Grumpy's Brewhaus

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The brewery has been upgraded not that long ago, with a new shed built to house it and if my memory serves, a bottling line installed.

It has a good following locally, the pizzas are the stuff of legend. Mmmmm, Zorba the sheep and a pint of Black Betty.

Over priced? Not sure what people know about real estate but acreage just outside Hahndorf with a brewery and restaurant and a 12 minute drive to the tollgate is not going to be cheap. The rumoured asking price of $1.5m is reasonable IMO, the same sized piece of land with just a house on it would sell for over $1 million in that location.

There's room to plant your own hop field.....

Is the goat still out the back?

DrSmurto said:
The brewery has been upgraded not that long ago, with a new shed built to house it and if my memory serves, a bottling line installed.

It has a good following locally, the pizzas are the stuff of legend. Mmmmm, Zorba the sheep and a pint of Black Betty.

Over priced? Not sure what people know about real estate but acreage just outside Hahndorf with a brewery and restaurant and a 12 minute drive to the tollgate is not going to be cheap. The rumoured asking price of $1.5m is reasonable IMO, the same sized piece of land with just a house on it would sell for over $1 million in that location.

There's room to plant your own hop field.....
My bad, didn't realise the property was included, thought it was just the leasehold. Maintain however that it needs a decent amount of coin spent on it to bring it up to the standard of its competition.

Apparently the brewery is a 10HL and wouldn't have suffered from overuse given their limited distribution.

For Grumpys to reach the same standard as Prancing Pony the Grumpys brewer would need to forget about fermentation temperature control and introduce a nice house infection into most batches.

Lobethal and Grumpys both do great beer, food and customer service.

Prancing Pony need to improve all these things.

Disagree (except that Lobethal is clearly the best beer of the 3). However my views go well beyond the beer. Prancing Pony has invested in a very popular taproom and strong marketing strategy means they have gained wide distribution to the point they have this year significantly upgraded their brewhouse to meet demand. They are a successful business while Grumpy's is clearly not, having been overtaken by its competitors.

I'm yet to taste a good Prancing Pony beer (so much diacetyl/infection issues) and have stopped altogether after they tried to kill me with an exploding bottle (which was my own fault apparently due to storage and not theirs despite the fact the remaining bottles were all gushers - wonderful customer service). Lobethal produces very good beers, it's hard to make calls on Grumpys as I've only ever had their beer on tap at the brewery. I haven't seen their bottled beer in retail outlets.

Grumpys is ripe for someone to take it over and put their stamp on it. I think it is very tempting, particularly given the land that comes with it.

Steve said:
Is the goat still out the back?
Unfortunately not.

DrSmurto said:
Unfortunately not.
Probs ended up on a Stammtisch night pizza! LOL. Sad to hear the decline of Grumpys.

DrSmurto said:
I'm yet to taste a good Prancing Pony beer (so much diacetyl/infection issues) and have stopped altogether after they tried to kill me with an exploding bottle (which was my own fault apparently due to storage and not theirs despite the fact the remaining bottles were all gushers - wonderful customer service). Lobethal produces very good beers, it's hard to make calls on Grumpys as I've only ever had their beer on tap at the brewery. I haven't seen their bottled beer in retail outlets.

Grumpys is ripe for someone to take it over and put their stamp on it. I think it is very tempting, particularly given the land that comes with it.

Unfortunately not.
That is an ordinary story but perhaps unsurprising given the views on them by others in the industry. Exactly how tempted are you Doc?

:icon_offtopic: least i know where not get a good beer in the adelaide hills area.in a couple of weeks

GrumpyPaul said:
Mmm...where to find a spare 1.5mil?
You've already got the name down. Maybe that will get you a discount.

Killer Brew said:
Meh, overpriced. Prancing Pony at the other end of the same town and Lobethal Bierhaus 15 mins away have taken over and become what Grumpy's could have been. Needs some serious money tipped in to bring it back to its former glory. A shame.
Always enjoy myself there and the beers and pizza are fantastic. Each to their own i suppose.

Their beers are a little average, but we've been happy with the pizza and general vibe. My wife is a coeliac and we haven't had a single contamination issue, which is no mean feat for a pizza joint.
I live just up the hill in Bridgewater and my young daughters know how easy it is to twist my arm for a quick pint, plate of wedges and 3 Apple juices on a Saturday afternoon.

Andrew lives up to the grumpy brand, but will always have my loyalty for one particular afternoon. I was there with 2 of the girls and there was a bus loads of young blokes on an afternoon trip. They had just bought beers and we're ordering pizzas and the language was a getting pretty nautical. Andrew was out the front and I decided to move the young ears out of the blue zone. Once he saw us moving and clocked what was going on he walked over and kicked the lot of them out. Refund the pizza, drink your beer in the car park and leave.

Just on the bottled version. I have some bottled Boston Cream in my fridge. Yeah its good beer.Not quite as good as on tap but what is? Now hunting around to sample bottled Rogers Reserve. Might have to go for a quick trip to Verdun for a carton.

Wolfman1 said:
Their beers are a little average, but we've been happy with the pizza and general vibe. My wife is a coeliac and we haven't had a single contamination issue, which is no mean feat for a pizza joint.
I live just up the hill in Bridgewater and my young daughters know how easy it is to twist my arm for a quick pint, plate of wedges and 3 Apple juices on a Saturday afternoon.

Andrew lives up to the grumpy brand, but will always have my loyalty for one particular afternoon. I was there with 2 of the girls and there was a bus loads of young blokes on an afternoon trip. They had just bought beers and we're ordering pizzas and the language was a getting pretty nautical. Andrew was out the front and I decided to move the young ears out of the blue zone. Once he saw us moving and clocked what was going on he walked over and kicked the lot of them out. Refund the pizza, drink your beer in the car park and leave.
Always found Andrew very cheerful. He once dragged me into the kitchen and showed me the famous oven and making pizzas. Felt previledged.

AHB take over ?
Oh so many possibilities with Grumpy's ,prime position and growth potential...IMO.

Latest posts

Back