Hahn Wit

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Gout

Bentleigh Brau Haus
Reaction score
anyone had there wheat beer?

What did you think,

and wat about the claim to be within began style.

Its interesting beer i thouht, smooth creamy and light wheat flavour, Nice on todays hot day.

No bannana or clove thought not overy cloudy, not thick, and i dont imagin its like the real thing still i'll enjoy this stubby because i dont think i'll get another (was x-mas pressy, they did well for non beer drinkers, import beers 2 wheats etc)

Ben said:
anyone had there wheat beer?

What did you think,

and wat about the claim to be within began style.

Its interesting beer i thouht, smooth creamy and light wheat flavour, Nice on todays hot day.

No bannana or clove thought not overy cloudy, not thick, and i dont imagin its like the real thing still i'll enjoy this stubby because i dont think i'll get another (was x-mas pressy, they did well for non beer drinkers, import beers 2 wheats etc)
Don't confuse Wit (see http://www.bjcp.org/styleguide19.html) with Weizen (see http://www.bjcp.org/styleguide17.html).

Hahn witbier is a wit. Wits don't have clove or banana aromas from a weizen yeast. They have orange and spice aromas from orange and spices!

Also, wits are made with a large proportion of unmalted wheat, whereas weizens are made with malted wheat and barley.

So compare it with a Hoegaarden Wit or other Belgian witbier rather than a hefeweizen.

I tasted a Hahn Witbier before I'd experienced actual Belgian wits, so at the time I first tasted it, I thought it was the best beer in the world ever. :) Now I realise there are much better examples of the style out there and that the style is interesting but not my favourite. Still, I think Chuck's version is marginally better than St Arnou's Wit (depending on the day) and a league ahead of the brew I tried at a Wollongong brewpub that I choose not to name...

ahhhh that might explain my confusion, nice drop for mega swill. tried a hahn ice yesterday oooooh yuck its the worst beer (if not the worst still dam yuck)

Time for a funny story.

About 3 years ago or so, when Hahn Wit was first released, coincided with me deciding that I was bored with megaswill and wanting to try something different. I picked up a few 6 packs at the local bottle shop of various beers but either they were too similar to VB/Cold/whatever that I didn't enjoy them, or the ones I liked were too expensive (Sam Adams, Pilsner Urquell etc) for everyday drinking.

Well, I picked up some Hahn Wit to give it a go. It was no more expensive than Crown Lager but I really enjoyed it - something a bit different and delicious. I looked up on the Net some info about Wit, which lead on to me discovering that there were various styles etc. I must have gone through a few :D cases and got thinking that maybe I should take up home brewing again after a lapse of 15 or so years - surely I could use one of those wheat kits or something.

Well, I did get back into it. I've been kegging for a while and now I'm getting into AG. I have a nice Wiezen (no, not a Wit) as one of my house beers and still enjoying it.

And to think, if it wasn't for Hahn Wit I'd still be drinking Tooheys - nothwithstanding they're both Lion Nathan :p

Trev

Trev,
Now that you mention it, Hahn witbier started the snowball that is now my brewing obsession too. I ~believe~ I tried it before the James Squire range hit the streets.

I was in Victoria,on the Peninsula, I recall, and after a hot day of driving grabbed a six pack from a supermarket in Rosebud. A day that changed my palate for ever :) Maybe the heat and my thirst made it seem like the best beer I'd ever tasted... maybe they've changed the recipe since? Must have been in early 2001 that I tried it.

PM,

Given how much time and money we've both put into this obsession over the last few years, do you think there's any chance we can claim damages against them ;)

Trev

I tried this beer in sydney last year, up in the centrepoint tower. I really didnt like the beer, didnt even end up finishing it. Heres my notes:

AROMA 3/10 APPEAR 1/5 FLAV 4/10 PALATE 2/5 OVERALL 7/20
4/4/2003: This is a wit??? Pours cloudy yellow with a very short lasted small white head. Slightly sweet aroma, not much there though. Sweet, slightly tart flavour, very similar to redback but a little more watery.

I think its the worst wit I've tried :(

Latest posts

Back