GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my set up ready for the next brew, 2 and a bit helix, the vertical is the get out of jail in case it doesn't work.
View attachment 116378
When are you going to try it WEAL?
Ask KK, it's their product, so they should be able to tell you.
Oh wait, WEAL is on here...so yeah, you'll have an answer about it from them then :)
KK can answer for themselves now they are allowed to post on here. I had a gander at the 70 litre can't recall seeing a false bottom then again I wasn't looking for one.

Well my twin bazooka screen was a complete failure (in fact the whole project - Frankenfather has been less than brilliant!). So I think the false bottom in the way to go. As WEAL said you need a bigger surface area or the pump starves.
If you open up the helix, you sought of defeat the purpose! I just wonder if we expect too much out of a single vessel system - expecting it to do what a multi vessel system does? Or is pumping into a bright tank at boiling and letting it settle out the go?
I don’t know! But I do know I have spent far too much on trying to build the perfect single vessel system and after this weekends efforts, I may as well go 3V!

I find that at EOB my wort is clear with suspended particles clumped together. But as soon as I start the pump to whirlpool the clumps all break up and my wort goes cloudy. If Im using the helix the pump slows down and stops (Im using an external Marsh pump). But if i dont whirlpool cooling takes ages. I tried it without the helix and it flowed better but still had cloudy wort and removing the immersion chiller seems to stir up the trub again anyway.

When I used a plate chiller I just stirred with a spoon 5 mins after EOB and let it sit for 10 mins. Crystal clear with a nice trub cone. Still trying to decide if I should go back to either a plate chiller or a CFC as the immersion chiller isnt as good as I thought it would be.
Change the way you use your chiller, I presume your immersion chiller is a SS or copper coil. Do it the other way around. Pass the wort through the chiller, immerse the chiller in something like a 20 L bucket with the ability to pass cooling water in and out. Not as efficient for sure but more convenient. Depending on temperatures, when cooling slows stop cooling water supply and ad ice to the bucket. I often cool this way to 12C. When at pitching temp if possible isolate the chiller so the pump is not restricted and really let your whirlpool spin up for a few minutes. Shut pump off and wait. I usually wait 50+ mins. You will have clear wort with a big cone of shame in the center. Position your intake about 80mm of the bottom (needs to be done before) not connected to the helix. Start transfer to fermenter at full speed. When wort level is close to the intake. Stop. Using a sanitised mash paddle push the intake down into the helix T-piece, no seal required. Restrict pump to a very slow flow, you can now get the last few liters out with no goop in your fermenter. This way the helix only has to filter a small quantity of the total wort and is unlikely to block. Latest brew, I did not bother with the T piece and just pushed the intake down between the helix and the edge. Seemed to work just as well. To get the last bit of precious wort tilt the vessel slowly, cone of shame should not get sucked in.

You will have clear wort with a big cone of shame in the center. Position your intake about 80mm of the bottom (needs to be done before) not connected to the helix.

Quoted mainly for "cone of shame".

This might be the way i try next, but i'll just sacrifice a couple of L as i don't have a helix. What are people using to extend the pump intake? (in this case the 80mm from bottom)

Change the way you use your chiller, I presume your immersion chiller is a SS or copper coil. Do it the other way around. Pass the wort through the chiller, immerse the chiller in something like a 20 L bucket with the ability to pass cooling water in and out. Not as efficient for sure but more convenient. Depending on temperatures, when cooling slows stop cooling water supply and ad ice to the bucket. I often cool this way to 12C. When at pitching temp if possible isolate the chiller so the pump is not restricted and really let your whirlpool spin up for a few minutes. Shut pump off and wait. I usually wait 50+ mins. You will have clear wort with a big cone of shame in the center. Position your intake about 80mm of the bottom (needs to be done before) not connected to the helix. Start transfer to fermenter at full speed. When wort level is close to the intake. Stop. Using a sanitised mash paddle push the intake down into the helix T-piece, no seal required. Restrict pump to a very slow flow, you can now get the last few liters out with no goop in your fermenter. This way the helix only has to filter a small quantity of the total wort and is unlikely to block. Latest brew, I did not bother with the T piece and just pushed the intake down between the helix and the edge. Seemed to work just as well. To get the last bit of precious wort tilt the vessel slowly, cone of shame should not get sucked in.

ROFLMAO at "Cone of shame"

Sounds like a good idea and I will give it a try. Just wondering if you pushed the T piece down in between the helix last time then the helix isnt really needed at all? Could I just have an elbow with a barb that faces up and then as the level gets close spin it around so it faces down to get the last few litres of wort?

ROFLMAO at "Cone of shame"

Sounds like a good idea and I will give it a try. Just wondering if you pushed the T piece down in between the helix last time then the helix isnt really needed at all? Could I just have an elbow with a barb that faces up and then as the level gets close spin it around so it faces down to get the last few litres of wort?
The barb and elbow bit is exactly how I do it.

The barb and elbow bit is exactly how I do it.
Exactly as I have been doing it without a helix, made up a pick up arm and having the patience to wait while it all settles out. I know it shouldn't matter as I do allow for a 2 litre loss in the calculations, but then find it hard to waste it.:)

Well my twin bazooka screen was a complete failure (in fact the whole project - Frankenfather has been less than brilliant!). So I think the false bottom in the way to go. As WEAL said you need a bigger surface area or the pump starves.
If you open up the helix, you sought of defeat the purpose! I just wonder if we expect too much out of a single vessel system - expecting it to do what a multi vessel system does? Or is pumping into a bright tank at boiling and letting it settle out the go?
I don’t know! But I do know I have spent far too much on trying to build the perfect single vessel system and after this weekends efforts, I may as well go 3V!
If you do pump the wort hot, the helix will work, you will only get the break material in the fermenter and now you are the proud owner of the Guten conical you can just dump it.
I am trying to find a solution to us poor people who have the PET fermenters.:)

Last edited:
:) so true WEAL! In fact it is working so well I thinking of getting another!
Just I was really hoping the helix would work!
I see KK has 300 mm false bottoms & I started to wonder ;)
Cheers

If you do pump the wort hot, the helix will work, you will only get the break material in the fermenter and now you are the proud owner of the Guten conical you can just dump it.
I am trying to find a solution to us poor people who have the PET fermenters.:)

This is what I do, why is it bad and also why should I dump it?
  1. I dont use a helix and I drop hop pellets straight in the Guten 50L
  2. After boil, I use the immersion cooler and cool to about 40C (it doesnt take long, may 10mins)
  3. I remove the immersion cooler
  4. Then I whirlpool using a paddle connected to a portable drill, I whirlpool like this for 1 minute
  5. Let it settle for about 15min
  6. Using the Guten inbuilt pump, I pump into the conical fermenter, I use a kitchen metal sieve in between the hose and the fermenter. I usually catch a few debris at the beginning, and near the end.
  7. I cool the fermenter using a glycol chiller to pitching temps, this takes about 30-60m
  8. Add the yeast and dont bother dumping anything until after transfer to keg.

Hmmm ok if the helix works well with the hot wort, I’m thinking that if I pump the wort through the helix into the fermenter and then cool it with the immersion chiller ..........

does anyone have a PDF copy of the guten manual?
I emailed KK this week to try and get a copy, but no response
My copy has gone walkabout (read: the mrs put it somewhere while cleaning, more than likely under the bathroom sink)

Latest posts

Back