Guten Abend

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

adamh

Reaction score
Hi crew
I've been brewing for a year and am about to embark on BIAB once I can work out which burner to get. Have been reading through and no bloody clear answers from any of you :p

Best beer I've made so far was an extract based Pale Ale using Galaxy and Nelson Sauvin - ANZAC Pale Ale. Went in about 3 weeks.

I am in Melbourne and support the mighty Pies.

Prost, :kooi:
Adam

G'Day Adam

INitally drawn to your thread because of the title - I've just returned from six weeks in Germany.

I'm a BIABer myself, though electric. Good luck.

Reminds me, I should probably do one of these introductiony thingos, too

really depends on your pot size and personal preference. On my standard 50l setup (using keg-shaped vessels) I run 3 ring burners on a high-pressure reg which works great for single size batches and is ok for doubles (particularly if I get the burner going while finishing the sparge).

For my 110l kettle, I run a 32 jet mongolian burner with adjustable reg - the thing is a monster.

So really, it depends on your set up and pot size - plenty of people use 23 jet mongolians on a standard size set ups, rambo burners, etc etc. All have their advantages and drawbacks and often times (like most things in brewing) comes down to personal preference, finances and what you can readily get a hold of.

Brendo

brendo said:
really depends on your pot size and personal preference. On my standard 50l setup (using keg-shaped vessels) I run 3 ring burners on a high-pressure reg which works great for single size batches and is ok for doubles (particularly if I get the burner going while finishing the sparge).
Cheers Brendo. I've got a 40 L pot - that's big enough for me at the moment, and I'm almost at the point of going with a 3 ring burner thanks to some input from a user on another forum. Now I've got 2 +es for the 3 ring so it's just a matter of working out where to get it from the easiest.

the thing I like about the 3 burner is that you have a pretty good level of control over the heat by being able to reduce or turn off rings independently, great once you are at the boil and just want to keep things ticking over.

Other option is an over the side electric element. Plenty of power, easy to clean and don't have to worry about a full gas bottle.

Available from grain and grape or Ebay

Not the cheapest option, but easy to use and advocated by Thirsty boy, one of the BIAB pioneers.

JD

JDW81 said:
Other option is an over the side electric element. Plenty of power, easy to clean and don't have to worry about a full gas bottle.
Thanks JD. But I want to go gas cos SWMBO pays the electricity bill, whereas I refill my gas bottle :lol:

Back