GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I am chilling I don't use the helix coil, I use a bazooka/pick up.
002.JPG 004.JPG Nylon reducer down to 8 mm
005.JPG I have 2 different sizes for different vessels.

My main Guten related question is what have people been doing for whirlpool additions/hop stands etc? Looks like i'm going to have about 170g going in after the boil.

Currently while boiling i use the hop spider, then cool using the coil and use the pump to get it into the fermenter. I imagine that doing a hop stand using the spider may not be the best utilisation of the hops and perhaps it would be better to let them roam around the kettle instead? But then i leave myself open to getting all manner of hops into the fermenter and maybe stuck on the coil. Plus then i can't use the pump to transfer and have to use the tap.

Apparently the false bottom for the robobrew/brewzilla works quite well for this and fits the Guten. I haven't used it personally, but have read of a few people who have reported it as being very successful, and it's on my shopping list for my next order. You could also try one of the bog standard domed false bottoms

Someone recently mentioned in a thread, the Guten S/Steel conical fermenter, I wasn't super impressed with the one I saw in KK shop, and because they had released the Snubby I didn't think they were going ahead with it. I have asked about it and it is still going ahead, with changes, larger dump valve, without the chiller, and able to pressure ferment to 15 psi price $199 for 30 litre capacity.
Does it look like this?

https://www.angelhomebrew.co.uk/en/fermentation/391-30l-brewdevil-ss-conical-fermenter.html

I have made and used a bazooka with good results, but I haven't used a reducer, I just crack open the tap very slowly and slowly drain into the fermenter.

I have made and used a bazooka with good results, but I haven't used a reducer, I just crack open the tap very slowly and slowly drain into the fermenter.
I made mine, I put a reducer in because I have the Brau Meister which has a 8 mm orifice for the wort to drain, it works well even without a filter system in place.

I...
My main Guten related question is what have people been doing for whirlpool additions/hop stands etc? Looks like i'm going to have about 170g going in after the boil.

Currently while boiling i use the hop spider, then cool using the coil and use the pump to get it into the fermenter. I imagine that doing a hop stand using the spider may not be the best utilisation of the hops and perhaps it would be better to let them roam around the kettle instead? But then i leave myself open to getting all manner of hops into the fermenter and maybe stuck on the coil. Plus then i can't use the pump to transfer and have to use the tap.

Soooo, experiences and techniques please?

I have the 50L Guten. Like you said, I started with the Hop spider, but the last 2 brews I just chucked the hops in commando.
I whirlpool using this attached to the drill.
After cooling, I use the Guten pump without bazooka and pump directly into the fermenter, I use a household sieve to catch stray particle matter.
Hop debris usually for the first few minutes, then it clears up and pumps without debris.
I've had the pump get stuck once, so I just switched it off and blew into the hose back to dislodge, that clears it up.

Fermenting.
The hops tend to drop to the bottom in the fermenter when I cold crash, I have a conical.
I have never seen hop particles during drinking, the beer is very clear.

I have the 50L Guten. Like you said, I started with the Hop spider, but the last 2 brews I just chucked the hops in commando.

Another very interesting response. I guess i could just give this a go, i had wondered how much abuse the pumps could take. What's the biggest hop addition youve done commando?

Sadly i don't have a conical so i think i'm just gonna cold crash and hope for the best (never cold crashed anything so that'll be another new thing)

Another very interesting response. I guess i could just give this a go, i had wondered how much abuse the pumps could take. What's the biggest hop addition youve done commando?

Sadly i don't have a conical so i think i'm just gonna cold crash and hope for the best (never cold crashed anything so that'll be another new thing)
Are you running the pump during the boil? The temperature rating on these pumps is 80 C.

Are you running the pump during the boil? The temperature rating on these pumps is 80 C.

Never run it during the boil, but i have run it after the boil once the coil is doing it's work. I remember seeing that magical pancake fellow say that he runs his pump through the boil in an attempt to break the pump but he couldn't kill it.

Running the pump during a boil is taking a slight risk, I took my pump apart when I bought my Guten second hand, just to make sure it was clean. It is a plastic impeller with semi open vanes so it really depends on the clearance between the vanes and the pump casing. The heat could distort the plastic running above what Kaixin recommends, then again it could be run throughout the boil if the clearance is substantial, and gotten away with.:)

Now, I know this has been discussed a few times. But what is the best way to clean a "stubborn" scorch on the bottom of the kettle?

Had a difficult mash the other day due to (I assume) a large amount of oats. As a result I got a pretty big scorch on the bottom. I tried my usual cleaning routine, boiling sodium perc, soaking in vinegar, etc. But some of the mark remains. Suggestions??

Now, I know this has been discussed a few times. But what is the best way to clean a "stubborn" scorch on the bottom of the kettle?

Had a difficult mash the other day due to (I assume) a large amount of oats. As a result I got a pretty big scorch on the bottom. I tried my usual cleaning routine, boiling sodium perc, soaking in vinegar, etc. But some of the mark remains. Suggestions??

Acid.

If one product doesn't work for you, then try another that is more acidic, depending on the stubborn-ness of the scorch mark

Latest posts

Back