Growler lids

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peteru

Here, taste this!
Reaction score
I have a few 1.98L glass growlers (Riverside branded) and all the lids have now gone bad.

Any suggestions as to where I can get some cost effective replacements? Looking at a quantity of somewhere between 5 and 20 pieces.

Just for a laugh, I got a quote for 10 lids from kegworks.com:

10 lids - $2.90
Shipping $131.15
Importation Charges $3.30
Total $137.35

Tell them they're dreaming!

Venues in Brisbane who sell and fill, replace them without question.......when getting a fill.

What lorrisanga said. Everywhere I get growler fills they replace the lids as needed

Everywhere I've had a fill is out in the sticks (Murrays, Hunter Beer Co, New England Brewery) and no free lids :(

sp0rk said:
Everywhere I've had a fill is out in the sticks (Murrays, Hunter Beer Co, New England Brewery) and no free lids :(
Warners on the bay have replaced mine gratis in the past.

My growlers get mostly filled by me and taken to friends places. No free lids at either end, hence my attempt to source some at a reasonable cost.

Not sure if this is what you're after.

Growler Cap metal x12 / flagon screw caps

growler cap.jpg

$5.90 AUD (for 12 caps + shipping from Aust)

38mm wadded metal cap. These caps are designed to fit 2L 64oz (1/2 gallon). Amber Growler beer bottle. 12 caps per pack. Also suits 2lt glass flagons

http://www.liquorcraft.com.au/afawcs0133827/CATID=0/SUBID=446/ID=6642/SID=742406896/productdetails.html

Fraser's BRB said:
Warners on the bay have replaced mine gratis in the past.
Awesome, I've only had my squealer filled there before, will keep that in mind next time I'm over there

I've had variable mileage with fouling growler lids... Most places in Brisbane are OK, Fortitude brewery at Mt Tamborine replace without asking, Plonk in Canberra were happy to replace as needed however I've had less success at Bacchus, Craft (BNE) Slowbeer (MEL), Warners at the Bay, Batch and Young Henry's.

I bought this pack while in the US a while ago: https://www.amazon.com/38mm-Poly-Seal-Screw-gallon/dp/B0064OFP88/ref=pd_sim_328_2?ie=UTF8&dpID=41qjCijEJML&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL320_SR320%2C320_&refRID=B32DCBP9Y9ZMATRKHZZT and they are far more mould-resistant than the standard caps. Every cap I've used has yet to be replaced in over a year.

Last edited by a moderator:
I went to a hardware store

found some washers , the outside diameter was the right size

had to punch a bigger hole in the middle

They look good. I'd be keen to test a few. I have two different types of glass growlers from Riverside and Beer Cartel. Both came with metal lids. The thread and diameter appear to be the same, but your plastic lids appear to be about 3mm taller.

They look good. I'd be keen to test a few. I have two different types of glass growlers from Riverside and Beer Cartel. Both came with metal lids. The thread and diameter appear to be the same, but your plastic lids appear to be about 3mm taller.

how have you found the metal lids? We have not had much success with the metal ones. Do they rust or leak?

The metal lids have several issues:
  • They deform over time, which can lead to leaks.
  • The bead of silicone that serves as the seal, tears and cracks after only a few uses. Probably due to frictional stresses. This in turn causes it to be unsanitary and over time mould and other contaminants grow to a point they can be seen with the naked eye as discolouration.
  • The metal corrodes/rusts over time. This varies wildly with each lid. Some rusted after a couple of months, some were good for about a year.
I'd be very happy to see an improved product. Plastic sounds good as the main material, but some attention needs to be paid to the seal and a method for cleaning.

heres a suggestion for you, if you know anyone that works in a lab. ( i use these myself for my home made spirits) 2.5ltr methanol bottles work a treat they are dark brown like a beer bottle and a heavy duty screw on cap and they dont drip due to the lip design on them. a quick wash out and your good to go. i managed to score about a dozen of them, soak off the labels and they are great

I think your referring to a "Winchester" pretty common reagent bottle.
I have drought them from Plasdene, but I'm sure there are plenty of other stockiest.
there is an interesting ad on Gumtree for 4L Winchester bottles in Brisbane...
Mark

Latest posts

Back