GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks did you find it accurate or did you need to do your own calcs

Anyone got a BeerSmith profile for the guten 30/40 (everyone else calls it 30 KK calls it 40)

If you join the Guten Facebook group I’ve chucked up one in the file section there for the 40L unit off my calculations and measurements. Not guaranteeing it’s perfection but a solid foundation

The guten's pump pick up is a hole in the bottom, so as soon as you turn it on after you've added hops, it will clog up. The grainfather has a filter over the inlet but I think the pump pick up is off the bottom of the vessel and out the side.
So if you were to mod the Guten by adding some sort of filter over the pickup or if you use a hop spider or bags, can the pump be used to whirlpool? Will it work for boiling wort?

If you join the Guten Facebook group I’ve chucked up one in the file section there for the 40L unit off my calculations and measurements. Not guaranteeing it’s perfection but a solid foundation

Can’t seem to find the group,

What’s its name

Hey everyone, classic long time lurker first time poster here.

I'm looking at getting a 50L unit to streamline brew days. I have read through most of the thread and i was just wondering what people's experiences have been with brewing "smaller" batches on the 50? Are there any restrictions or minimum sizes that can be done? I usually aim for anywhere between 19-24L batches (post-boil).

I also considered the 40, but since i do a lot of higher gravity brews i figured the extra space in the 50 would save a lot of headaches on that end

Thanks

Anyone ever dropped the lid for your Guten? They shatter as if they have been shot! I learned this by experiencing this last Friday. I'm in the USA and have no way to replace it short of a $70 shipping fee. Anyone know if a Robobrew, or Grainfather lid might fit? I know the pump return hole will not work, but i'm thinking of buying a distillation lid and drilling the requisite hole for the pump return. Any thoughts will be much appreciated!

Here's the profile I'm going to use on my 2nd brew next week.
Notice I have 8L as the Mash Tun Addition.
The facebook Beersmith profile says 6.5L but I carefully measured water into the unit a few days ago with the malt pipe in and the false bottom and there was 8L of water added before the water level came just up to the false bottom. It seems like a lot but with the ball valve fitted it means the false bottom sits pretty high up on the unit. If you don't account for this dead space then there will not be enough water for the mash, or it will be very dry.
At the end of the boil/chill I just opened the ball valve and had the wort drop into my fermenter. What was left was the trub and this I measured as 2.5L.
My boil rate at 2100W was 4L/hour although this might change a bit per person.

upload_2018-9-18_19-51-26.png

Attachments

• upload_2018-9-18_19-51-8.png
    upload_2018-9-18_19-51-8.png
    121.2 KB · Views: 75
For the Guteneers, this is what I do, you don't have to do the same or agree just some ideas.
I made a video of the emptying if I can load it I shall.
Brewing a 23 litre batch of Best Bitter no sparge method.
002.JPG Helix coil in position
003.JPG 32 litres of liquor, the silicone tube is to prevent an exodus of grain through the handle holes, the bazooka is mounted on the top of the overflow pipe.
005.JPG End of mash. 006.JPG The bazooka with some silicone tube inserted on the inside, this means the liquor has to go over the top of the tube though I haven't found any difference in pre boil gravity using the overflow and not.
008.JPG Vigorous boil 009.JPG The hood cheap and easy to make after a visit to a Chinese cooking utensil shop help keeps the heat in.
011.JPG After emptying, took approximately 2.5 mins to empty.
012.JPG Well I reckon that just about nailed the 23 litres
Tried to insert the video would not go on, will have to work on it and add it later.

Attachments

• helix.zip
    1.3 KB · Views: 69
Just ordered a 50L Guten from Brewmart. Looking forward to doing a double batch to ferment in my 50L kegmenter.

Looks like I have a lot of learning to do on this unit, I have been using a DIY single vessel electric setup which will now be relegated to sparge water heater. Is it possible to hook up a line to use the internal pump for sparging or will I need to use my external pump?

What's the maximum grist you can fit in the 50L? hoping for ~13-14kg so I can do double batches of IPA.

Latest posts

Back