Growing Barley for brewing

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Into the oven at home for 85C to finish off. A couple hours and we are done.

It's smelling fantastic, sweet and 'malty'

wp_ss_20170319_0003.png

7 days graft and I'm the proud owner of a 5kg sack of fresh malt!

Needs 'de-bearding' but it might be more 'hipster to leave it be? Anyway I read your supposed to leave it for a few weeks to age before use, so we'll work that out then. It was a fun experiment, thanks for the motivation DrT.

wp_ss_20170319_0004.png

What type of malt is it and what did it cost to produce.

seehuusen said:
That's Cool, thanks for sharing
Would love to hear how a brew turns out
Thanks seehuusen, can't wait to give it a try. Hopefully it will be drinkable! If not I'll let you know.

Wynnum I'm not really sure to be honest, temperature of kilning is probably comparable to a regular pale malt. Cost $0.67 a kilo + a bucket load of electricity and a few alfoil trays. Plus a fair bit of time. I don't think anyone would really do this to save money, more just for the fun of it.

I made some malt which I havnt used for any thing yet a while back, I found the germination to full modification was the easy part. Tryng to dry 25 kg of wet grain without thinking it through was the hard part. I now have some industrial size clothes dryers that I am going to modify to produce pale base malt.
Being a grain grower I have a few tonnes of 2 row barley kicking around, most pale malts have enough diastic power to convert a fair bit of un malted grain, so I will probably start using it mixed so I can say that my beer is made with some of my grain.

mash head said:
I made some malt which I havnt used for any thing yet a while back, I found the germination to full modification was the easy part. Tryng to dry 25 kg of wet grain without thinking it through was the hard part. I now have some industrial size clothes dryers that I am going to modify to produce pale base malt.
Being a grain grower I have a few tonnes of 2 row barley kicking around, most pale malts have enough diastic power to convert a fair bit of un malted grain, so I will probably start using it mixed so I can say that my beer is made with some of my grain.
Have you looked at http://www.whitelabs.com/other-products/wln4050-brewers-compass a 20 kg would do 2.5 tons of grain who in the brewing industry is using this product been around for many years so would think beer is being produced.

Sounds like the go mh. Something to turn the grain to get even germination and stop matting would also be good. Temp control has to be reasonably accurate or things can go pear shaped quickly.

I'm sure the people that make breadmakers could easily whack out a 'maltmaker' for less than $200 if they wanted to. Would be quite a market I suspect.

Where there's a will there's a way.

I was unaware of that product, thanks. Still like to stick to traditional methods though. As for the grain matting I just used a rake and moved it around every day on the concrete floor until the acrospire was the correct length, never noticed any matting problems. Unfortunately I tried the same method to dry it, raking it around a fire drum, pretty quickly worked out not to do it this way.
The clothes dryers will only be for drying the grain to kill it, as Ive seen a similar mod done on the net with some stainless fly wire to stop the grain falling through the drum it also debeards the grain as well. The dryers are gas fired with 3 buttons (warm, medium and hot) for temp control so it will take some experimenting to get it right.

Sounds like a great project - I think Klangers was working on something similar so maybe drop him a message.

Bigger batches would be the way to go, mucking about with 5kg was fun but hardly economical.

The breadmaker/maltmaker things don't exist, just an idea.

It's possible to buy small commercial units that do minimum 50kg batches but I'm guessing they would run in the 10's of thousands e.g. http://maltbox.com/

On the grain growing topic, there's a heap of land up this way going to waste that could be growing grain. A lot of the horticultural crops (blueberries, bananas, macadamias, custard apples) have a 2 metre wide interrow space where they don't grow anything (just grass which is mowed).

I reckon a little 3 to 5 tine disc seeder would work wonders, but nobody seems interested. Lots of fiddling about and small hectarage but it's awesome soil and high rainfall.

Planting and growing would be ok, harvesting would be a bitch, and grain prices are pretty poor atm. Would be better to grow something inter row that will build or feed the soil.

Lots of growing space could be created if large growing containers where used that could be moved like IBC containers they could also be used as fire breaks because they kill the weeds and grass under them and can be moved progressively .

It's great to do a project like this, the best one I undertook was converting chicken shit to methane gas and making a gasometer out of 2 barrels, my dad dismantled it said I was going to blow us all to kingdom come.
I had read a book about a farmer who converted a diesel engine to run on methane and the slurry which was left spread over the land.

mash head said:
Planting and growing would be ok, harvesting would be a bitch, and grain prices are pretty poor atm. Would be better to grow something inter row that will build or feed the soil.
Yep a little 1.5m header would be slow going ..

Some of the guys grow legumes (Pinto peanut) in the inter-row which adds Nitrogen to the soil.

Just coming from a low rainfall area myself .. I see all this green grass getting mowed (not eaten, made into hay or done anything with) and I think .. man, there must be a better way. We are talking about arguably Australia's best agricultural land (Alstonville plateau) and only 30% of it's being used. The rest of it's being mowed by lawn mowers. Crazy.

good4whatAlesU said:
Bit of a funky krausen coming off the feed malt. Pitched with K-97
I'd imagine the significantly higher nitrogen/protein in feed-grade malt would contribute towards a stronger tendency to foam.

Cheers Klangers could be the case.

I've not used K97 before but I've read it's a bit of a notorious "foamer" so it could just be living up to it's reputation.

Latest posts

Back