Guinness!

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flanbos

Reaction score
one of lifes little plesures........im only recent to this beautifull thing and im in love, i think brewing has givin me a taste of quality beer and a tast for somthing more than beer flaved water.......ie coldies or extra dry or premium dry...or anything with dry slapped on the end really.

:p i went from drinking new to squires to old to guiness in about a month

ANYYYYYYYYYYYYYWay. what would be a good brew for me to make so i can enjoy somthing in the same style, not neccecaily a copy but somthing nice and dark and creamy,

only thing is im still a kit + extras brewer so any recipes cant be to fancy plz

cheers guys

flanbos

I recommend something like a coopers stout kit, supplemented with some crystal and chocolate malts, and maybe some black malt if you like roasty bitterness.

Next step up if you want real creaminess is to do an oatmeal stout. This requires a mini mash of oats and a base malt.

Try one of the ESB "paint cans", the stout mixed with morgans black malt extract, comes out quite well,
maybe even throw a few goldings pellets in as well for good measure.

Yeah,the ESB 3kg cans are nice.The stout is a beauty with some extra grains(steeped) and a liquid yeast.Makes 18 litres only but its got body aplenty.
I don't do many kits these days but the esb range is worth a look,currently drinking the wheat beer from this range@ 5 weeks in bottle and its pretty good for a kit.

Flanbos,

There was a Guinness recipe in the most recent BYO magazine that had an extract version. I haven't got it to hand right now but I'll try and remember to look it up for you tomorrow and post it here. Might give you a starting point.

Good luck,

Shawn.

flan bro,

Just because I appreciate Guinness, doesn't mean I have to love it too, does it? And U can see by my name that I am a wheat beer fancier.
Should we love all homebrew? or cease striving for the perfect beer? or helping your friends to acheive their own ideal beer, or range of beers? :lol:

Soapbox away now! :rolleyes:

I'd do a double Coopers stout kitz-beer. Steep 200g of Roast Barley, and add no more than 10g of your fave aroma hops as you top up to 23l. You'll be a happy man. Even happier when you get kegs with nitro-gas. Try again at 18 litres total vol.

Seth out :chug:

I blame Bill Gates for the duplicated post that once apeared here. :(
Deleted for the sake of courtesy.

Double Stout kit... geez.. that would pretty ummm black... DOes it turn out likethe coopers extra stout??
I love Guiness I used to have a liquid lunch when I was working in Wollongong. We would go up to the local Irish pub and 3 pints in an hour then go back to work.. ohh those were the days

It's like the extra stout, with a leaning toward Sheaf Stout. You can customise it with any hop U like, and they all suit it. From Goldings to POR to American hops. Never tried it with Saaz. Hmmmm, maybe I need to try it soon.

Seth

Flanbos,

This version in BYO magazine is an all grain recipe with an extract 'n grain option. The extract 'n grain recipe is:

Dry Irish Stout
19 litres
OG 1.040
FG 1.008
ABV 4.1%

2.7kg Light LME
340 gms Roast Barley
57 gms Chocolate Malt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda added to grains when mashing/steeping
1 tsp Irish Moss
33gms Perle Hops (8%aa)
Wyeast 1084 or White Labs WLP004 yeast.

I've never made this recipe and so can't vouch for it, but remembered it was in the magazine and thought you might be interested. It would be easy to scale up for greater quantity and/or body if you wanted. The Guinness they served in Ireland for the 12 months I was over there was indeed around 4% ABV however so don't let the low alcohol put you off.

If you've never steeped grains before it is as easy as making tea. You can do it overnight in cold water or give it 30 minutes in water around 60-70 degrees - there are heaps of different methods. Just don't steep too hot for too long www.howtobrew.com will help. You could probably drop the Irish Moss if you wanted and/or the baking soda - depends how keen you are. Sorry it isn't kit based, but thought you might be interested.

I'd also reccommend the ESB 3kg kits the others have suggested if you want something simpler. It's a much 'gutsier' stout than this would be but that aint no bad thing :)

Good luck,

Shawn.

Whats the point of the irish moss in a stout? It's not like you could see through it anyways if everything dropped out of suspension.

I always thought the point was not just clarity, but the fact it aids in stabilising the beer.

Whats the point of the irish moss in a stout? It's not like you could see through it anyways if everything dropped out of suspension.

So it looks like black glass, not brown milk, basically.

Gough said:
Flanbos,

This version in BYO magazine is an all grain recipe with an extract 'n grain option. The extract 'n grain recipe is:

Dry Irish Stout
19 litres
OG 1.040
FG 1.008
ABV 4.1%

2.7kg Light LME
340 gms Roast Barley
57 gms Chocolate Malt
1/2 tsp Baking Soda added to grains when mashing/steeping
1 tsp Irish Moss
33gms Perle Hops (8%aa)
Wyeast 1084 or White Labs WLP004 yeast.

[snip]
I've been working on a few Guinness clones too and if you're gonna use that recipe, I have some suggestions for your to consider. These are just suggestions, and I'm sure many will have comments one way or the other on them but since my first stout nearly 10 years ago, I've had a fair bit of practice ;) :lol:

First, drop the Irish Moss - It does bugger all for a stout IMHO - sure it may help flocc out a wort in the last quarter of a boil, but why bother with a stout?

Second, Irish Stout and Perle is like a Bohemian Pilsner with Cascade! Irish Stouts use Goldings, Challenger, Target or if you have to, Fuggles. Target is a hop primarily used for bittering but you can get away with any of these hops for bittering a wort boil - so, swap the 33g of 8% A/A Perle with, say, Goldings Hops to achieve the same bitterness in the boil - eg, around 60g of 4% A/A Goldings will do the trick. Did you notice the hop aroma when you smelled the Guinness? That's right, there wasn't any ;) . So leave the hops in for a full 60min boil and don't bother with any late boil additions of hops for aroma - unless you prefer to have a hop aroma with your stout :) .

Third, if you can find some, I'd add 150g of flaked barley to the grain bill to add a grainy flavour to the beer and improve head retention.

And fourthly, I would swap the Sodium Bicarbonate (Baking Soda) for Calcium Sulphate (Gypsum) to get that hard/iron water characteristic in the pre-boil wort water. It's not essential to do this but IMHO Baking Soda is not all that useful since the dark grains will counteract the alkalinity imparted by the Carbonates. Just don't overdo the Gypsum additions as the Calcium is good for hop bittering efficiency in the boil, generating the hot and cold break and yeast nutrition, but excessive Sulphates create a very harsh, sharp flavour in the beer that isn't very pleasant. Since you're using LME in this recipe, the benefits from water conditioning are somewhat limited, because the malt extraction has already occurred, but it may be worth using that 1/2 tsp of Gypsum to keep the brew closer to the original style...

Guinness is said to possess an acidic "twang" as our american friends quaintly put it - based on using a beer with a lactic infection in the boil, or, by making a sour mash, or using acidified malt. You can be the judge of whether you want that "twang" or not, and I would say that unless you add some lactic infected beer in the pre-boil wort, you won't get it without going partial mash or all grain on this beer. It's not essential that you do this, but should you want to get into Stouts in a big way, it's worth looking into this down the track...

There are plenty of good recipes on this website for Stout and Snow's Guinness Clone here on AHB is still a very good recipe ;) . If you want to read up on Stouts, here's a good starting point:
http://www.brewingtechniques.com/library/s...s/1_4style.html

Cheers,
TL

Good post there TL. Ill heed that before I make my first stout soon.

Excellent post but I think 600g flaked barley rather than 140g. 600g flaked barley + 1.2kg pale is a part mash anyone should be able to do.

Jovial Monk

TroughLolly, always add a5t least an equal amount of enzyme rich malt (pale or Pils) when using flaked grains, otherwise the brew will contain unconverted starch and be mighty unstable.

And as per Jo Vial, 140g is not worth the trouble, up it to at least 500g.

tdh

...how much oats?
If ur gonna do a mini-mash, ya gotta add oats for a stout, or some smoked malt if ur feeling adventurous.
I gotta ask why the magazine recipe doesn't include some peat or birch-smoked malt, to be true to the early daze of Guinness when the malt was kilned over a low fire of local fuel wood or dried peat.

Seth

Weizguy said:
...how much oats?
If ur gonna do a mini-mash, ya gotta add oats for a stout, or some smoked malt if ur feeling adventurous.
Weizguy,
Big Oatmeal stout thread here if you are interested in that style.

cheers

johnno

Try this out. It's best to loosen the fermenter lid overnight.

One 1.7 kg can Morgans Dockside Stout
1.5 kg Muntons dark dried malt
325 g Molasses
50 g Roasted chocolate grain
50 g Roasted burnt black barley
25 g Dark brown sugar
40 g Super Alpha hop pellets
Morgans Ale yeast (6 g)

Back