Grumpys One Shot

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Batz

Batz Brewery...Hand crafted beers from the 'Batcav
Reaction score
Someone who has a bottle of this , please read what type of acid is in it , it's written on the bottle

I am having a bit of a disagreement up here

Nobody guessing please , I did have a bottle but have finished it and chucked away the empty

The description on their website says

" Liquid Ortho-Phosphoric acid Sanitiser. ."

What the f*%$@ is that ? it don't sound good!!

It's phosphoric acid. Same stuff they used to put in Coke. It's been shown to eat out your gut, but only in quantities much larger than you will get from washing with one-shot. H3PO4 from memory. It's also used in some soaps.

Any idea of the concentration of this that you would use for sanitation? I have a bottle at home I got from a WCB meet to adjust the mash water pH so it is relatively strong (can't remember the %). After stuffing about measuring the pH it looked to be about right anyway so I may use this to sanitise instead?

Well I am getting told phosphoric acid is not a sanitiser ?

Told it is a cleaner , removers calcium etc

I note the one posted for the dairy industury "Eliminate" is phosphoric acid plus a sanitiser

Don't know who to listen too anymore :eek:

Thats the same stuff the monk calls Terminator aint it?????

Linz to monk......come in monk!!!

Tell us Tom?

Then maybe it's a monks secret :blink:

The phosphoric acid will drop the pH to about 2.5 and at this level the aditional ingredient in the "juice" then does its work. With out walking out to my shed to look at the label on the drum I have [different name same stuff] it is ... ALKYLARLY SULPHONIC ACID. In the interests of brewing correctness I braved the cold .. :)

These types of products are used exstensively in the dairy industry.

Depending on the concentration they can be either a cleaner or a sanitiser.

Batz said:

I note the one posted for the dairy industury "Eliminate" is phosphoric acid plus a sanitiser

I found this

Acid-anionic Surfactant Sanitizers Like the quaternary ammonia
compounds, acid anionic sanitizers are also surfactants. They are combinations
of acids and a surface active agent. The most common acid employed in these
compounds is phosphoric acid. Sanitization is effected by a combination of the
acidity of the medium and the activity of the surface active compound. Bacterial
destruction is caused by shutting down of the cell membranes. Acid-anionic
sanitizers have broad spectrum activity, are relatively non-toxic and noncorrosive
to stainless steel, but they are slower acting than chlorine. They have
the added advantage in that they are effective in removing hard water films or
scale. For this reason, some operations will, on occasion, use an acid-ionic
sanitizer.
ACID ANIONIC SURFACTANT SANITIZERS
Advantages Disadvantages
Broad spectrum pH sensitive
Organic tolerant Some foam in CIP
No residue Variable phage kill
Stable solutions Contains phosphate
Non-corrosive Slower than Cl2 & I2
Okay with hard water Corrosive to soft metals
Wide temp range
CIP & manual use

"Slower acting than chlorine"

One question to which I have never seen a satisfactory answer: How long does the one shot have to be in contact with a surface in order to sanitise it?

OK, the Terminater I sell is sold to me in 20L drum

Simply says Phosphoric acid 653g/L phosphoric acid. It also cntains strong detergents. Undiluted it says 2ml/L in water no hotter than 70C for a one time use or 4ml/L for repeated use.

I dilute it 50:50 with water so use 4 and 8ml/L

it is 65c cheaper than OneShot :)

Jovial Monk

Batz said:

Batz

According to the pic and DASCO website "eliminate" is a cold water sanitiser/cleaner and is just Phos Acid. This would suggest Phos acid is an effective sanitiser by itself but they also have "iophos" which is Phos acid and iodine, which would suggest that phos acid is not enough by itself??? :blink:

Hoops

Phosphoric acid is most definitely a sanitiser. At stonger concentrations is can dissolve beers stones.

I use it at around 1-2% concentration and add a few drops of LABS acid to make it foam (much better wetting of hard surfaces).

It is no rinse at that concentration and in fact is a yeast nutrient. If you want some links then check out:

brewiki: cleaning and sanitation

I bought a 20 litre drum of the stuff. Anyone willing to drive to Vermont can have a litre for $10. This is 81% (much higher and it turns solid).

Oh yes and I keep some in a spray bottle.

Guys,
I have a problem with a lady up here who sells cleaning sanatizing chemicals , they have a company.
Now they have phosphoric acid , but she insists it is NOT a sanatizer , I have had this out with her and it's got fairly heated , she even rang the Perth based chemical supplier who also stated it is not a sanitizer.

Now from what I know this stuff is , but I can not find phosphoric acid on the web " as a " by itself as a sanitizer "

I think "Eliminate" has something else in there too

Give me some evidence , I want to show this bit#ch

Batz

JM
Thankyou for your reply , much appreciated

Back