Growler etiquette?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stuartf

Reaction score
I have a growler with a brewery's logo on it that I won in my club's raffle. Is it considered rude if I rock up to another brewery (one that does growler fills obviously) with this and ask for a fill up?

I would say no it’s not rude, the other brewery should be happy to have your business.

It's poor form for breweries to not fill growlers from elsewhere.

4 pines in Manly is the only place I can recall refusing this.

Cool that was my feeling too, just wanted to check because I was at a small brewery yesterday who said they didn't fill outside growler so wanted to check whether I had committed some gross error of growler ownership [emoji482]

In the US a lot of places won't fill a growler with branding from another brewery. Maybe it's a legal thing? But most WILL fill a growler that has some tape over the logo making it look more generic.

In the US a lot of places won't fill a growler with branding from another brewery. Maybe it's a legal thing? But most WILL fill a growler that has some tape over the logo making it look more generic.

Yep, it's a legal thing in the US (California at least), however covering the logo over gets around the law.

If I owned a brewery and someone came with growlers to fill that had another logo on them I'd still fill them as I'd want the business. I don't know if it's a legal thing here or not though.

JD

I know some refillers don't, they exchange the growler, the argument being that they want to be sure that the growler is properly cleaned/sanitised/rinsed/chilled before filling.
I can see the point, if I were sending my beer out to trade I would want to be dam sure that it was and stayed at its best, rather than rely on some mug punters opinion on what sort of condition the bottle was in.
In that case I would be reluctant to "advertise" someone else's beer by sending out my best efforts in their bottles, who knows I might be making them look good!

If someone is reluctant to refill other peoples growlers ask them why - they may not be pernicious, they may in fact be doing if not you then most peoples a favour.
Mark

I know some refillers don't, they exchange the growler, the argument being that they want to be sure that the growler is properly cleaned/sanitised/rinsed/chilled before filling.
I can see the point, if I were sending my beer out to trade I would want to be dam sure that it was and stayed at its best, rather than rely on some mug punters opinion on what sort of condition the bottle was in.
In that case I would be reluctant to "advertise" someone else's beer by sending out my best efforts in their bottles, who knows I might be making them look good!

If someone is reluctant to refill other peoples growlers ask them why - they may not be pernicious, they may in fact be doing if not you then most peoples a favour.
Mark
Yeah I had that thought and don't really have a problem with a brewery not filling another brewers growler. I suppose it could open a whole can of worms, good job I like the beers from the original brewey and it's not too far out of my way on the drive home from work

NZ has this wired, fill your growlers (daily) the outlets love banging their stickers over the last ones, I was amazed at how well the beer keeps, not that much lasted long….

no way is that rude. I have done it but they say they wouldn't sanistise it

but I had already done it at home so was fine

Latest posts

Back