Gushing Bottles Of Stout

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brizbrew

Reaction score
I made a stout at the end of may, a basic K+K type reciepe with an OG of 1052 and it got down to 1016 seven days later so I racked it to a cube and there it stayed for 3 weeks before I bottled it. It has been in the bottle now for around 2 weeks and I tried a few last night, both bottles frothed right up and over the top.
Will this settle with time or should I be worries about bottle bombs?
If I remember correctly I used 140grams of white sugar to prime 18 litres, does this sound ok?

That's over 7g/L, and may be the cause of the gushing if it's only mild.

Or, if it's an infection the gushers will get worse over time. Don some protective gear and put them in a safe place to check again in a week or a month, or stick them all in the fridge and drink ASAP

If it aint infected then the gushing will remain constant..

Only advice is to get them cold,(as you drink em ) crack them lightly so you just release the pressure and keep the cap on tight enough to let the pressure out without them frothing.The warmer the bottle, the more froth you will get when you open..

I have a few batches like this and if you get it right, you can realese the gas without losing to much beer

It sucks bad, but the beer is still good..

Ducatiboy stu said:
If it aint infected then the gushing will remain constant..

Only advice is to get them cold,(as you drink em ) crack them lightly so you just release the pressure and keep the cap on tight enough to let the pressure out without them frothing.The warmer the bottle, the more froth you will get when you open..

I have a few batches like this and if you get it right, you can realese the gas without losing to much beer

It sucks bad, but the beer is still good..
[post="66234"][/post]​
Thanks for that, I don't think they are infected, how would I tell?
They are bottled in Grolsch bottles so it is hard to release pressure slowly because of the seal, I will give it a blast though.
Cheers.

Back