GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I use the Guten bazooka filter fitted to the pump inlet as I was sure it was inadequate for it's proposed role, and now I'm using one of WEAL's helixes on the tap.
Do you cover the overflow tube of the malt pipe with the little plastic screw on thing when adding grain?
And do you adjust the recirc pump flow so it doesn't go down the overflow pipe.

Yes I use the white plastic cap to prevent grain going down the pipe

Do keg king sell the helix’s through their website? I’ve taken a couple looks but haven’t been able to find it.

I spoke to keg king not long ago and they said they will be stocking the lauter helix very soon

I messaged Weal who said Keg King, as have others on this same thread... I’m starting to think into only, or I’m searching for wrong names maybe?
weal sold at least a few dozen to people here, so maybe he's sold them all

I was in KK a couple of weeks ago and did see them in stock then.

If KK are starting to stock them then there is good chance they will filter down to LHBS who use them as a distro, no pun intended.

I was in KK a couple of weeks ago and did see them in stock then.
I also saw them there 2 weeks ago, I didnt buy any as I have never had a problem with blockage, but probably will buy them next time I go "just in case".
I'm probably going there tomorrow, so I will update this thread when I get back.

Guten 50L 2nd time review

I used the Guten for the 2nd time last Friday 5/10/18.
I created a Sierra Nevava Pale Ale clone, using a total of 11kg grain.
I ended up with 35 litres in the Guten (1.059) and 43 into the fermenter after water dilution and yeast starter, OG 1.048.

Some points:-
  • I placed the bazooka on top of the pipe (as per legless suggestion - thanks), this worked well
  • I bent the hop spider arm so that it sat more upright on the side of the Guten, it sat better but I wadnt paying atttention and at one point of time during the boil it overflowed again and I ended up with hops in the wort. I dont like the spider, so I bought a hop sock (from KK), its like a cylinder of mesh with both ends sealed, I'll use that next time.
  • I spilt a bit of water at one point in time, and a small puddle was on the floor. The window of the PCB had condensation in it!. When I turned off the pump I got a ZAP. It was not a 240V zap, more like touching an cattle electric fence, i.e. a 50hz pulse - not good though.
Will aim to do a full 15kg load of grain next brew day.

Hey guys, new to forum. Haven’t brewed for 13 years or more though gear is still in garage somewhere, electric boiler and cobbled together mash tun. I thought I might get some new gear now the world has cought up (wink)
Looking at a 50l Guten. My LHBS has Grainfather (nice) and Robobrew (cheap) where does the Guten sit as far as build quality ?
Next question, it looks like Promash has fallen by the wayside, from what I’m reading Beersmith is the preferred software now, would that be right ?

Looking at a 50l Guten. My LHBS has Grainfather (nice) and Robobrew (cheap) where does the Guten sit as far as build quality ?

The build quality is great. It's quite not as refined as the GF, but what I've seen throughout heaps of forums and facebook groups is that the Guten certainly leaves the RB absolutely dead in the water, in terms of build quality, quality control and reliability

Hey guys, new to forum. Haven’t brewed for 13 years or more though gear is still in garage somewhere, electric boiler and cobbled together mash tun. I thought I might get some new gear now the world has cought up (wink)
Next question, it looks like Promash has fallen by the wayside, from what I’m reading Beersmith is the preferred software now, would that be right ?

I’ve got a Robobrew v2 and a Guten 50L
The Guten is certainly more refined and nicer to use (for example it hasn’t cut me yet!)

Admittedly I'm tempted to grab a Guten to go alongside the Robo and do some comparison tests. The report of a small electric shock from the Guten warrants some feedback to KegKing however @krz

Admittedly I'm tempted to grab a Guten to sit unused alongside the unused Robo and not do some comparison tests. The report of a small electric shock from the Guten warrants some feedback to KegKing however @krz

FTFY

I'll come up in 6 months and grab one of them off you. hahahaha

I do believe Promash was bought by the current owners of this site who also own Brewers Friend, there was some discussion a while back. If you haven't put your name in the draw for a freebie Brewers Friend Premium, do it now. (don't ask for a comparison they both have their good and bad points)
As for the Guten/Grainfather/Robobrew I think if Choice did a review on all three the Guten would come out on top taking in to consideration price point, build and performance. Yes the Grainfather has the extra bits and pieces but considering the price is 4-5 times dearer that tips the balance.
As for the RoboG3 not a lot of reviews out there apart from bent screens and one forum member had his blow first time he turned it on. Maybe Keg King should put a photo of the mountain of returns of the RoboG2, a big headache for the new management, but a good choice to go with the Guten

If you're looking at the larger guten i'd definitely check out the 65 litre robo. It looks, from the pics, to be a pretty good system. There are quite a few differences between it and the 35 litre version. I'd like to have have a look at one in the flesh to see what the build quality is like.

If you're looking at the smaller units then guten is the choice, even over the GF (higher cost).

Latest posts

Back