Growing Yeast Harvested From A Bottle

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PhilipB

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

I have read the Harvesting yeast locked thread and other threads before posting this. I can see that many of the posts refer to harvesting your yeast from the fermenter and washing it etc.

I want to grow the Nottingham Yeast from one of my already bottled brews.

What is the best way to do this?

Is there a way I can simply grow the yeast from the cake in the bottles so I have enough to harvest and store in the fridge without having to do a whole new brew? or do I have to grow a starter using DME and the yeast from 3 or 4 bottles of brew, use the starter in a fresh brew and then harvest from the yeast cake?

I have been looking through the articles but cant see any about growing and harvesting yeast from the bottle..

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Phil

Same principle as growing from slants.

Same principle, really as growing from some reserved slurry.

Threads on both with more detail than I can offer right now but Wolfy has done a detailed thread on growing up from slants (from 'slants to starters with pictures' I think it's called).

Yeah, as above, it would be quite similar to propagating from a slant or any other small seed culture. You probably won't be able to harvest enough though from bottles to skip the starter phase, starting with an unknown and potentially quite variable population will lead to problems.
TBH, unless you're just wanting to upskill in yeast propagation I wouldn't muck with dried strains, their real advantage is storability as there's nothing quite so simple as opening a cheap, readily- available packet to inoculate a batch of wort and with reasonably predictable results, whereas liquid/ non- dried strains take just a little more time, effort and expense, hence methods have evolved to procure, store and grow in that media. Another thing to remember about harvesting seed culture from any amateur yeast source such as bottles is that there's a jolly good chance it is infected, so the purity will be questionable, leading to unexpected, usually quite poor results (i.e. tipped due to infection from day 1).
By all means give it a crack, it won't hurt to upskill, however if this were to become your main method for using Notto and you wanted to use it quite a bit, I'd recommend just getting a few packs where you might get a volume discount or even the bigger 500g pack and save yourself the hassle and risk.

Thanks Guys :)

I was looking to up skill and learn how to harvest etc and store in the fridge. .

I will impliment the principles I have read and seen on youtube.

I am going to get some DME and see how I go harvesting :)

Thank you once again.

Hi Guys,

I have read the Harvesting yeast locked thread and other threads before posting this. I can see that many of the posts refer to harvesting your yeast from the fermenter and washing it etc.

I want to grow the Nottingham Yeast from one of my already bottled brews.

What is the best way to do this?

Is there a way I can simply grow the yeast from the cake in the bottles so I have enough to harvest and store in the fridge without having to do a whole new brew? or do I have to grow a starter using DME and the yeast from 3 or 4 bottles of brew, use the starter in a fresh brew and then harvest from the yeast cake?

I have been looking through the articles but cant see any about growing and harvesting yeast from the bottle..

Appreciate your help.

Cheers,

Harvesting yeast by 'Top Cropping' via intentional krausen overflow:

http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x37/k_w...eer/pcunion.jpg

http://www.aussiehomebrewer.com/forum/inde...showtopic=54164

Back