Growing Hops

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trough Lolly

"Drink, Feck, Arse, Girls"!
Reaction score
Whilst putting away my stubbied 1056 yeast starters in the fridge I thought I'd check the recently acquired plump Goldings Rhizome I have all sealed up in the vegie crisper...

It has several white nodes, each about 1 to 2 inchs long, sticking out of the rhizome! Yes, I need to turn down the fridge temp, but has anyone potted or planted their rhizomes yet?

At the Canberra Brewclub AGM last night, it is generally agreed that planting of rhizomes in Canberra should be done before 1st of Sep.
Anybody got any comments/ideas?
Do you pot the rhizome in the first year and then transplant after it has established a root ball or simply plant the rootstock in open soil, at the mercy of the snails etc, and be done with it :huh:
Cheers,
TL

My Goldings was exactly the same, several pure white shoots. So I planted it 2 weeks ago, but I am in Perth. The shoots have grown about another 1 to 2 inches, turned a more normal brown and started budding leaves. We had a couple of nights at 2 degrees after I planted it but it seems OK.

its a weed and rather tuff one at that! Treat it mean keep it keen :)

anyway mine was slapped into pots (Goldings and POR) last yr the Hallertau went into the ground and it fired up fine!

so plant away and try not to stress to much.
i went posts this year because i cond't think of where to put them and i wanted potting mix as we have very sandy soil thats hard to "wet" eg it wont soak in, just runs off

Can't see any reason to not plant it immediately. If other locals are saying before 1 September I would be out there tomorrow planting it.

Many do plant theirs into pots and it seems to work well but if you are planning on eventually putting it into the ground, might as well do it straight away. The transplanting process always stresses the plant to some extent and you might as well have that happen once, in its first year in your home conditions so that you get a good harvest in the second year.

Mine was sprouting when i planted it in winter and I got a few little bines from that initial burst of growth. They grew to about 10cm, then all died. Two weeks later I got brand new bines all growing strong and hearty.

I really wouldn't worry about snails or anything. Maybe drop a couple of snail pellets around it if you have lots of snails. Once it starts growing the snails will not be able to keep up. It is a very hardy plant and if you plant it in deep well drained soil (preferably well rotted compost), water deeply a few times a week and feed it well, (I used dynamic lifter, blood n bone and liquid seaweed fertiliser) nothing will stop it.

TL,
I got a POR rhizhome a few weeks back and gave it to my dad to put in a big pot.
Planted it about 4 weeks ago. I had a look a couple of days ago and its just starting to sprout from under the earth in a couple of places. I beleive they are quite hardy so dont worry about it too much.

cheers

planted my Hersbrucker a couple of weeks ago (Perth) and it has two bines of 75mm and 50mm - both with leaves and is looking very healthy. I'd plant now...

Thanks guys - I will plant in location (not the pot) this weekend - I also have a $hitload of cow manure to use and I hear that hops love it. So...goldings here we go!
I also found a lot of good background info on hbd.org and I will relax have a brew and do some fun gardening tomorrow!
Cheers,
TL

Trough lolly make sure you plant in full sun if you get any we over here in Adelaide like to plant ours in 6inches of water cause thats what we have to go through to get to the soil (mud) as they say they are fairly hardy give plenty of mulch and forget.

Regards
Mark

Where can i get my hands on some POR, GOLDING & HALLERTAUE? I live in Newcastle and got a top spot in the back yard for these hop plants. Should i just inquire at my local plant shop?

Hey SJW,

Give me a ring, if you want 3 you can have them for $20.00 each. I have each of these varietes in stock in the fridge and they have to be moved out or potted soon.

Regards
Dave

Goliath - What hop rhizome varieties have you got left?

Corey,
We have Goldings, Hallertau, Perle, Precocce de bourgoune, Tardif de bourgone, POR, Tettnanger, columbus (ornamental really), chinook plus a few others. Is there anything particular you are looking for?

Dave

No - nothing in particular. I'm interested in growing my own hops and was wondering what rhizomes you still have available.

Are there any particular varieties that grow better in Canberra?

Corey,
Have a chat with Christoph at the next club meeting - he grows plenty of hops and gave me very valuable advice...Apparently POR is a good grower here (and in many other parts of Oz for that matter).

BTW, I put the Goldings rhizome in a large tub in a bed of high grade potting mix and some peat yesterday - fingers are crossed! For anyone who has potted their rhizomes, did you cover with mulch or leave the mix bare?

Dave - Any idea when we might be able to get at some Cascade rhizomes? I hear they're hard to find right now...

Cheers,
TL

They really are tough customers these hops...
I have a POR which is just into the start of it's third year, so really it should be starting to perform. Unfortunately, a couple of months back, the garden bed in which it was planted was re-zoned from "garden" to "path" which is no great for growing stuff.
I attempted to remove it from the ground, but it basically has only one root, which was about an inch in diameter, and went straight down. Idug down about 8 inches, gave up on the process, and pulled it out, breaking the root about 10 inches long. I put the lump of hop into a bucket of soil, and sat it out of the way to see if it was going to live or die. Well, over the weekend I had a look at it... and it is literally covered in green/brown nodes and shoots, so is obviously not dead.

Into the ground in a new location it has gone, a bit of water, a bit of fertiliser, and we will see how it goes. If it lives, then maybe next year I will get my much anticipated bumper crop.

dreamboat

How do hops go in Perth? I would have though that the summer would be too hot and dry?

ok, i'll pipe up as well. i know people have asked before, however how would they fair this far north. i don't have the room, but my father has a nice sized back yard perfect for hops :) in katherine.

or seeing as dave has them "on special" buy some and see what happends????

Hoops,

I don't think Perth is ideal, not quite far enough away from the equator, but for a backyard grower/homebrewer, it's probably good enough. There have been commercial growers in Pemberton and Manjimup, not too far south. I don't think the heat will kill them but they do need a good deep drink every second day and maybe more often in very hot spells. I'm hoping my POR will give me a decent crop this year (in Perth) despite my having to transplant the ******* away from a disputed fence-line.

Trough lolly I here the Cascade hop has a desease which will effect all other hops so that`s why it`s hard to get. Also use plenty of mulch when potting. I hope this has helped you.

Regards
Mark

Back