Grumpy's Brewhause burning

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No just no!!! This is terrible. Hope no ones hurt. Thoughts go out to Andrew and family.

I had some great times there, what a shame and a beautiful old building as well.

Very sad.

Apparently it's a complete write off, only the restaurant as far as I can tell. The brewery was separate. I drive past this each day on my way to and from work so I'll get a look tonight.

Ahh shit,that's not good,I hope no one was hurt.

Was due to be signed over to a new owner tonight.

That's an absolute shame. Managed to get there a month ago whilst down that neck of the woods. Great beer and sensational pizza. It was the only time my wife ever ate and enjoyed a pizza that wasn't loaded with pineapple.

Grumpy's Facebook page has updated to say that the restaurant has been extensively damaged but the brewery is ok. All staff got out unscathed thanks to a working smoke alarm.

The wood fired pizza oven is apparently left going 24/7 so each day firing it back up isn't too hard but this time sparks went up into the roof space and caught fire.

Edit - didn't actually look that bad when i drove past last night. External damage looks minimal apart from the roof.

I wonder what the go is now with the new owner? Whether its still his to rebuild or up to Andrew to sort things out? If it gets up and running one things for sure, one way or another it wont be the same Grumpys we once knew. If it gets rebuilt i for one look forward to returning.

I guess it's an insurance claim, I hope all that was up to date considering a sale was so close.

I still have my first mash paddle bought from Grumpys many years ago, no longer used but still hanging in the shed.

Batz said:
I guess it's an insurance claim, I hope all that was up to date considering a sale was so close.

I still have my first mash paddle bought from Grumpys many years ago, no longer used but still hanging in the shed.
Just a couple of stubby holders and a t shirt for me but a lot of fond memorys. I can still taste a funky chicken pizza with a Rogers Reserve IPA. Sitting in the shade chucking the ball for Ruby the kelpie.

I actually met Roger whome the famous Grumpys IPA was named after. He was a lovely man and that beer was ahead of its time. Andrew showed me around his kitchen and brewing facilitys one day. I got to see the famous pizza oven. A lot of family love went into that place. I'll never forget him private messaging me wanting snapper for his restaurant. That was on on the Grumpys forum. I love my fishing but i couldnt sustain his needs. Plus i think the fisheries would have been knocking on my door :ph34r:

Hope the old girl is rebuilt. Who wants to drive into Hahndorf and see an burnt out old building. I took my daughters and grandsons there and every day was a good day at Grumpys. After we would load my Cruiser ute up with red gum fire wood from across the road and then head for home.

What a shame.

I'm sure it will be rebuilt.

I was just thinking about Grumpies the other day. A kit and bits stella clone was my first brew with a neighbor 13 years ago. never looked back after the first sip.

Nooooooo i hope it's gets rebuilt i always drop in when i am down that way.

Back