Haier 324 chest freezer - removing/extending light cable

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

laxation

Phlegm TB
Reaction score
So because I'm a dumass I bought a new freezer and didn't notice this stupid fkn cable joining the lid and body...

I need to remove it or extend it to fit a collar. Does anyone know how to do this? I figure extending is easy, I'll ask an electrician mate, but thought I'd see if anyone has experience with it

It is just for the interior roof light, so I don't mind if it's gone or extended, but ideally I don't want to void the warranty

Attachments

• IMG_20171113_222304_01.jpg
    IMG_20171113_222304_01.jpg
    14.2 KB · Views: 145
Extending the cable would involve cutting it? You can't avoid voiding the warranty.

Slap some white electrical tape on the wound, they won't notice it!

Extending the cable would involve cutting it? You can't avoid voiding the warranty.

Slap some white electrical tape on the wound, they won't notice it!
I figured there'd be some way to conceal it no matter what I did...
My mate suggested there might be extra chord in the roof so will look there too

I assume there is an access panel on the side or back, take it off and see if you can trace the cable. Should hopefully be able to disconnect near the compressor somewhere.

If you have a mate that is a sparky, he should be able to just replace the cable with a longer one for a couple of bucks.

Putting a collar in the freezer will void your warranty anyway.

If you remove the grill at the back you can sneak some slack out there. I scored enough to keep the light working and no cable mods.
Next in list is to work out how to turn light on when lid open and bit just when freezer turns on.

I tried the back, but yanking on it didn't release any more slack :( did you do anything in particular to get more out?

if that doesn't work should be OK to get a mate to replace the line with a longer one

i recently have built a kezzer , I did try to extend the power lead to the light , as mine was a simple connector.
I decided against cutting wires and in the end I had enough length to scrape by.

in fact the light is pretty useless

There may be a clamp holding the cable in place. It's possible if you loosen the clamp you'll be able to get a bit more length - that's what happens with the F&P's anyway.

There may be a clamp holding the cable in place. It's possible if you loosen the clamp you'll be able to get a bit more length - that's what happens with the F&P's anyway.
where would I look for the clamp? on the lid or in the compressor area

Follow the lead in through the compressor area

I have the same (except bigger 519L) version of freezer as that, and am near completing my build. I cut the lead and added a new 100mm piece of extension cable, using screw terminals (in case the lid needs to be removed again later) and covered it with electrical tape.
I think these are built by F&P so it might be worth trying Earl's advice first (RE clamp).

Latest posts

Back