Half batch starter?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bcp

poפ ɹǝǝq
Reaction score
There's probably something really wrong with this idea, but it would be helpful to understand what it is.

Haven't been able to brew for 9 months and have a wyeast 1272 american ale yeast that I've had for that long. Popped the bag yesterday and it has swelled, but not fully. Grain and grape is a long way away and it's expensive to post just the yeast. Since I'm brewing an IPA I definitely want a healthy dose of yeast to get going.

So desperation produces ideas, and I know there must be something wrong with this one:
Why not use half the batch as a starter?
Does adding oxygenated wort a few days later lead to staling?

Have a look at drauflaussen.
Neither a bad idea, nor an original one (but smart people came up with the idea so no shame in following)

There is a bit of reading around on this one Brett. The trick is to add the remaining wort after 24 hours but I don't recall any requirement to oxygenate again. I also can't recall what the historical name is for the process. I'm sure someone with a better memory will chime in.

Brilliant. Works for lazy people like me. Thanks guys.

Tooooo much travel. Almost forgot how to brew. i was down to my last bottles.

Latest posts

Back