Handy Gadgets

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Linz

I have one of those Maccas syrup kegs. I also priced them from the manufacturer a couple of years ago. About $300 new!!! :angry:
They work very well but you have to keep the pressure relatively low when gassing your beer as they aren't designed for that kind of pressure. (the base of mine swelled out) however mine has done me very well.

Hoops

Linz said:
My filter choked on the hop pellet residue. Does it normally slow down to a trickle,GMK???(BTW first time use last night with variable tap below it)It did its job though
Linz

Mine dont usually choke - however, occasionally it does.

I only use the tap on the fermenter....

When, if it chokes....i just turn the fermenter tap off - pull the tube off and open the in line filter and check it.

I have bought the longer 13mm in-line filter. Only unscrews at the top and not at the bottom.

Wedge

1mm holes are a bit too big for sieving out the hop pellets.

Will also cost more than mine.

hope this helps

I have used GMK's filter system heaps and had no drama's - my robust porter has a thick layer of hop pellet residue on the bottom and if the filter clogs, just turn off the tap, remove the cartridge, couple of taps against the drip bucket and we're back in business!

Ken's filter is a beaut idea and makes racking a piece of cake!

Cheers,
TL

I made a handy gadget over the xmas break from an idea I got off this forum. Can't remember who suggested it.

Got a piece of MDF (moisture resistant) and drilled 42 holes with my hole saw (7 rows of 6). A piece of 4x2 at each end to raise itoff the ground and there is a perfect bottle drainer.

Sanitise then tip them upside down to drain. 42 is just right for a 23 litre batch, using a mixture of bottle sizes.

okay, i decided to give the inline filter a try.
went up to the rural store at lunch.
picked one up for $6.75
look the goods too.
next time i rack my brew, or transfer from the boiler to the fermenter
i'll be giving this a go.

cheers & thanks for the tip
crackers

Back