Help Support Aussie Homebrewer by donating:

1. We have implemented the ability to gift someone a Supporting Membership now! When you access the Upgrade page there is now a 'Gift' button. Once you click that you can enter a username to gift an account Upgrade to. Great way to help support this forum plus give some kudos to anyone who has helped you.
    Dismiss Notice

Gulden Draak in a GF

Discussion in 'All Grain Brewing' started by aamcle, 13/12/19.

1. aamcle

Posted 13/12/19
    I've been looking for a way to brew the beer but the grain bill would force low efficiency in my GF.

But I have a cunning plan :-

Calculations.

The recipe is for 5 US Gal and has an OG of 1.096 this includes 3lb of Candy Syrup.

The contribution of the syrup in 5gal is 1.019 (Brewers Friend calculator) therefore the grain contributed (at 75% mash efficiency) 1.096-1.019 = 1.077 units.

Boil off over 90mins should be 0.6 US Gal therefore the preboil gravity should be 1.068 (5/5.6*77).

Procedure.

Mash but lift the malt pipe without sparging, add water to bring the Gravity to 1.068, recalculate the hop additions to match the volume of wort actually achieved. This will be less than 5 US Gallons.

Brew as normal.

Does this sound reasonable?

Thanks All.

aamcle

2. MHB

Posted 13/12/19
    Can you put up your recipe, unfortunately there are lots of very dodgy ones out there.
    Gulden Draak only has three malts, just under 30IBU's and they use a wine yeast to finish it off (I have had a fair amount of success with EC1118).
    To help work out how much you can make on your Grain Father (I don't know them well). How much malt can you put in them, what sort of efficiency do you really get, I'd be horrified if my mash efficiency 75%, pretty pissed off if my overall efficiency was that low, but for any brewing calculation what you are really getting is most important.
    You will have a lot more luck manipulating your information if you work in metric!
    Mark

eastgummy likes this.
  3. aamcle

Posted 14/12/19
    The grain bill is about 7.5 Kg the GF will take that amount but the efficiency is probably going to be in the 60's and I need 75%.

I'm told that Candi Syrup Inc recipes are reliable, my only real concern is the efficiency, GF's are best at 4 - 5 % ABV .

I believe it's the ratio of sparge to mash water (it's the same ratio for a small or large batch) leaves too little sparge water to thoroughly wash out the grain.

I don't want to sparge with extra volume and boil longer, I'm happy to reduce the batch volume a little after all Draak I is a 10% beer.

Atb. Aamcle

Attached Files:

Draft saved Draft deleted