Hahn Premium Attempt

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Uncle Fester

Old, Grumpy and PROUD of it!
Reaction score
Learned colleagues,

I was thinking of trying a Hahn Premium(ish) type of kit brew. Was intending to use a lager (Coopers or Coopers heritage) and adding some corn starch, and some Hersbruker hops. Should I add them in a boil, add to the fermenter, or dry hop in the fridge for a week to get the best effect?

How much should I use? Are there alternative hops to Hersbruker that can give the same result? eg: hallertau?? (I say hersbruker, solely since that is the hop that Lion Nathan claim to use, late in the brewing process according to their web site)

Simply trying to get an above average result without going to too much trouble (being the lazy sod that I am).

Thanks,

John.

:chug:

G'day Mandrakar,

Depending on how much you are boiling etc. I'd go for some Hersbrucker late in a short boil and some Hersbrucker plugs if you can get them dry hopped into secondary - although this may result in more aroma than the real thing, but that's good in my opinion... The main thing whichever way you go will be to use a decent lager yeast and to ferment cold, ie: 10 degrees with a good 3 weeks minimum lagering time. Otherwise you won't get the crisp lager flavours you are after.

Good luck,

Shawn.

Im fairly certain from my Kit Brewing days that a good Hahn Clone was Morgans Blue mountain lager with brew booster #15 and a bag of hersbruker finishing hops.
From memory (which is fading fast!), it turned out to be a reasonable beer.

Latest posts

Back