Handy Imports Urns?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Truman42

Reaction score
Ive searched on here using many different options and found bugger all on this so sorry if this has been asked before.

I was thinking about buying one of those handy imports 35 litre urns on ebay and Big Nath mentioned in another thread that some brewers have purchased them and been happy with them.

Big Naths post

So If you have one of these urns are you happy with it? Does it reach and hold a rapid boil no worries? Any problems with it etc??

Thanks for your input.

Have a read in the ebay thread, based on that I would not touch one.

Couple more Q worth asking.

How many brews have you done with it before
-- it died
-- it rusted
-- it leaked

How many times can you try and save and then spend more in the long run. [Not you in particular - just saying]

Buy one of Ross' stainless pots, weld less fittings and element - either over the side or fitted..

What about $250-300 max? Good to brew, and a double if you do it right BIAB, for years....

Cank cank.

Sorry truman, i may have lead you up the garden path with that one.

When i said others have been happy with their purchases i wasnt necessarily thinking about the urns....

Handy imports sell a lot of stuff that is suitable for brewing, in particular, alu and ss pots very cheaply. I remember reading many posts over the last few years of brewers that have been happy with their products, just not necessarily the urns. Manticle has had a fair bit to do with them i reckon. I seem to remember reading a lot of posts from him about the pots. Could be wrong about this though and as such, happy to be corrected.

When manticle talks, i listen, so i tend to think they are probably not a bad company/person/internet presence to deal with.

FWIW, i have no opinion on the urns from them as ive never used or seen one, but i do have real experience with the cheapy crab cooker ones, and they are genuinely a shit product.

Sorry for the confusion mate.

BN

Sorry truman, i may have lead you up the garden path with that one.

When i said others have been happy with their purchases i wasnt necessarily thinking about the urns....

Handy imports sell a lot of stuff that is suitable for brewing, in particular, alu and ss pots very cheaply. I remember reading many posts over the last few years of brewers that have been happy with their products, just not necessarily the urns. Manticle has had a fair bit to do with them i reckon. I seem to remember reading a lot of posts from him about the pots. Could be wrong about this though and as such, happy to be corrected.

When manticle talks, i listen, so i tend to think they are probably not a bad company/person/internet presence to deal with.

FWIW, i have no opinion on the urns from them as ive never used or seen one, but i do have real experience with the cheapy crab cooker ones, and they are genuinely a shit product.

Sorry for the confusion mate.

BN

their pots had issues as well

jyo has had some experience with their pots... not so good. Some other have seemed to have had no dramas....

Again, do the math on each bit of kit cost, divided by how many brews it has done and buying right instead of buying tight will usually be the winner...

2c. out.

I'm about 15 brews into BIAB now and started with the stovetop which was the best learning experience I could have had. The last 8 have been with one of Craftbrewers 70ltr pots on a large gas burner that I already had. I looked around on the net heaps and the CB pot was the cheapest and best by far. Admitedly I live close by so freight wasn't an issue. I'm glad I went this way as the 70litre pot gives me a heap more options than a 40ltr urn would have. If I go 3v down the track I'm already a third of the way there, not that I think this is an option at this stage I love my bag!

jyo has had some experience with their pots... not so good. Some other have seemed to have had no dramas....

Again, do the math on each bit of kit cost, divided by how many brews it has done and buying right instead of buying tight will usually be the winner...

2c. out.

he's not the only one, mine leaked

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=737641

and that was not phil jones' doing

I think urns where an easy option for people when there weren't easy alternatives. Lets face it a S's pot/element/fittings for like $250 and you are laughing. A cheap stepped bit to drill for the fittings isn't a huge expense. Also if the element where to die its easy to swap out and could even have a spare on hand for $40. Sorry but a 40lt urn vs a 50-70lt pot with the ability to do double batches in the 70.. No comparison if not factoring in the small amount of Diy work.

I bought an 8L stainless pot from HandyImports for a herms heat ex. Pretty average quality but hey, you get what you pay for....

he's not the only one, mine leaked

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...st&p=737641

and that was not phil jones' doing

Yep, I did the same for my new build, I thought 3x Handy Import pots, how cheap for a stainless start..... [To copy yours :ph34r: ]

Imagine having to refit your rig in 12 months Don, just because you didn't pay that little extra at the start... You would then buy Robinox or similar out of coming to the realisation that you get what you pay for... Do it at the start people!

Santa brought me 2 of Ross' pots which I would say, is a great, middle to high ground, as far as price versus quality..... but after researching and reading about Handy Imports pots, I would never buy one, I was going all Robinox but 'santa' meant the best.. bless her heart.

Obviously, each to their own.

But any people on the build/buy reading this, you get what you pay for = How many times do you wanna buy your brewery bits? do the math...

End rant.

14.34c

BTW: I am sure there are heaps of users of Handy Imports pots who are heading for the reply button but I am asking for anyone who spent money on a good pot to post a bad experience, as there is heaps about the cheapies..

Oh, and PJIAC.

Yep, I did the same for my new build, I thought 3x Handy Import pots, how cheap for a stainless start..... [To copy yours :ph34r: ]

Imagine having to refit your rig in 12 months Don, just because you didn't pay that little extra at the start... You would then buy Robinox or similar out of coming to the realisation that you get what you pay for... Do it at the start people!

Santa brought me 2 of Ross' pots which I would say, is a great, middle to high ground, as far as price versus quality..... but after researching and reading about Handy Imports pots, I would never buy one, I was going all Robinox but 'santa' meant the best.. bless her heart.

Obviously, each to their own.

But any people on the build/buy reading this, you get what you pay for = How many times do you wanna buy your brewery bits? do the math...

End rant.

14.34c

BTW: I am sure there are heaps of users of Handy Imports pots who are heading for the reply button but I am asking for anyone who spent money on a good pot to post a bad experience, as there is heaps about the cheapies..

Oh, and PJIAC.

choose your tradesmen with the same attention you give to the pots

PJIABIGC

Righto, clearly i am incorrect in my recollection of the handy import stuff. I must be thinking of something else...

Truman, once again, my apologies mate.

Manticle, also my apologies, as ive linked you to buying their products in the past and been happy with the result.
My sincere apologies. I will gladly back away from this discussion and from all other talking out of my arse!

Carry on gentlemen!

I think urns where an easy option for people when there weren't easy alternatives. Lets face it a S's pot/element/fittings for like $250 and you are laughing. A cheap stepped bit to drill for the fittings isn't a huge expense. Also if the element where to die its easy to swap out and could even have a spare on hand for $40. Sorry but a 40lt urn vs a 50-70lt pot with the ability to do double batches in the 70.. No comparison if not factoring in the small amount of Diy work.

Some good advice there methinks... :super:

Yeah, good post, Keiffer.

I have had a bad experience with the handy stockpot. No holes -yet- but lots of rust. :angry:

But hey, their urns may awesome.

Manticle, also my apologies, as ive linked you to buying their products in the past and been happy with the result.
My sincere apologies. I will gladly back away from this discussion and from all other talking out of my arse!

Carry on gentlemen!

I've never used a handy import pot (or HI anything) so it certainly wasn't me recommending them.

Bit late replying but only just saw this and thought I should clarify.

FTR I use a chef inox brand 4mm aluminium pot for my HLT and a keggle for my kettle (totally legit one). I recommend either of these without hesitation (not relevant to urns unless constructing your own with an element etc)

I love my new HLT. Cost:

Old keggle - 70 (I bought it with one welded fitting so assume legit)
Fittings - 6+17+5 = 28
Element - 40
Welding and hole cut for element - 25
Power cable - 10
Small length of silicon tube (sight gauge) - ~5
Postage - ~10 max
~188 all up.

50L kettle

Ymmv.

Back