Gryphon Grain Bag? Cant Find Them....

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bignath

"Grains don't grow up to be chips, son"
Reaction score
Brewers,

i have looked over gryphon brewing's website and can't seem to find the biab bags everyone raves about....

Feeling like a right dumbass now. Can anyone point me in the right direction.

Im a 3v brewer just getting into single vessel brewing. I used a sheet of voile last weekend, and want to get one of those bags.

Have looked at the Craftbrewer ones, and they look the goods to, just wanted to have a look at the gryphon ones...

Cheers,

Nathan

it seems nevs mum must of stopped making them :p Obviously he forgot about BIAB and now turned his attention to HERMS, Shoot Nev a PM he will tell you what the go is! I have not seem them on there (from memory) since he started back up again.

I contacted Nev when I'd sold all my bags then changed my mind and went back to BIAB which is the best way to brew :) and he informed me that as a certain retailer had cut the market out from under him (IHHO) he had gone out of them.
As I use a skyhook and noose so can control the process very well, I find a big circle of voile is the go and far easier to clean out.

Dead easy to do if you can, or get someone to, hem round the edge. No weak seams, hangs like a teardrop and simple to empty, flap flap and straight into a bucket of perc.

ten bucks from Spotlight.

sheet1Large.jpg

sheet3Large.jpg

hoistbagLarge.jpg

Righto, cheers lads.

If i decide to stick with my bigass piece of sheet (trademark), how do i hook it up to a pulley?

Have spent some time tonight getting the pulley system up and running, which is all good. The only reason i was gonna go with a pre made bag, was if it had lifting handles, eyelets, loops whatever.

Im a complete 'tard when it comes to knots...

Nath

it seems nevs mum must of stopped making them :p Obviously he forgot about BIAB and now turned his attention to HERMS, Shoot Nev a PM he will tell you what the go is! I have not seem them on there (from memory) since he started back up again.
Yes mumsie has retired from gryphon slavery. :p
Cant find good slaves anymore.
Nev

hehe she prob liked it nev :p

its not hard if you loop the rope around the bag and then the tail (long part not attached to anything) will be underneath take that around the bag once take it over the top rope (will be attached to the pully) then bunch the bag like bribie post and pull it really tight it will tighten on the bag and then you can run the rope around the bag a few times (prob 3-4 to be safe) bring it back to the rope the pully is attached to go around it once then again but make it lose this time as the rope will thread back threw the loop. So you are doing a half hitch on to the other rope it will be easier (not always heaps easy) to get undone

Sorry kelby, i did say im a massive tool when it comes to knots...i don't know what a half hitch is, and i can't quite picture what this would look like.

I am pretty good at following diagrams though, could someone knock up a quick "paint" sketch up of how to tie the bag to the pulley rope?

I'm one of those guys that usually needs it right in front of me for my drummers brain to catch on.

I've got a little baggy widget:

Take a length of awning cord from the hardware and do a hangman's noose each end.
hangman_1.jpg
hangman_2.jpg

then pull one of them really tight onto a ss hook that you get as a card of 4

The other end can be used to throttle the "bag" which you pull through a bit at a time through the "hole" then choke it off when it's all nicely equal.

sorry about pic, didn't turn flash on

hangman3Medium.jpg

Then you can put the hook through the corresponding hook or loop or whatever is on your bottom pulley.

Hangmans nooses are the only knot I can do B)

I've had this widget for months, it will last forever but now and again I need to tie the bottom one, looking a bit sad ATM

Someone on here a while back said, "I just take a cigarette lighter and run the flame down the cut edges of the voile to sort out the edge" and although I can't remember who said this, they are a legend.

No need for any sewing, just cut out, and seal the edges.

Line the pot, then collect the sides and tie it in a knot and hang it like a stuck pig to bleed out.

Sorted.

Good constructive Idea Nick as opposed to some who only want to troll - I'm going to do a backup circle of voile in case a snowdropper steals mine off the line for use in occult ceremonies, and will try the flame trick, a BBQ gas wand would probably be better. :)

Edit, Nick while I've got you, suggestion you've mad a couple of times, I've got a few rels coming for lunch tomorrow and I've decided to do Chinese Glazed chooks - got 2 which I'll pressure cook first then finish in the oven with a slow roast with a glaze of maltose and spices - will let you know how I get on :icon_drool2:

I've got a little baggy widget:

Take a length of awning cord from the hardware and do a hangman's noose each end.
View attachment 53935
View attachment 53936

then pull one of them really tight onto a ss hook that you get as a card of 4

The other end can be used to throttle the "bag" which you pull through a bit at a time through the "hole" then choke it off when it's all nicely equal.

sorry about pic, didn't turn flash on

hangman3Medium.jpg

Then you can put the hook through the corresponding hook or loop or whatever is on your bottom pulley.

Hangmans nooses are the only knot I can do B)

I've had this widget for months, it will last forever but now and again I need to tie the bottom one, looking a bit sad ATM

Bloody legend Bribie, cheers mate. One little baggy widget constructed, hanging on my pulley ready for brewday.

I use a klemheist knot, which is like a prusik knot that someone suggested on here ages ago. Just have to make a separate loop of rope to go around the bag, and then attach a line from your pulley through it.

My family might get the wrong idea if I start hanging nooses in the garage :X

I contacted Nev when I'd sold all my bags then changed my mind and went back to BIAB which is the best way to brew :) and he informed me that as a certain retailer had cut the market out from under him (IHHO) he had gone out of them.
As I use a skyhook and noose so can control the process very well, I find a big circle of voile is the go and far easier to clean out.

Dead easy to do if you can, or get someone to, hem round the edge. No weak seams, hangs like a teardrop and simple to empty, flap flap and straight into a bucket of perc.

ten bucks from Spotlight.

<<snip>>
sheet3Large.jpg

<<snip>>

Thats how I built my original brew bag, except I put elastic in the hem. Never missed a beat over the years of BIAB, and no seams through the middle of it to break.

bum would probably flame it for you as well, free of charge

B)

Nick,

You could do the same using a soldering iron as a hot knife.

Wally

this is what i did initially, neater than a flame which i have used when making smaller hop bags and the like, but yeah both will do the job to keep you out of the fray.

Edit, Nick while I've got you, suggestion you've mad a couple of times, I've got a few rels coming for lunch tomorrow and I've decided to do Chinese Glazed chooks - got 2 which I'll pressure cook first then finish in the oven with a slow roast with a glaze of maltose and spices - will let you know how I get on :icon_drool2:

Yum!

Secret to the crispy skin is to fan-dry the bird for a few hours before adding the syrup.

Yum!

Secret to the crispy skin is to fan-dry the bird for a few hours before adding the syrup.

:icon_offtopic: Yup it turned out ok but a bit too moist - I work in Chinatown in Brisbane and now and again as I'm going up a certain walkway the door is open and you can see something that looks like an old fashioned conical hop oast house with a big door open and racks of ducks hanging there going through their various stages.

Back