Growing Up The Yeasties Oops?

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danbeer

Reaction score
Heya'll.

I innoculated a tank at work on friday, to try and grow up some yeast.
I turned on the agitator to mix it, and forgot about it untill about, umm.. 5 minutes ago.
Crap. :(

Question is, is agitation good for the yeasties to grow, or are they best left to sit still?

I'd hate to bugger it up at this stage. :( (having grown a single yeast colony into a 1KL tank...) :unsure:

agitate away danbeer
it rouses them out of dormancy.

Thanks for putting my mind at rest Big D.

I went into work this arvo to check up on them and they must be happy little yeasies cos they'r nealy all budding. :)

It's been an interesting experiment... Yeasts aren't really my cup of tea, but I got the job of growing them because someone in the lab heard I made homebrew... :)

At least now growing up a couple of litres of starter for my next brew will be easy.

I think the idea of agitation is for aeration purposes. By aerating heavily for the first few days you promote replication (budding) first to get your yeast count up. I'm going to build myself a magnetic stirrer very soon for this purpose, combined with a conical flask to aerate my yeastie beasties for the first few days.

Hey Danbeer, I did something similar this weekend. I was thinking about brewing all weekend (did a brew on Sunday) and completely forgot to go back to work and change the media on my cells, I had a nasty poison on them too which is only supposed to be on the cells for 2 days (that meant it as supposed to be changed on Friday, then another media change on Saturday). I didn't remember until last night. They're a bit crook now, hope they pull through.

Brewing will be my downfall. JD

Yeah, have seen lots of picks where brewers (mostly US brewers) have picked up a second hand lab heater/magnetic stirrer

Create a ton of yeast!

Might need to get one myself this year, as I want to start some yeast farming

Jovial Monk

Back