Hallertauer Flower Plugs

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SJW

As you must brew, so you must drink
Reaction score
I am doing a Oktoberfest 3kg part mash tonight and am using 20g of Northern Brewer for bittering and have got some Hallertauer pellets and 2 plugs for flavor/aroma. My question is what can i use to put the plugs in so i dont get all those flowers in my boil, as i find them a bitch to sieve out. Can i use one of the Mrs stockings or would they disolve or melt? I am sure Ken would have a few clues ;)

Why don't you throw them in the mash? You will get about a 15% bitterness extraction. But the aroma/flavour extraction will be significant and, at mash temps it will be stable enough not to be denatured in the boil. Sort of a First wort hop only earlier! Similar Effect.

Regards
Dave

I used to use stockings all the time in my part mash boils for that reason. No need to boil first or anything, just pluck up the courage to buy the cheapest pair in the local deli, knot it up and away you go. I used to always put the hop pellets in stocking, until I realised I was getting a much lower utilisation than you would get for exactly the same boil without a stocking.

Dave - I would have thought that any aroma extraction within the mash would be driven off in the boil, since we're dealing with volatile compounds? Or are you saying that the mash temperatures the malt will somehow incorporate and stabilise these compounds?

I must admit I don't understand how this could happen while having the aromatic properties preserved.

Kai
Do a search of first wort hopping on grumpys, they have a bit on how the compounds stick in the beer and dont get boiled off (or something, cant remember exactly). I havent done a search for it on here though I assume as most of the same guys are on both forums, it would also have been covered on here

Guest Lurker
Boiling in stockings reduces the hop utilisation? Do you know by how much, and do ya have any idea where I could find more info on it. I use stockings cause I dont have a big boil pot and I dont have a tap in it to leave the trub in the bottom. Any info would be appreciated.
Cheers
Trent

First wort hopping is about the pH of the runnings prior to the boil I think, allows aroma compounds to be fixed and survive the boil.

I remember reading somewhere (dont know where now) that stocking bags may reduce hop utilisation by about 10%. Just from comparing brews where the main difference was using a stocking bag and not, from the bitterness, I think it would be higher. I used to squeeze the hop bag against a slotted spoon to get everything out before removing them. But I think the problem is once they turn to sludge, you only get wort contact at the outside of the bag, not around the surface of every pellet.

Ah, here we go.. Palmer says the aroma compounds oxidise to form more stable compounds.

SJW & Kai

Mash hopping works well - i allways have some in the mash.
Note that they recomend pellets for mash hopping - better utilisation and perhaps less problems with stuck sparges. I have only ever mash hopped with pellets.
Kai would have tried the 666 Demon Ale i made on Anzac Day if he was at chillers last sunday - that was mash hopped and FWH. No dry hopped - as it didn't need it.

FWH i allways do too.

Never use stockings - tried boiling a new pair and still got off/dye flavours.

For the plugs - Dry Hop with them in the secondary.
Perfect for this. Just used Tassie goldings flowers for Dry Hopping with the JS Strong ALe - just needed an extra GMKaying....result was excellent.
Alot of the Canberra Brewers only use plugs for dry hopping.

Then run it thru the GMK Filter into the keg/bottling bucket - job done.

Hope this helps.

GMK said:
Kenny

They must have been used ones. If you must go the used option, then never use the gusset area.

Guest Lurker said:
GMK said:
Kenny

They must have been used ones. If you must go the used option, then never use the gusset area.
New the jokes would come....

Gusset didn't matter - used crotchless... :rolleyes:
Bought some of the KY keg lube while i was there too...

Got some strange looks.... <_<

Back