Gunn Island Brew Pub, Middle Park

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Backlane Brewery

Reaction score
As detailed in some of my posts earlier this week, I'm at a bit of a loose end at the moment. No home, no woman, no brew gear :(

Was thinking of drowning my sorrows at the Gunn Island tonight, :chug: then read this on their website:
Indian pale ales were traditionally brewed strong, with generous additions of hops to survive long sea voyages from Britain to the colonies. Our version is rich & hoppy, using Kent Goldings hops giving it a floral aroma, tending to turn herbaceous, even weedy, as it warms. The palate is smooth and very mouth coating. The bitterness lingers long after the swallow, a reminder to the drinker of a bygone era.

Is it just me or is this a bit unappetizing? Has anyone ever tried this brew with the bitter weedy taste that coats your mouth? :blink:
And at $7.00 for a "large" (don't know if that's a schooner or a pint), maybe I should stick to the $16.00 jugs of Coopers pale ale from Fitzroy St. Cellars.

Website here for further reading.

Only went there once. Don't think I'd go back, 'specially with Bells just around the corner.

dickTed said:
Only went there once. Don't think I'd go back, 'specially with Bells just around the corner.
[post="52063"][/post]​
Yeh - can't say that any of their beers would get me back in a hurry either.

Bell's is better but you guys are being a bit harsh.

The IPA is quite good. The ESB (forgot what they call it) is also nice.

The lager is not too impressive but not a bad drop.

Hi Sean,
what are the beers like at your towns new Brewery?

tdh

Clean - no faults or anything, but rather commercial and boring in my opinion.

yeh the gunn island's beer is nothing special, although i go there a lot as it is my local.
anyone who's ever been there notice the serious echo problem? when it gets busy it sounds like squabling pigions in there.

I just read on the website that the brewrey is now gone as of Nov last year? :huh:

what's up with that?

I thought it was owned by matilda bay now & brewed a couple of local beers eg Barking Duck

Latest posts

Back