Grumpys Kilkenny Clone?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

morry

Reaction score
Guys,

Just wondering if any of you have ever tried grumpys kilkenny clone? I have been brewing kit recipes up till now and I wouldnt mind giving a extract brew a go. Heres the link if any of you want to comment about it:

http://www.grumpys.com.au/r1.php3?recipeid=11

Cheers,
Sean

I've tried it , and was quite nice , from a kit to that you will be amazed
Go for it !

Batz

I made this last year and it was great. I followed the recipe to the letter and used the Wyeast Irish Ale Yeast. It got a silver medal in last years Qld champs. The judges said it just had a bit of a "hole" in the middle, so maybe needs a hop addition at flameout.

- Snow

to turn this one into an all grainer would it be any more difficult than changing the liquid malt for a pale base malt?

G'day SJW,
I've buggered around with this one a bit - to convert to all grain, I swapped the DME, LME and Crystal Malt with Pale Ale malt and some Munich...Why, 'cause that's what I had!
Doing a 90 min full wort boil doesn't hurt either...
Drop the crystal malt and consider using some Amber Malt (I use around 300g of Bairds Amber malt) and you're getting close to the mark. Next time I might swap out some base malt and toss in some Melanoidin and Carawheat, or, lash out and do a decoction!
Irish Ale yeast and around 20 IBU of Goldings, IMHO, are a must.

Cheers,
TL

Well, after your replies, looks like Im going to give it a go. Put a lager on today thats now in my fridge, so I might get this one and keep it outside, seeing that the lager will take a while before I can bottle it.

I've thought about doing the same recipe for a while myself, but I was sceptical weather it would be as creamy as the original.
Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Yeah Id be keen to know this too, it says on the site to make to 24 litres or something, I wouldve thought for something like kilkenny, a smaller volume would be required.

The "creaminess" comes from the dispense method.
You will need to use a "pocket beer engine" to get that effect.

Excuse my ignorance, but what on earth is a pocket beer engine?

It's a small syringe. Simply draw a few mL's of beer up into the syringe and carefully squirt it back into the beer.
It simulates the effect of the pump in a British beer engine. Nice smooth head and knocks most of the CO2 out of solution.

a pocket beer engine won't make it creamy. It's nitrogen that does that. The beer engine will just give it a tighter head and lower the carbonation.

- Snow

And if you don't treat that engine with respect and their is a bit too much CO2 in your beer-guess what happens :p

Done that on more than one occasion.

Cheers, Justin

250g dry wheat malt extract. Puts a long lasting head on any beer

Jovial Monk

Just a quick question. Its going to cost me $15 to get it posted out to me. Just wondering if anyone who has tried the clone can tell me what sort of malts they give you? (light, amber etc) Also the amount of hops. Or do they give you the malts as a blend, so you dont know how much is in there?
I was just thinking, if I could make it by going down to the local HBS instead of getting it posted from adelaide, it should work out a bit cheaper.

Morry why are you getting it posted to you? You should be able to get all those ingredients at your local HBS.

- Snow

I wouldn't mind a go at this myself - but looks like Grumpeys recipe is dark crystal which I don't have - would 50 or 100gm of chocolate be out of place ?

Snow, just wondering what sort of malt extract is used? Is it light or amber? And how much hops are we talking here? Is EBC crystal grains any different to normal crystal grain?
Thanks

You can always toast lighter crystal to get darker crystal. Toast at 90C for half an hour to dry the malt, then say 90 mins at 110C, turn every 15 mins

Also, steep not boil the crystal, IMHO

Jovial Monk

Latest posts

Back