Gunk In Tubing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peas_and_corn

I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I cannot mash that
Reaction score
OK, I wake up, ready to keg my latest brew. However, in the tube I use to syphon the beer to the keg, it has gunk in it! I obviously didn't clean it properly last time I used it, and it grew in there.

I got rid of most of it, but there is still some left. How could I get rid of it?

Cheers

Dave

Buy some new tubing, shit it aint that much

Normell

david just go to the hardwareshop and buy a meter of new tube @ 3.00 / mtr food grade or if there is no hardware open around you clean it out with some coke will take about 15 mins .
savvy

so dont waist your coke just buy a new peice of tube.

delboy :D

The only thought I had about the hardware store is if they sold food grade hose... I managed to clean it out, but I think I'll go for buying some new stuff next time...

Yep, Napisan. Or a new one. Both good options.

If you really want to clean the inside, get a bit of string a bit longer than the tube, tie a nut, or something similar to one end and a bit of cleaning cloth to the other. Drop the nut through the tubing, then pull the cleaning cloth through.

Works for cleaning rifles, it is called a pull through.

pint of lager said:
If you really want to clean the inside, get a bit of string a bit longer than the tube, tie a nut, or something similar to one end and a bit of cleaning cloth to the other. Drop the nut through the tubing, then pull the cleaning cloth through.

[post="90205"][/post]​
Yep, had to do that with my gas line today - ******* went right through the regulator, I need to get some check-valves..

pint of lager said:

[post="90205"][/post]​

Go for the new one. You can buy a whole roll of the stuff for about $1./metre. The string and nut will "burn" or "damage" the plasticas it goes through. Leaves nasty places for bugs to hide.
Rifles ain't plastic!
cheers
Darren

Darren said:
pint of lager said:

[post="90205"][/post]​

Go for the new one. You can buy a whole roll of the stuff for about $1./metre. The string and nut will "burn" or "damage" the plasticas it goes through. Leaves nasty places for bugs to hide.
Rifles ain't plastic!
cheers
Darren
[post="90226"][/post]​

Dopping a nut attached to a piece of string through some tubing causes burns hey? Classic :D

pint of lager said:

[post="90205"][/post]​

I use a similar method for keg dip tubes. Bit of sponge tied to some string and a 1 inch nail tied on the other end. Just drop the nail through the tube and pull the string and sponge through. Pulls all the crud (if any) out. Then just drop the sponge back in the opposite direction.

Only problem with leaving it in Napisan is the tube goes opaque after a soaking. Makes it a little more difficult to see if anything's lurking in there.

As the others stipulate with racking hose. It's a bit of a false economy to keep it. I generally use it for racking once then keep it for pre boil activities like running water frm the HLT to the mash or running the mash to the kettle etc.

If you want to take the cheap route and keep the tube for longer than 1 use. When you've finished racking with it, force it over the hose barb on the tap and run a couple of litres of water though it at high pressure. Then hang it somewhere high and allow it to drain dry for a couple of days.

Hey, speaking of bulk buys. If anybody ever decides to source a good price for rolls of racking tube I'd be the first one holding up my money. ;)

Warren -

Darren said:
Rifles ain't plastic!
cheers
Darren
[post="90226"][/post]​

Thankfully Darren, otherwise you'd shoot yourself in the foot again. :lol:

I think if you use a smaller diameter nut you wouldn't have too much too worry about. As I said in the earlier post a 1 or 2 inch nail works OK too.

That said I agree with you. Easier just to turf the stuff and re-employ it pre-boil in the brewery.

Warren -

warrenlw63 said:
Hey, speaking of bulk buys. If anybody ever decides to source a good price for rolls of racking tube I'd be the first one holding up my money. ;)

Warren -
[post="90256"][/post]​

I'd be in for a bullk buy like that!

peas_and_korn said:
warrenlw63 said:

Warren -
[post="90256"][/post]​

I'd be in for a bullk buy like that!
[post="90566"][/post]​

Warren, Just go to Bunnings and price a roll. It is actually quite cheap for a whole roll.
cheers
Darren

Bunnings? Huh! :huh:

I'll certainly try them. However, are they going to give me a discount for the whole roll or charge me the standard (roughly $2.20 per metre) for the roll?

I'm being a little cynical here. ;)

Warren -

Ive not found Bunnings too keen to discount, unless you can show them someone elses price; which they will then further discount for you.
So Darren, if you can kindly provide the details of who is selling for $1.00 a metre, we should all be able to get from Bunnings for even less :)

C'mon Ross, stop tossing out the Darren burley. :lol:

Simple answer to all this... If you get gunk in your tubing I'm sure a nice shot of penicillin would cure a multitude of sins. :p

Warren -

I keep this hose in stock at work.

What size do you guys use?

Back