GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I have but it didnt make lot of sense this time.

It was 1.046 pre boil, after sparge.
It was 1.060 post boil.
Make sure you mix the wort after you sparge, before you take a reading. If you're taking a refrac reading and just getting a sample from the top it is quite diluted.

I have had this happen during a brew before was expecting 1.046 and got 1.016! Slight panic, then realized what had happened. Gave it a stir and it was fine.

Hi all. Got up early to brew this today but my Guten keeps turning on and off. I have a Smartpid installed in it. Ive been using it for a long time. Today its decided to start turning on and off during the mash. It will turn on for about 30 secs and then turn off again. After a minute it will power up again and the Smartpid will ask if I want to resume. Repeat. A bit pissed off. Its only when the elements and pump are going. If I leave it in a menu then its ok.

Any idea's?

Edit: not surprisingly its only when the element is on 100%. Getting to the next mash step is going to take a while :D :(

Last edited:
Any idea's?
When mine did this (no Smartpid) I found a few square inches of charred material on the bottom of the unit. Batch was ruined. Figured I had the pump return pipe open too much and it was taking too much liquid from under the malt pipe.

Don't know if this helps.

Could be right there. It turned of again heating up to the next step. I lifted out the malt pipe to let it drain and it worked fine. I accidentally mashed in at 52c. Trying to put in a recipe at 5.30am was a bad move :rolleyes:. My Bo Pils accidentally got a protein rest so there was a heap of haze. Hopefully it hasnt burned to the bottom. I am pretty carefull when opening up the recirc so should be ok. It was no where near over flowing. Ill give the element a scrape before the boil.

Cheers.

Yep it scorched on the element. Thats a tipper. I also tried the whirlpool arm from KK. You cant use it with the lid on and the pump got blocked which has never happened to me before. I wont bother with it next brew.

the pump got blocked which has never happened to me before
That's what likely happened to me too.

I think I remember WEAL explaining that some combination of the recirc pipe being opened/closed and the pump being switched on/off will result in some drawback into the recirc pipe. I really should pay more attention.

That's what likely happened to me too.

I think I remember WEAL explaining that some combination of the recirc pipe being opened/closed and the pump being switched on/off will result in some drawback into the recirc pipe. I really should pay more attention.
That's true, the tap has to be turned off simultaneously because of the return pipe's height cutting the power to the pump creates a syphon sucking the wort back and any grain in its path.

Nosco ask kegKing the best price on the mag pump from the Guten or Robobrew connect it to the whirlpool and the tap but be aware whether it's the Robobrew or the Guten highest temperature rating is 80 degrees C.

Someone recently mentioned in a thread, the Guten S/Steel conical fermenter, I wasn't super impressed with the one I saw in KK shop, and because they had released the Snubby I didn't think they were going ahead with it. I have asked about it and it is still going ahead, with changes, larger dump valve, without the chiller, and able to pressure ferment to 15 psi price $199 for 30 litre capacity.

Hi guys, Im just trying to setup my beer smith profile and am not 100% sure on the settings for Recoverable mash deadspace and mash dead space losses. I copied the settings from this post here
GUTEN

He had mash tun addition at 3.41 litres and Lauter tun losses at 3.41 litres but I cant work out why we have any losses when we dont transfer to another vessel anyway?

There is mash tun space which is the amount of water sitting below the false bottom. I have this at 8 L. I would set the lauter setting to zero.

Hi guys, Im just trying to setup my beer smith profile and am not 100% sure on the settings for Recoverable mash deadspace and mash dead space losses. I copied the settings from this post here
GUTEN

He had mash tun addition at 3.41 litres and Lauter tun losses at 3.41 litres but I cant work out why we have any losses when we dont transfer to another vessel anyway?
Whatever grain to liquor ratio you are using, say for example 4 litres per kilo of grain and a 5 kg grain bill you will need 20 litres of water (which you are mashing into) plus the 3.41 litres which is below the mash tun, 23.41 litres of water.
I lose 5 litres per hour on the boil and between .8 and .9 litres per kilo loss to grain absorption.

Whatever grain to liquor ratio you are using, say for example 4 litres per kilo of grain and a 5 kg grain bill you will need 20 litres of water (which you are mashing into) plus the 3.41 litres which is below the mash tun, 23.41 litres of water.
I lose 5 litres per hour on the boil and between .8 and .9 litres per kilo loss to grain absorption.
5 litres per hour?? What power setting are you boiling at?

So is it "recoverable mash dead space" or "mash dead space losses" I need to put in 3.41 litres? Im using Beersmth 3 which is different to what Magical pancake has in his post which says "Mash tun addition" and "Lauter tun losses". and he has 3.41 Litres set in both fields.

5 litres per hour?? What power setting are you boiling at?

So is it "recoverable mash dead space" or "mash dead space losses" I need to put in 3.41 litres? Im using Beersmth 3 which is different to what Magical pancake has in his post which says "Mash tun addition" and "Lauter tun losses". and he has 3.41 Litres set in both fields.
Once you have everything worked out, don't go confusing yourself with dead space ( no it isn't a loss) the important factors are loss to grain absorption, loss to evaporation and loss to trub. I am a fairly new to the Guten but first of I made a measuring rod marking off increments of 2 litres. My loss is also 5 litres per hour on 2000 watts, I call my absorption loss 1 litre / kilo of grain but I could probably claw some of that back if I set the mash tun over a bowl to catch every drop.

My losses are 2.75 L/hr at 2200W. Are you guys at 5L/hr using the 60L guten?

Another important thing I've found is that the minimum water volume you can use is about 22L with a normal 5.5 kg ish mash to ensure there's enough water in the bottom of the kettle during mash to keep the circulation going and not run the pump dry.

I have mainly been doing around 5-5.5kg grain bills and I just fill to the 20 Litre mark (which is 22 litres) this while unscientific gives me a mash of between 2.7 and 3.2 ratio depending on grain weight, then I sparge to my boil level which is normally just above the 6 gallon mark (26 Litres) If I'm doing a 90 minute boil I go another 2 litres. I seem to get my numbers most times or very close to them.

My losses are 2.75 L/hr at 2200W. Are you guys at 5L/hr using the 60L guten?

Another important thing I've found is that the minimum water volume you can use is about 22L with a normal 5.5 kg ish mash to ensure there's enough water in the bottom of the kettle during mash to keep the circulation going and not run the pump dry.
That is a very low boil off rate, you should be around 4.75 to 5 litres mine is a 40 litre Guten.

That is a very low boil off rate, you should be around 4.75 to 5 litres mine is a 40 litre Guten.

No, it shouldn't be anything in particular. Just because you get that, doesn't mean that anyone else should. Different brewers will have different losses, even with the same brewing system.
Elevation, ambient temperature, humidity, covered/uncovered/partially covered, power setting, etc. will all affect boil off rates.

No one should be aiming for a certain boil off rate. Just do a run with water in your usual brewing environment and measure the boil off rate from that, and use it as a starting point.

I believe that it is recoverable mash dead space - dead space under the mash tun that is recovered. There are no lauter tun or mash losses in an all in one system, besides grain absorption.

When trying to work out what these are, you can usually hover over the entry box for them in BS and it will give you a description of it, that should help. As well as actually looking at the tutorials and info in the help manual, of course

No, it shouldn't be anything in particular. Just because you get that, doesn't mean that anyone else should. Different brewers will have different losses, even with the same brewing system.
Elevation, ambient temperature, humidity, covered/uncovered/partially covered, power setting, etc. will all affect boil off rates.

No one should be aiming for a certain boil off rate. Just do a run with water in your usual brewing environment and measure the boil off rate from that, and use it as a starting point.
I have 5 litre boil off, I would say anywhere between 4 to 5 litres would be the norm, the only thing that I have found which will reduce the boil off is the amount of scorching on the base, twice I have had to empty mine because the boil wasn't hardly registering. Mashing on a lower wattage seems to reduce that, there is a good article on BYO about boil off and what to expect and under 3 litres is low.

Back