GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
RIP lauter helix, it never worked as well as i''d like, it was just easier to hack at when it was blocked.

falsey.JPG

I was wrong in thinking that it was the slimy break material which was the culprit but I was wrong. I did a brew yesterday with a different configuration using the helix managed to keep everything out of my fermenter including the break material. Turns out the culprit is plain old viscosity, three ways to fix high viscosity, 1) Heat up the wort, which is defeating the purpose, 2) A bigger surface area of the filter.
3) Reduce the flow rate.
Next brew I will increase helix length, being careful not to trespass above the elements and put a 8 mm
reducer in the outlet.

And here I was thinking higher flow rate!
Thanks mate
I had more control yesterday, I coiled the helix about 1/4 of the circumference and then up to the top, the malt pipe just fits. The thought being, the clear wort near the top would flush out any break material inside the helix, ran OK for about 4 litres then the helix would gradually fill and discharge. Would have been a slow process but I just gave a gentle pull to open up the coils to let it empty.
Worked alright and never got anything in the fermenter, just need a solution where I can turn the tap on and walk away to do other chores.

RIP lauter helix, it never worked as well as i''d like, it was just easier to hack at when it was blocked.

Let us know how the false bottom goes mate. I might have to buy one and find someone in my homebrew club who can cut it down for me

View attachment 116370
I just cut it to size so it fills the circumference of the Guten. If it blocks I put my stirring paddle between the coil and the Guten wall and gently turn the paddle to open it up the coil just enough to allow flow again. Do that in a couple more spots if needed. Some material will get through, but it settles out in primary anyway.

I just cut it to size so it fills the circumference of the Guten. If it blocks I put my stirring paddle between the coil and the Guten wall and gently turn the paddle to open it up the coil just enough to allow flow again. Do that in a couple more spots if needed. Some material will get through, but it settles out in primary anyway.
I have done the same thing, but there will be an easier way, would like to see how dibbz's false bottom goes and if it can keep the hop debris and break material out of the fermenter. I will be trying the triple helix next brew with reducer.

I have done the same thing, but there will be an easier way, would like to see how dibbz's false bottom goes and if it can keep the hop debris and break material out of the fermenter. I will be trying the triple helix next brew with reducer.
I did the same thing & last time had to do the same. Yesterday I fitted two cut down bazooka screens to the T piece instead, so today I’m trialing it. So far so good

I was thinking about break, probably want the little metal filter thing KK have for the pump input, rip off the mesh and put a bit of silicone tube on to get some clearance off the bottom.

So can you explain the logic with this setup WEAL? Are you thinking that the one Helix gets covered up with trub too easily?
It isn't the trub that is the problem, its the viscosity of the wort, so the filter needs a bigger surface area, I also put a fibre washer behind the tap to reduce the flow. The vertical is only there just in case it doesn't work, I can pull on that to empty the kettle (opening up the coils slightly). If you still have your off cut try it in the kettle with cold water, it only dribbles through, then try it with cold water on the full length and it flows real easy.

It isn't the trub that is the problem, its the viscosity of the wort, so the filter needs a bigger surface area, I also put a fibre washer behind the tap to reduce the flow. The vertical is only there just in case it doesn't work, I can pull on that to empty the kettle (opening up the coils slightly). If you still have your off cut try it in the kettle with cold water, it only dribbles through, then try it with cold water on the full length and it flows real easy.
I find that at EOB my wort is clear with suspended particles clumped together. But as soon as I start the pump to whirlpool the clumps all break up and my wort goes cloudy. If Im using the helix the pump slows down and stops (Im using an external Marsh pump). But if i dont whirlpool cooling takes ages. I tried it without the helix and it flowed better but still had cloudy wort and removing the immersion chiller seems to stir up the trub again anyway.

When I used a plate chiller I just stirred with a spoon 5 mins after EOB and let it sit for 10 mins. Crystal clear with a nice trub cone. Still trying to decide if I should go back to either a plate chiller or a CFC as the immersion chiller isnt as good as I thought it would be.

I shall watch for the outcome with interest.

I read on FB that the 70L will have a false bottom like the competition, any one know if this is correct?
Ask KK, it's their product, so they should be able to tell you.
Oh wait, WEAL is on here...so yeah, you'll have an answer about it from them then :)

Back