotten you over the line.

Beers,
Doc
[post="51398"][/post]​
Thanks Doc. Now if I jump in the car I could be there about 10ish? :lol:

pint of lager said:
Johnno, depending on your size of boiler, you could still use the dunk in a tub of water to chill method.

[post="51401"][/post]​
POL, My current 19 litre fits in the laundry sink fine. The new Kettle is a 60 litre job and will not fit in there.

deebee said:
Our member in Japan (sorry forgot your handle) claims to chill his all-grains in the bath. After the initial drop of 30 or 40 degrees, a bag or two of ice from the servo would bring it right down very nicely.
[post="51412"][/post]​
deebee, I have no bathtub :( . But I do have a shower , so I dont smell that much :lol: .
The joys of inner city living.
Went to the inlaws yesterday, about an hour out from where we live. I was sussing out a few places with very large blocks next to cow paddocks. hmmmm

cheers
johnno

At $3.50 min, per bag of ice that would be an expensive way to chill wort? <_<

Johno you can use mine if you require (not rush to have it back)

I have a CFC I am using now so the other is spare untill i mod it, for use in the brewery

If you want to use it, all you need to do is give it a clean (been sitting on the brew bench for a few months, and a bit of oxide layer built up)

I belive a quick bath in light vinigar will clean it up nice!

Let me know
Ben
(P.S i am in the south east subs and can leave it at the door for pick up if required)

I was about to offer mine, but Gout's beaten me to it. Johnno, you're more than welcome to mine for the week. I live in Surrey Hills and work in Oakleigh.

Thanks for the offer NRB. I jsut saw the post but Gout beat you to it. Avery big thank you to Gout for the lend.
I went and picked up my grain from Grain and Grape today as well as some Saaz hops. Ran around getting a few other odds and ends.
Got home tested the system. works fine. Went to Modify the recipe for a Pilsner style brew and realized I hadnt picked up enough hops. Only 80 gms.
#$%@#$^* ^&^%$ :lol: :lol:
I have to do another trip to yhe G&G tomorow or Saturday.

cheers
johnno

No worries Johnno. I look forward to hearing how it all goes.

Johnno,

you may be already sorted with a chiller this weekend, but for the record, another way to do it is to use more grain, so you sparge less and do a concentrated wort boil. You then make up the remaining volume with ice tipped straight into the wort [puts on flame suit :ph34r: ]. Depending on what size bags of ice you buy, you can estimate how much you'll need. I do this all the time for my partial and full mashes and it works perfectly - and I've never had an infected brew using this method. One 1.7kg bag ($1.50 at Coles) cools my 10L of boiling wort and 13L of room temp (25c) fresh water to around 15C. So, 2 bags should chill say 18L of wort to 18-20C I reckon. Just make sure you up your bittering hop quantities by a little to make up for the reduced utilisation in the concentrated wort.

Cheers - Snow

Actually Ice sold in Sydney is microbiologically pure. I remember reading a big article a few years ago when we had giardia and cryptosporidian in our water that all water used in commercially sold ice is sterilised prior to freezing. I would say that as long as the bag is still sealed when you add it, you wont get an infection. Also pitching a big healthy yeast starter would help minimize any chances.

Snow said:
Johnno,

you may be already sorted with a chiller this weekend, but for the record, another way to do it is to use more grain, so you sparge less and do a concentrated wort boil. Cheers - Snow
[post="52072"][/post]​
Hi Snow,
I did do this with the last brew but without the ice. I just cooled in the laundry tub and added water as needed. I'm not really happy with this method as there is too much mucking about with calculations. (just me). :)
Anyway here is to chillers.

cheers
johnno

Back