Haha, sorry, another idea rattling around in my head...

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pixiedust

Reaction score
I have two tins of Morgans Old here, planning to make one of them up over the weekend.

Could I add cocoa/chocolate, etc to it to make a chocolate type beer? Or is it better with a stout?

Anything else I need to add?

Went into town today and got all sorts if interesting things from my LHBS!

Hi PD

I have never added chocolate to a kit beer but I have to an AG. I can't see why it won't work in an Old style beer As a guide I usually but 200g of block chocolate ito my chocolate porter 23 L batch. I recently put more in but ended up with a problem with head retention because of the fat I think. My advice is too start with a small amt then try more later. Make sure it is well dissolved in the hot water before you add it.

Good luck

Can I suggest that use make your thread titles useful. U might get more help.

Loads of info on here. Heres a start aboit choc in beer generally. There are kit recipes listed on here if u have a search around. However the priciples for adding choc to beer is the same regardless of method of making beer (excl using choc malt grain).

Basicly fat from choc creates head retention issues. There is also an efficiency issue. Some methods better than others.

Have a hunt around for k&k recipes etc on ahb. So many ideas and info.

http://aussiehomebrewer.com/index.php?app=core&module=search&do=search&fromMainBar=1

Thanks Jimmy :). So when you say melt in water, do you actually mean melt it with water, or melt it over water (ie a double boiler)?

Good thought. Probably over water. As long as you can get it to dissolve into the brew. I add mine to the boil, which is not applicable for your brew.

Ok, I shall experiment in the morning. Cooking chocolate is something that there is a lot of in this house, lol.

Pixiedust said:
Ok, I shall experiment in the morning. Cooking chocolate is something that there is a lot of in this house, lol.
Try and use 80% dark chocolate. Its cheap at Aldi. Just use your Old kit and your other usual malts. Put 200g of Aldi chocolate in the fermenter and pour in 1L boiling water and let choc dissolve then add the rest of the ingredients as you normally would.

Cheers

From my experience in cooking, cooking chocolate has less of the fats in it that may contribute to the lack of head retention?

I have some rich dark chocolate leftover from making hubby a mud cake for his birthday last weekend, so will try that.

(And the closest Aldi is oh, 600km? Away!)

Latest posts

Back