GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
but the relays are still under the guten I assume. So it's just the control panel that's corded?
That’s one reason that I used a grainfather controller. Bluetooth controlled via their app. I just had to isolate the heaters and I wired them up via a plug same with the pump
I got a second hand gf controller that had some pixels gone in the screen (grainfather gave me a new screen)
All up cost me about $90 for the upgrade

Hmm think I'm okay following a how to build it instruction but learning to program is a big ask. However I will look into it. As you say the nuts and bolts are there just needs a spanner or torque wrench to tighten it.

I went for the smartPID as a controller for a number of reasons.

I had settled on Brewfather as my recipe software of choice so wanted something to integrate with that via wifi if possible.
I wanted to be able to install it to the can and not have it external requiring extra plugs and cable.
I wanted a kit that meant I didn’t have to find other bits and pieces to make it work or fit properly.

smartPID ticked all of the boxes, yes it was way more expensive than other options but to me seemed a more complete solution. I was happy to pay for the fact that it was brew specific kit that someone had spent time and money on developing and offering integration with other software as well as a standalone controller app for android.
You can dial in the PID settings yourself or it has an auto tune function to get you started in very little time.

Brewfather integration transfers the recipe at the click of a mouse so there’s no double handling of programming mash steps / boil and hop additions - it even runs cooling and whirlpool timers with temps per your recipe with alarms for each step.
If you want you can go manual mode programming each step as you go. It controls the pump automatically but you can override that with manual control either via the panel or software.

overall it’s pretty versatile, it’s taken a couple of brews to get my brain out of the old controller programming habits and get dialled in but I’m happy with it so far.
instead of the double sided tape to fasten it to the can I used sika and clamped it nice and tight which made for a better finish in my opinion.

Attachments

• 43BF27CB-FB24-4033-A858-082AFF5C18E0.jpeg
    43BF27CB-FB24-4033-A858-082AFF5C18E0.jpeg
    276.1 KB · Views: 82
  • E78CE166-7A93-415E-83D9-3C833302C99A.jpeg
    E78CE166-7A93-415E-83D9-3C833302C99A.jpeg
    208.9 KB · Views: 77
  • 37BA27BB-BDB3-4590-9C3A-4CA4C0BDD86B.jpeg
    37BA27BB-BDB3-4590-9C3A-4CA4C0BDD86B.jpeg
    234.7 KB · Views: 74
I went for the smartPID as a controller for a number of reasons.

I had settled on Brewfather as my recipe software of choice so wanted something to integrate with that via wifi if possible.
I wanted to be able to install it to the can and not have it external requiring extra plugs and cable.
I wanted a kit that meant I didn’t have to find other bits and pieces to make it work or fit properly.

smartPID ticked all of the boxes, yes it was way more expensive than other options but to me seemed a more complete solution. I was happy to pay for the fact that it was brew specific kit that someone had spent time and money on developing and offering integration with other software as well as a standalone controller app for android.
You can dial in the PID settings yourself or it has an auto tune function to get you started in very little time.

Brewfather integration transfers the recipe at the click of a mouse so there’s no double handling of programming mash steps / boil and hop additions - it even runs cooling and whirlpool timers with temps per your recipe with alarms for each step.
If you want you can go manual mode programming each step as you go. It controls the pump automatically but you can override that with manual control either via the panel or software.

overall it’s pretty versatile, it’s taken a couple of brews to get my brain out of the old controller programming habits and get dialled in but I’m happy with it so far.
instead of the double sided tape to fasten it to the can I used sika and clamped it nice and tight which made for a better finish in my opinion.
The grainfather control does all that the smartPID does except it’s Bluetooth. Yes wifi would be much better but I never am far away when brewing anyway
I also like the fact that it’s a lot easier to hookup the GF unit just plug and play. Also the fact that you can mount the unit where you like
One reason that I wanted a controller remote from the brew unit was that I got sick of standing on my head to get to the controller. Due to crook shoulders I need to have the SVB low so I can lift the malt pipe (I haven’t built a lifting crane for it yet)

@Ballaratguy

I'm not that keen seeing kettles of boiling wort at eyelevel on benches, just dangerous. I wonder whether the tiltbridge device for relaying bluetooth Tilt signals to wifi could be used or adapted to get you a wifi link that you don't really need? Best to ask @LBussy on homebrewtalk.com about that.

Grainfather is nice but brewfather integration with Guten via SmartPID is next level.
Funny how a single app developer can provide a 10x better user experience (in brewfather) vs Grainfather with their app that hasn't really been enhanced in any serious way since it was launched 3-4 years ago.

@Ballaratguy

I'm not that keen seeing kettles of boiling wort at eyelevel on benches, just dangerous. I wonder whether the tiltbridge device for relaying bluetooth Tilt signals to wifi could be used or adapted to get you a wifi link that you don't really need? Best to ask @LBussy on homebrewtalk.com about that.
It’s the GF controller that’s at a comfortable height to use remotely from the SVB which is still 100mm above ground level

I had removed a built in BBQ in my back yard and put the guten there, so probably 40-50cm off the ground. I felt this was a good working height.

Backyard is currently being re-done though, so no brewing for me at the moment.

Just the mention of barbecue in our neighbourhood and it would start to rain. I wouldn't want the guten sitting in a puddle!

Having seen the floods in some parts of Aus and recent in NZ 50cm not high enough up. But you have a reserve shelf that you could stand it on and then you stand on the shelf the guten is currently standing on.

That whole thing was demolished a week and a half ago. The slab it was on sinking and cracking. There will be a similar one going back in, but the current plan is to put a sink in where the Guten is in that image, Currently there's no water supply near there so I walk back and forth with jugs of water. and I'm going to build a trolley for the Guten that fits all my gear.

That moment when you dough in, and think it went in so beautifully, mixed well and not a dough ball in sight. Then you think "hang on, I'm covering up the return pipe".

...and then it hits you: the entire malt pipe is still sitting on the bench.

F$*#

Yep. Luckily I 1) still had my old 19 L brew pot to hold everything (I do 8.5 L batches), and 2) the false bottom stopped most of the grain from getting to the pump.

Pouring off wort, ladling grain, rinsing bits of stuck grain with wort, blasting some tap water through the return hose to clean out the pump, tipping into old brew pot, inserting malt pipe and starting again. Oh, and taking years off my life and the GUTEN's life + waking every dog in the neighbourhood by taking the false bottom out and putting it back in.

I suspect the brew will finish drier due to 20+ mins of being well below target mash temp as a result, but who knows? Might be an accidentally great beer.

Does anyone have a working profile for the Guten 70 litre version? Preferably for Brewfather - Im using the Grainfather 70l profile but it isnt quite right

Cheers

Here's mine. I'm still tweaking it though, only done a handful of double batches so far. Sorry not sure how to export so just saved screenshots.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2021-11-14-09-01-43-19_293bcf179c8b88a0eeff8972adf12894.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-14-09-01-43-19_293bcf179c8b88a0eeff8972adf12894.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2021-11-14-09-01-28-39_293bcf179c8b88a0eeff8972adf12894.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-14-09-01-28-39_293bcf179c8b88a0eeff8972adf12894.jpg
    48.5 KB · Views: 34
  • Screenshot_2021-11-14-09-01-09-79_293bcf179c8b88a0eeff8972adf12894.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-14-09-01-09-79_293bcf179c8b88a0eeff8972adf12894.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 25
  • Screenshot_2021-11-14-09-00-56-94_293bcf179c8b88a0eeff8972adf12894.jpg
    Screenshot_2021-11-14-09-00-56-94_293bcf179c8b88a0eeff8972adf12894.jpg