Handyman Required - Sydney

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jay Cee

Reaction score
Hoping someone can help. I need a couple of 1/2 inch holes drilled into a thin stainless vessel - the sight gauge mounting holes of an electric urn that I need boring out

Anyone in Sydney who is 100% solid with doing this sort of work, and will help a brewer out ? There's a 6-Pack of something nice in it for you, and my eternal thanks! Hoping to do in mid/late August, and I will bring to your house/work one weekend.

Don't be afraid to do it yourself - if I can - anyone can. With the right tools, it's not hard to do at all.

As you know, Sydney is a massive city. Narrowing down your locale might help...

Outer parts of inner city, but can travel to anywhere :)

Wolfy, my concern is the crappy (but new) cordless drill of mine, it doesn't have quite enough oomph I feel required for the job. At the end of the day, if Im gong to give it a crack myself, I might just pick up a $100 crab cooker from BCF and destroy that, instead of a $350 urn ! Which means a second vessel, which of course means a new project design.

Wolfy, my concern is the crappy (but new) cordless drill of mine, it doesn't have quite enough oomph I feel required for the job.

Find a step drill from somewhere (ebay/bunnings/hardware) like this. You just need to find one that has the size one want. 1/2in is approx 12.5mm, so the linked one may work if your fitting is slightly less than 1/2in. else, just find a 1/2in one.

The key to drilling sheet metal is the step drill bit, not the drill. The drill bit keeps the hole round, and won't dig in or catch like a normal twist drill.

Find a step drill from somewhere (ebay/bunnings/hardware) like this. You just need to find one that has the size one want. 1/2in is approx 12.5mm, so the linked one may work if your fitting is slightly less than 1/2in. else, just find a 1/2in one.

The key to drilling sheet metal is the step drill bit, not the drill. The drill bit keeps the hole round, and won't dig in or catch like a normal twist drill.

just put a half inch ballvalve on my keggle using a TCT holesaw now yes the fitting is called 1/2 inch but the hole required is actually 21-22 mm not too hard to do and tct hole saws are quite cheap on ebay.

Jay Cee, I live out penrith way if your still hung up on it drop me a PM, drilling the hole it's better to drill slowly and keep well lubricated just about any cordless will do the job. to make it easier and more accurate mark up and use some marsking tape so drill doesnt slide about. Also is always best to drill a small piolot hole. now 22mm is slightly too big, 20mm too small, and is what I used then filed out for a snug fit. Weldless fittings I got from brewershardware.com

my 2c, did mine with my son yesterday, great helper for an 18mth old!

Masters, I was out your way twice over the last two Saturdays (Pats @ St Marys), I should have posted earlier. <_<

But you guys have got me interested in doing it myself now. What do I use for lube, some sewing machine oil maybe olive oil in a pinch? Nice & slow with a step drill, or fast ?

The whole 1/2 inch rule is deceiving, if my fittings take 1/2 inch hose, I'm realising that its not possible for them to be 1/2 inch! I'll get some calipers and determine the exact size.

I can do it if you want to travel to Engadine.

Masters, I was out your way twice over the last two Saturdays (Pats @ St Marys), I should have posted earlier. <_<

But you guys have got me interested in doing it myself now. What do I use for lube, some sewing machine oil maybe olive oil in a pinch? Nice & slow with a step drill, or fast ?

The whole 1/2 inch rule is deceiving, if my fittings take 1/2 inch hose, I'm realising that its not possible for them to be 1/2 inch! I'll get some calipers and determine the exact size.

Any type of oil will be ok or even wd 40 sprayed on thick will do. keep the rotation slow and keep firm pressure. youll be fine.
tip to start off put some masking tape over the spot to start her of so she doesnt slip away or wander off your mark.

Ohhh and you MUST have your tounge hanging out the left side of your mouth the same length as the diameter of your drill. in your case 7/8 of an inch or 22mm

:p

edit: firm pressure means firm dont crush your urn!

Jay Cee, mate was at Pats Saturday arvo, ya must have just missed me!! Pick up some grain ...now in the fermenter bubbling away :icon_cheers:

Back