GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
does anyone have a PDF copy of the guten manual?
I emailed KK this week to try and get a copy, but no response
My copy has gone walkabout (read: the mrs put it somewhere while cleaning, more than likely under the bathroom sink)
Maybe she put it in one of those places that is easy to remember where it was put, my wife does the same. Will PM you sp0rk with a number to try, pretty sure he translated the manual so he should be able to help you.

Thanks all, the Brew Devil manual worked great
Ended up with terrible efficiency though, I think around 65%
Mashing in 6.25kg of grain with only 22L of strike water probably didn't help...

Last edited:
Thanks all, the Brew Devil manual worked great
Ended up with terrible efficiency though, I think around 65%
Mashing in 6.25kg of grain with only 21L of strike water probably didn't help...

Yeah...~2.3L/kg ratio - that's a bit thicker than is ideal on these systems

Yeah...~2.3L/kg ratio - that's a bit thicker than is ideal on these systems
Yep, I'm thinking I should have done this batch as full volume, mashed out at 78C then lifted the malt pipe and recirculated over the grain bed as a sort of pseudo-sparge to rinse out some residual sugars

That or after reading back through this thread, I've mashed/sparged like you would with a normal mash tun and that's where I've come undone (not accounting for lost mashing volume under the malt pipe)
I mashed in with around about 22L and sparged with 13L
I'm now thinking I should have mashed with closer to 30L then sparged with 5L (I think...)

That or after reading back through this thread, I've mashed/sparged like you would with a normal mash tun and that's where I've come undone (not accounting for lost mashing volume under the malt pipe)
I mashed in with around about 22L and sparged with 13L
I'm now thinking I should have mashed with closer to 30L then sparged with 5L (I think...)
As you have the 50 litre sp0rk try the full volume mash (if you are aiming for a 21 or 23 litre target into the fermenter) I was doing the 30 litre or so and sparging with 3 to 5 litre in the 40 litre Guten, saves a lot of stuffing around sparging for a few dollars more of extra grain.

I made a little thing to keep the pump inlet up a little, its the same height as the false bottom.

gutens.JPG

Gentle angle grinder, they aren't very thick so a light touch with a cutting disc is enough and you can be quite nimble.

You can use the lid to mark where to cut.

First ferment in my Guten fermenter
Time to dump the grub and to dry hop
I’ve made up a temporary version of the Nor Cal brewing supplies yeast brink and hooked it onto my Guten fermenter
The brink allows me to dump the grub for later use and also to inject hops into the fermenter alll without any exposure to oxygen
It’s a bit rugged but it worked
upload_2019-9-28_13-12-56.jpeg

Gentle angle grinder, they aren't very thick so a light touch with a cutting disc is enough and you can be quite nimble.

You can use the lid to mark where to cut.
I didn't even think to use the lid to mark out the shape to cut. Thanks for that. Be interested to see how you go with a beer with a decent amount of hops.

Some musings. Hopefully back in action on the Guten this long weekend, been about three months and my last keg is almost kicked.

Think i am gonna go simple this time and just carefully big spoon whirlpool it, once it is as far down as i can get it with the IC. Then gravity feed it out the front tap.

Probably gonna use the hop spider since i haven't tried a proper whirlpool to settle everything. I still reckon the mesh is far too fine on the one that came with the Guten though.

Some musings. Hopefully back in action on the Guten this long weekend, been about three months and my last keg is almost kicked.

Think i am gonna go simple this time and just carefully big spoon whirlpool it, once it is as far down as i can get it with the IC. Then gravity feed it out the front tap.

Probably gonna use the hop spider since i haven't tried a proper whirlpool to settle everything. I still reckon the mesh is far too fine on the one that came with the Guten though.
You aren't wrong the hop spiders are too fine, from both KL and KK, just throttle back on the tap for a slow steady flow.

brew day went relatively well, the human powered whirlpool worked decently, some stuff did make it into the fermenter but not as much as last time when i didn't whirlpool. That the nut on the back of the tap came loose when i was transferring to the fermenter so i had to hold it against the kettle for the entire transfer.

So that brings me to my question, has anyone else had the bottom screen of their malt pipe warp? mine doesn't fit as snugly as it once did. Maybe an excuse to upgrade to that new bottom screen KK had.

So that brings me to my question, has anyone else had the bottom screen of their malt pipe warp? mine doesn't fit as snugly as it once did. Maybe an excuse to upgrade to that new bottom screen KK had.

Both of my top and bottom plates warped a bit. I got the locking bottom plate from KK and have used that for the last 3 brews - it's much, much better than the standard bottom plate

Now to figure out if i need anything else since i'm copping shipping. How have people found the jacket you can buy for the Guten? Whirlpool arm?

Now to figure out if i need anything else since i'm copping shipping. How have people found the jacket you can buy for the Guten? Whirlpool arm?
Jacket is good addition, whirlpool arm no good if hops aren't contained.
Never have had a problem with the screen, I only use the bottom one, can't see a need for the top screen. If I did find I had a problem with the bottom screen I would put the two screens together.

First ferment in my Guten fermenter
Time to dump the grub and to dry hop
I’ve made up a temporary version of the Nor Cal brewing supplies yeast brink and hooked it onto my Guten fermenter
The brink allows me to dump the grub for later use and also to inject hops into the fermenter alll without any exposure to oxygen
It’s a bit rugged but it worked
View attachment 116626
Hey mate can you explain how this works exactly to tet the hops up into the wort? I would like to build one for my chronical?

EDIT: Just saw a youtube clip on how it works. Can you show a photo of whats on the inside of yours? How you connected up the fittings etc?

Last edited:
Back