GUTEN

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just started the mash and went to turn the pump on. It just makes a whiring noise like its trying to get started. No recirc.

Edit : It did the same thing when I tested it with water. I dont think it likes temps above 60c. It would have been ok I think If I left it running.

I think I will have to but Ill try and salvage the beer if I can.

I have a feeling that once I put cold water in there again it will work fine.

Edit : recirc with a jug works fine but the mash set at 67 has stayed at about 65. Maybe because I have the power set to 1600w as well.

Sooooo......I managed to make a beer. First time on a system like this so not surprising I had a few issues but I wasn't expecting the pump to not work. Using the jug worked ok but I didnt seem to hit mash temps. Probably because of no pump, low power and no lid.

I had the boil at 2000w but I wasnt happy with the boil. So I stopped it with 45 to go and restarted it in manual at 2200w and 45min timer. It only ever got to 99c so the timer never started. Ill have to change the boil temp (there's a new manual if any one doesn't have it). After all the mucking about I came out a bit under volume, I havnt checked the OG yet. My double bazzoka did work well and I got a pretty good cone going until I tipped it over for a bit more in the cube.

I cleaned out the urn filled with water and brought the temp up with some perc for cleaning. The pump stopped working (ie didnt turn on again after I turned off) at 50c. I just tried it again at 45c and its still not working. Maybe its not to do with temp. When I get a chance I empty it out and have a look at the pump.

:(

Definitely not a temp problem nosco, in that link I downloaded for you magic pancake seemed to find his hose clamps weren't tight, could be sucking in air, check out the pump, clamps etc problem will be only minor. I did the same as you and checked out everything first with a dummy run but with all systems the user will have to get familiar with them. Once over that hurdle plain sailing.
What I have also done with mine is purchased a s/steel bowl to fit over the top so I can lower the wattage for the boil, last thing I want is a burnt out element. Will post pics when I have modified.

I filled it with cold water to flush out the perc and it worked again. Just opened it up now and it has cable ties on the hose. A bit shit but i have a bag of hose clamps so hopefully its an easy fix.

Maybe i an attempt to stop air getting in they thought it would be a good idea to silicone the pump hoses on

1496562275269.jpg

Mine stopped last time but I just thought it was because it blocked with hops, when I cleaned it I blasted the jet down the hole and it worked ok with clean water then, was fine during mashing no issue until I tried to use the pump to get the wort out once the bazooka blocked

So after 3 attempts to get the pump going by tightening the hose clamps I changed the hoses that come with it. They are very thin and it is really awkward trying to tighten the clamps with out them turning around the hose and putting a hole in them. I changes them over to regular silicone hose. Its twice the thickness. Now it doesnt work at all :lol: :angry: :( It just keeps making the whiring noise. Ill try again sometime.

Get in touch with Sandy, they usually quick to respond. Making me nervous. Is this 30 or 50L model

Its the 30lt. I sent her a message today and she replied back and said maybe it was blocked. I messaged since but she hasnt got back yet.

I sent Sandy a video of the pump not working. I just got a reply back and they will send me a new pump so I cant really fault the customer service. Hopefully it all works out.
I did notice that you can buy the same pump on the net for $80au delivered? Maybe not as powerful as the mark II.

malt junkie said:
Not to be too rude, but you picked this up for around $500? I could barely build similar for that sort of cost. Do you know if they are going to be locally stocked? Or otherwise how painful was organising shipping and costs?
Doubt it. Purely for the exercise, checked out the wholesale cost and worked out the 10 odd K for Australian electrical compliance and you'd basically be giving away the first 300 units plus they won't supply any warranty ex factory. usual costs of freight, GST, Customs clearance pay the man $ etc. plus another $43,000 in stock holdings would likely see the accountant either having a stroke or sitting in the corner rocking.

As they do already have European accreditation to get Au NZ accreditation would come in under the $10,000, around $7000 to $8000 and if the manufacturer were keen to get them into Australia I am sure they would come to the party in participation of payment. The question would be,would it be worth anyone's while to bring them in, homebrewing is a small market, more economical for the punters to cut out the middleman and his markup, cut out the GST and buy direct.Even with the surcharge of buying one unit and shipping one unit still works out a bargain. An importer would either have to be mad or both to compete against that. :)

Latest posts

Back