Grumpys Vs The Council

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big d

Hopaholic
Reaction score
hi all brewers
just heard that grumpys is facing a battle soon.apparently the hills council has knocked back there submission to extend the cafe and has even declared there brewing operation illegal.
any adelaidians able to enlighten us about this.

cheers
big d

I am a council Development Officer in another council area and would be interested to find out more.
Also just because council says its an illegal operation does not mean they will do anything about it.

I don't get the Hills Courier so I haven't had the chance to read up on it today. Noodles to say, 'tis worrying.

I've just been reading a thread on Grumpy's forum about this (title = Cafe Expansion). From what I can gather is the proposed expansion from a "cafe" to a "restuarant" has been knocked back because the extension would encroach on possible flood areas from a nearby river.
No mention in the council's minutes about being "illegal".
There is a link to these minutes in the thread.

Cheers

oops - seems my posting speed is not up to scratch. Got blasted off the mark!! :D

It'd be great if Grumpy's moved their operation down to the city. Hahndorf is too far to go for a nice pint, especially when you have to worry about people driving home.

Grumpys is fine where it is (15mins away from me) and it's location certainly adds to its atmosphere and charm. Besides with the amount of idiots, tools and thugs who can't hold their booze in the city these days... <ramble over>

SteveSA said:
Besides with the amount of idiots, tools and thugs who can't hold their booze in the city these days
Yeah, but Grumpy's could be a great haven away from those sorta kooks. I don't think those types would generally be interested in a fine microbrew. I do live in the city though, so I may be a bit biased about having some Grumps on tap down here ;-)

Off to Grumpys myself tonight - from the city, by bus!

Will make sure to let Andrew and Thoms know that AHB is rooting for them.

We'll get you a box to stand on Wee Stu, :lol: :D
Have a good Xmas Stu and a safe and happy New year.
Cheers

tdh frequents this site....
whats the go thomas.
maybe andrew should build the restaurant/extension on stilts then he will be above the flood region. ;) and you get to look down at the creek and yiros munchin on the spent grains.

cheers
big d

just checked the grumpys site and judging from the lack of offical grumpy answer i guess we wont see one here either. <_<

cheers
big d

silence of the lambs :lol:

Just got the paper ourselves and the boss is at a meeting. Much text in the paper is out of context, ain't much else to report.

tdh

Well I know personally from mountain biking and the 'kerfuffle & brew-ha-ha' (yes, those are the technical terms) in Randell's Reserve that the stuff reported in the Adelaide Messenger local papers can be kinda close, yet somewhat far from the truth.

thanks for the reply thomas.hope all goes well in andrews ventures as the grumpys site is well worth a visit for hospitality,great beers and great pizzas.
all the best in 05 guys

cheers
big d

As it happens when I am not brewing I am a hydrogeologist, and if Grumpys need a report saying that the flood level is somewhere else, then a reciprocal agreement might see one written using quite big words on very offical looking letterhead. A years supply of malt plus use of the goat for "big shit" mashing?

Back