Growing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peterhobit

Reaction score
I have bought some hop plants and get conflicting information on the orientation to grow them. Will put up a couple of poles and then string a wire rope between the poles to support the strings the bines will grow up on. Question is which orientation does the wire rope run? north south or east west. when i look up the information I get both answers??? sometimes the Internet is not helpful ;-)

I've just planted my first hop, so I,m no expert.

My research tells me they like full sun so if you run them east to west then they shouldn't block the sun from each other as much when they grow.

Having said that, I've seen pictures of them in a circle layout so not sure if it matters too much for non commercial growers.

peterhobbit,i would go with east,west then the hops get full sun.
but it all depends on the available space in your yard and orientation.
for info on growing your own and harvesting go to Basic Brewing Radio, a recent podcast was from a hop grower and full of info.....cheers.............spog..............

Thanks all, and I was going to run the SUPPORT wire north south so the sun would be on one side in the morning and the other side of the plant in the arvo. (have plenty of room as it will go in our front paddock) I will have a listen to the pod cast as well. Thanks

Haha, see what I mean, north south east west, guess that's why some plant in circles :)

If they're on strings with a little space between each then it doesn't really matter. Different story if you grow them on mesh.

Latest posts

Back