Habaneros

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jiesu

Reaction score
Howdy brewers.
Im cooking up a batch of some puerco Pibil this evening but I cant find any Habanero chillis to make the recipe, It is nowhere
near as good when they are substituted for other chillis. Anyone have any Ideas on where to pick up 3 or 4 in Sydney?
I have tried a couple of local coles and Thomas Dux to no avail.

Cheers Guys.

And for your eating pleasure here is the recipe.

Robert Rodriguez's Puerco Pibil
5 pounds pork butt, cut into 2 inch cubes
banana leaves
C orange juice
C vinegar
2 T salt
juice of 5 lemons
8 cloves garlic
2 habanero peppers, chopped
1 T tequila
annatto paste: in a coffee grinder finely grind 5 T annatto seeds, 2 tsp cumin, 1 T black peppercorns, 8 pieces allspice, and tsp cloves

1. In a blender, blend annatto paste and the rest of the ingredients except banana leaves and pork.
2. In a large bowl mix pork and annatto mixture until pork is evenly coated.
3. Line a deep roasting pan with banana leaves, put the pork mixture and cover with another layer of banana leaves. Cover tightly with tin foil and bake in a 325 F oven for 4 hours.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's nothing quite like the fruity flavour of a habanero. Sadly, just about all of the domestically-grown habs go straight to industry (saucemakers etc).

However, if you call 0432 507 521 or 0407 075206, they should be able to sort you out with either sliced & pickled habanero from Mexico, and also whole dried habs for under $5 for 15 grams. Ask also if they have anything fresh. They are at Unit 15, 16 Loyalty Road, North Rocks, but you should call first before going there.

They also have annatto / achiote powder if you find it hard to source annatto seeds. That would also be an essential part of the recipe.

Thanks Silo, I picked up the annatto from Herbies in Balmain, An epic little shop in balmain for herbs and Spices. Ill call now,
I hope they have fresh ones!

**Nope no fresh ones.

the hunt continues.

I saw some in Lakemba late last year in an Indian grocer. I saw some a few days ago as a rare appearance in the Coles at the top of my street. I reckon you should check out some Indian grocers if you have them close by.

Indians use Habs ? Be keen to get a couple of kilograms myself to make the annual sauce batch, as this years homegrown didnt fare so well.

Can you remember where in Lakemba the shop is, I go there from time to time to eat. Assuming its on Haldon St - but which end ?

Indians use Habs ? Be keen to get a couple of kilograms myself to make the annual sauce batch, as this years homegrown didnt fare so well.

Can you remember where in Lakemba the shop is, I go there from time to time to eat. Assuming its on Haldon St - but which end ?

Yeah, I can remember.

They did not always have them in the store. And I never actually heard them refer to the chillis as Habs, they just refered to them as the small round (I guess compared to the other very long ones stocked) hot ones. The store is basically directly opposite the stairs at the northern exit of the train station, somewhere near the zebra crossing, and it is a fruit/veg store. I have seen both orange and red versions.

I gave some to my ol' man to grow, and he touched his face after threading them up with a needle and thread. Unhappy Jan.

ED: If you go to Lakemba, have a za'atar from the little place close to Haldon and Gillies St (not opp) for me. I miss them a lot.

El Manara, maybe ? For some odd reason everytime I'm in the area its closed . My fave is Jasmin's, on the other side of the train line, but always good to try a new place.

Damn it, I'm going to try and get there tomorrow for lunch !

Cheers by the way for the fruit shop tip off, I'll take a look.

Well I couldn't find Habaneros anywhere so I had to resort to Jalepenos and some pickled Habaneros i had in the fridge. It wont be as nice as
just fresh habs but what can you do. Please update us if anyone finds a good source.
Maybe it is time to plant some more varieties.

Cheers

Don't know where you're located but the Fiji Market at the south end of King St Newtown often has fresh habaneros.

I can check tomorrow if anyone's interested.

PP

El Manara, maybe ? For some odd reason everytime I'm in the area its closed . My fave is Jasmin's, on the other side of the train line, but always good to try a new place.

Damn it, I'm going to try and get there tomorrow for lunch !

Cheers by the way for the fruit shop tip off, I'll take a look.
No, the bakery next to Al/El Manara. The za'atar's are really only breakfast though. I still used to eat them for lunch... and breakfast.

Yeah, Jasmin is good, so is La Roche. Dammit! I'm hungry.

Good luck on your hab search Daft Templar.

Well I couldn't find Habaneros anywhere so I had to resort to Jalepenos and some pickled Habaneros i had in the fridge. It wont be as nice as
just fresh habs but what can you do. Please update us if anyone finds a good source.
Maybe it is time to plant some more varieties.

Cheers
You swapped fresh haberneros for pickled jalepenos. Isnt that totally different ends of heat and flavour for chillis. All the habernero plant I have had are mutha feckin hot and used for tom foolery with mates.

brad

You swapped fresh haberneros for pickled jalepenos. Isnt that totally different ends of heat and flavour for chillis. All the habernero plant I have had are mutha feckin hot and used for tom foolery with mates.

brad

Yeah pretty much, the sliced pickled Habaneros taste more like pickling vinegar then anything resembling a chili, you can eat them by the fork full, If you remove the membrane and seeds Habaneros arn't that hot, particularly when cooked, however their unique taste is still there. The pork was good although I was defienetly missing the Habs!
I used the whole Jalepeno (seeds and membrane included) and doubled the amount, I also added a chipotle peper and It only had a little heat at the end, However I made some super spicy beans to go with it to makeup for the medium heat meat.

Habs are dead easy to grow. All you need is one pod and sow the seeds. I scored a pod last year and grew 5 plants from a few of them. Quite productive and now have hab city in my freezer. Quite like a Devils Tongue, fruity and citrisy. Yum. Lovely raw in salads and cooked into curries!

daft templar said:
Well I couldn't find Habaneros anywhere so I had to resort to Jalepenos and some pickled Habaneros i had in the fridge.
bradsbrew said:
You swapped fresh haberneros for pickled jalepenos.
Such spelling. So conversation. Many +ops.

Two takeaways of frozen orange ones + more on the plant, my sympathy goes out to you.,..

Latest posts

Back