Growler Upgrade - adding carb cap for counterfilling/extra carbing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
thanks for the info redman!

I am going to go minimal - try chucking a check valve on it so I can attach a carb cap w/tubing onto it as required.

So, this is purely for carbing prior to transport, and would still open the swingtop for pouring.

MK I of the Insulated SS Growler upgrade complete!

- sealed the original gas inlet with a SS hex nut
- use a push fitting to :
- attach a jumper lead with liquid at one end, then a straight-line push fitting connector for counter filling
- add gas QD for carbing, or extra spritz after filling (pictured)

This means I can counter fill, put on agas QD and add a spritz of gas from the same connection without losing pressure. Works out around $65 a unit if you use a decent gas QD.

Could add a bronco tap for dispensing, but this would need gas 'on location' which I don't want to bother with.

oh yeah. check valve didn't work. Filling through the stop valve obstructs the beer flow turning it into a fizzy mess. Also, I guess the stop valve is designed to stop liquid going IN, as opposed to stopping gas going OUT, in short, it leaked gas a bit. Idea FAIL!

Just stumbled across this topic.
I agree Buckerooni.
I think it has great merit and is exactly the same conclusion I came too, after weighing up all the options.
Other options have to much fruit attached and relying on co2 bulbs is not an option for me.

How about screwing a Schrader valve (car tyre valve) into the original gas inlet?
You would then need to adapt a tyre inflator to connect to the co2, - shouldn't be any drama or expense.

Schrader.jpg

i should follow my own topic for replies!

the schrader valve with the thread is a really neat idea!

I've discovered that trying to fill the growler via the QD fitting is still prone to fizzing so I don't need the liquid line in - I now use my SS intertap flow control with growler filler attachment for much better control and results. I think having a number of attachments/tubing combined with them not being at beer serving temp makes the fizz problem worse.

the only advantage of the gas coming in on that inlet is it will enter from the bottom of the growler and through the beer - but the schrader value could go on either no worries.

The weldless fitting while being innovative and incredibly economical, just doesn't feel right and yeah, wouldn't be SS.

not having the QD dinging around is a massive advantage. I still like the drafto kit lid due to the bottom filling capability and the pressure release valve. gonna give the valve a shot!

not having the QD dinging around is a massive advantage. I still like the drafto kit lid due to the bottom filling capability and the pressure release valve.

ok, very happy with the way this worked out. The 5mm ID was much easier to work than the 4mm to get the schrader valve over the tube!

I'm done! Thanks for all the feedback and suggestions. :beerbang: :beerbang:

and this, the push fitting stopper valve is a really handy addition:

Nice one mate!
Is it working O.k?

I gather you trial and error how much Co2 pressure and how long to charge for?

Does the built in pressure relief valve activate?

Could you of screwed the Schrader valve in where the stainless plug is?

Is the barb molded into the plastic and not able to be screwed out?

Any idea what thread the stainless plug is?
I might start ordering parts!

I ask these questions as I haven't bought a growler or drafto kit yet.

Cheers mate, nice one.

cheers claypot. yep - working well! Always good getting a nice 'pop' when you crack the lid on a growler!

I'm not actually force carbing, just using it to really purge out any O2 and provide some CO2 under pressure to maintain the existing carbonation. Around 50kpa is what I'm going for. The KK flasks are rated to 200 kpa/2 bar.

the barb is moulded in, haven't checked the hex screw thread - but it's BSP. The reason for using the barb is it's connected to a dip tube, which should be better for purging as the C02 comes from the bottom of the vessel.

good luck with your build if you go down this path, I reckon it's a winner!

Sweet mate, I'll pick up a growler and get onto it.
I got a couple of stainless Schrader valves that are like a bulk head fitting and will try to fit to the original cap.

Schradder.JPG

Jeez guys you are making a mountain out of a mole hill
I have the cheap growlers from ebay$17 ea delivered & use a drafto on them. The locking arms on the drafto need to be bent down to allow the drafto to be used on these growlers as the swing fitting is a little different
Fit airline push connectors and a tap $3-4 to the gas side of the drafto & you can then use co2 to pressurise the growler
Keg king have an adapter to use a soda stream bottle to the regulator
There is also a single shot thingio on eBay for adding co2 to pressurise the growler on demand so no regulator required and no wastage of the gas

Attachments

• 6B1B4D9B-5BF4-4A7B-BD48-9D142805A7CF.png
    6B1B4D9B-5BF4-4A7B-BD48-9D142805A7CF.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 189
That Kilkenny looks pretty flat you should work out a way to get more co2 in it
I'm more about putting the beer in the Vac growler and giving it a blast of Co2 then on me way. Tip the beer in a glass when I get there. Too much crap hanging off 2 litres for me.

Last edited:
Yes the brew in the glass was a bit flat. It was only my second pour from the growler set up and my only pic of the entire thing
I’ve worked out to set the gas at 15 psi so I get a good head, and can also force carb the beer at that so I now stick to setting the gas at 15 psi
Works for me

Could something like my attached pic work? Essentially you keep the carbonation cap you already have, put a rubber washer under and make a new clamp to hold it down.

Attachments

• carbcapgrowler.jpg
    carbcapgrowler.jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 134
Jeez guys you are making a mountain out of a mole hill
I have the cheap growlers from ebay$17 ea delivered & use a drafto on them. The locking arms on the drafto need to be bent down to allow the drafto to be used on these growlers as the swing fitting is a little different
Fit airline push connectors and a tap $3-4 to the gas side of the drafto & you can then use co2 to pressurise the growler
Keg king have an adapter to use a soda stream bottle to the regulator
There is also a single shot thingio on eBay for adding co2 to pressurise the growler on demand so no regulator required and no wastage of the gas

if you read the thread and see the final design - there's just a schrader valve hanging off the unit - real simple and elegant. no C02, no reg, no tap. Just buy install a hex bolt and a valve on the drafto, with the complimentary fitting to your home C02 supply and you're done. So, take it easy with all that kit hanging off your growler.

Back