GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just looks like wort dried on to the side of the malt pipe, cleans off easily.

Bollocks it does. Well, the tiny bit at the top, yes, but I would think that @lespaul is talking about the clearly visible vertical strip of discolouration. It looks a lot like heat discolouration that you see in SS pots when they are heated on the stove too much without anything in them.
Was there anything different about this brew for you @lespaul ? Higher or lower volume, certain water profile, pH, etc.?

I did use brewtan b for the first time. Other than that nope. It seems weird that it's not on the whole malt pipe but only on one strip?

Bollocks it does. Well, the tiny bit at the top, yes, but I would think that @lespaul is talking about the clearly visible vertical strip of discolouration. It looks a lot like heat discolouration that you see in SS pots when they are heated on the stove too much without anything in them.
Was there anything different about this brew for you @lespaul ? Higher or lower volume, certain water profile, pH, etc.?
I didn't even notice the scorch mark not something I would have been looking for, very odd.

I’ve been getting the same discolouration but on the bottom of the kettle. Did nothing unusual was standard brews, water additions and heating regime. Figured it was normal heat discolouration.

I’ve been getting the same discolouration but on the bottom of the kettle. Did nothing unusual was standard brews, water additions and heating regime. Figured it was normal heat discolouration.
Yes your right it is normal to get it on the bottom, I have found it to be worse if using a fair bit of flaked maize.

Had another brew day. Single infusion to simplify things, set power to 1000w for the mash and worked a treat, no scorching!!!
Did still end up with heaps of floaties in the boil so I genuinely have no idea. I replaced the bottom screen and there is still a bit of a gap so maybe its the malt pipe. Will have to sort it out for the next brew. Other than that worked a treat.
At the end of the brew day I did notice this on the side of the malt pipe. No idea what could have caused it, any ideas?View attachment 114637
Did you have the hop spider in?

Nah I didn't have the hop spider in the malt pipe. In the boil yes

How is heat discolouration normal? There shouldn't be enough heat around the malt pipe to do anything like that. I can't speak about consealed elements with wort, but have never had heat discolouration in my sparge urn or in any of my SS equipment in my 1V system. Sounds more like chemical reaction. Does it clean off with either a green plastic scourer or acid?

How is heat discolouration normal? There shouldn't be enough heat around the malt pipe to do anything like that. I can't speak about consealed elements with wort, but have never had heat discolouration in my sparge urn or in any of my SS equipment in my 1V system. Sounds more like chemical reaction. Does it clean off with either a green plastic scourer or acid?
Agreed, in 30+ batches in my 1V rig made from the cheapest 1mm pots I never got any scorching or discolouration... Up to my 5th brew in the Robobrew 65 and the malt pipe still looks brand new.

If that hasn't been resting on an element of some sort I've no idea how it would have turned that colour without some sort of chemical reaction. If I were lespaul I'd be taking it back to the place of purchase.

BTW the Robobrew 65 malt pipe is built like a brick outhouse too so it has none of the misalignment that seems to be happening with Guten malt pipes being mis-shapen and not aligning with bottom screens - looks like a manufacturing defect - again I'd be taking it back.

I've done 5 brews in my 40L Guten so far and there is certainly no scorching of the malt pipe, and shouldn't be at the temps we mash at. I agree with Wobbly, sounds more like a chemical reaction to me, did you clean with system with PWB or similar before you began brewing with it?

I've done 5 brews in my 40L Guten so far and there is certainly no scorching of the malt pipe, and shouldn't be at the temps we mash at. I agree with Wobbly, sounds more like a chemical reaction to me, did you clean with system with PWB or similar before you began brewing with it?

Agree totally. I have had some scorch marks on the base, but easily cleaned off. Never had any elsewhere or heat discoloration.
I soaked everything in PBW heated it to 60C and recirculated for a while before use. Then filled with water, heated and recirculated.

Done quite a few brews and all is still shiny.

1st brew for the new year, not done a SMASH for a while, so a SMASH it is. American pale ale Smoke Stack Lightning. 5.5KG Viking pale ale malt and Styrian Wolf hops (hence the name)
001.JPG

No sparge 21 litre batch, mash in to 32 litres of water.
002.JPG

Half way through the mash, no top screen, as you can see the grain is in suspension, no worrying about channeling.

The all thread through the lifting holes, the Brau Meister handle fits on the inside of the malt pipe. But there are lots of ways of cobbling something up to lift out the malt pipe, 23 litres of no sparge can be done this way, grain bill dependent. But the pump must be switched off simultaneously as turning off the choke, otherwise there will be suck back into the pump.

First time using my helix coil in my guten on the weekend. Brewed a Brut Ipa. This is the left overs of chilling my beer to 35 ( best I could get in Perth 40c weather).

The flow was quite steady. I only slightly cracked the tap at the start and then opened in gradually more till it was fully open. No problems with drainage. Wort was super clear but it was free from hops so I'm happy with it.
20190119_144021.jpeg

1st brew for the new year, not done a SMASH for a while, so a SMASH it is. American pale ale Smoke Stack Lightning. 5.5KG Viking pale ale malt and Styrian Wolf hops (hence the name)
View attachment 114721
No sparge 21 litre batch, mash in to 32 litres of water.
View attachment 114722
Half way through the mash, no top screen, as you can see the grain is in suspension, no worrying about channeling.

Why no top screen?

Why no top screen?
I have an idea that when the Chinese started making the SVB's maybe they had a look at the BM which has to have a top screen as the pressure pushes up against the top screen. If I didn't have the handle holes blocked off with the all thread I would possibly use the top screen but it does compact the grain bed. If the return pipe is proud of the liquor then some silicone hose will stop any fear of channeling, in this photo you can see where the grain bed comes up to because of the 'tide mark', more a less floating grain bed should theoretically, give a better conversion.
003.JPG

Back