Half US-05 half kit yeast

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stephenaf

Reaction score
Hi quick question. I half half a packet of Us-05 let over from a small brew. I'm about to do a Coopers pale ale partial mash from the sticker. Could I use half this packet plus half of the coopers kit Yeast?

I dunno if the us-05 us any good now though. Been in the freezer for 2 weeks with a clip on the packet

if it's been in the freezer, then it's quite likely the yeast could be dead. the best place to store packs is in the fridge. i wouldn't bother putting them in mate.

edit: if you can, just buy a fresh new pack :)

Yeah i dunno why I I chucked it in the freezer. Homebrew stores closed now. Will just have to use the kit yeast

what you could do with it, so you don't waste it, is use it as nutrient for your kit yeast.

with the water you boil to add with your can and fermentables, throw in the rest of your us-05 and let it boil for 10 mins. then pour this into your fermenter with your kit and sugars and it will help your kit yeast kick off a bit faster and healthier.

edit again!

in case what i wrote doesn't make sense. boil 2 litres of water. when it gets to the boil, throw in the rest of your us-05. let it boil for about 10 mins. then add this boiled water to your tin and your sugars as you put it all in the fermenter. to up with water to your full volume, pitch the kit yeast. :)

Sorry should explain. I'm mashing about 1kg of grain to add to the kit. Following the sticky guide on this forum

Dry yeast is better stored in the fridge, but just 2 weeks in the freezer won't kill it. I

Latest posts

Back