Group Brew by Correspondence

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

n87

Same as it ever was
Reaction score
As a carry on from the last thread, it looks like this is the activity that got most interest, so, now on to figure out what to brew and the 'rules'

Things to discuss:
What to brew? hoppy, malty, yeasty, ageable?
Ingredients? do we want to limit it to the same brand of malts, batch of hops? adjuncts?

Styles suggested in the last topic:
Bitter
scottish ale
porter
saison,
Hef,
kolsh,
altbeir
Beire de garde
Irish red

My thoughts:

I would go for something that reaches its prime in 3-12 months given the likelyhood that it will take that long to get another meet going to taste them
I think it would also be good to do a beer that is new to everyone, or atleast the majority
It would be cool to have everyone using the same brand/batch of malt and hops, its not realistic, but we could always order the spec grain and hops in 'bulk' and split to cut down on costs fo those who dont have stock.
Same yeast is something that I would vote for

My votes:
Scottish Ale
Beire de Garde
Irish Red

Well if we are doing it that way:

1 Beire de Garde
2 Irish Red
3 Scottish Ale

by the lores of 3,2,1 points, our totals:

6 Beire de Garde
6 Scottish Ale
2 Bitter
2 Irish Red
1 Saison

endisnigh, Is that you voting against an Irish Red? or forgetting what number comes after 2?

8 Scottish Ale
7 Beire de Garde
3 Altbeir
2 Bitter
2 Irish Red
1 Saison

Looks like Scottish is winning.... just.
I didnt realise there are 3 Scottish ale styles (in AABC)
Light Scotch Ale
Scottish Ale
Strong Scotch Ale (wee heavy)
:s

Ah - my mistake - I thought it was down to 3 beers, and I was doing my best to bury Irish Red (an insipid beer that should never see the light of day ever ever ever).

Given that I'd like to remove my Irish Red vote and apply it to Saison instead :)

Dubzie said:
3. scottish ale
2. porter
1. kolsh,
Hey mate, which order is this in? are you assigning points, or standing on your head?

11 Scottish Ale
9 Beire de Garde
5 Bitter
3 Altbeir
3 Porter
2 Irish Red
2 Saison
1 Kolsh

endisnigh said:
Nope nope nope - you can't just add 3 to Scottish Ale - it's not point voting, it's preference voting
That requires an awful lot of thinking.... that and scotch would be winning still anyway ;)

Hello,

Everyone that I don't know, I'm Rob's ex-work colleague and keen new brewer. I'm hoping to join you in this brew off.

My top 3 choices would be:

1. Beire de garde
2. Saison
3. Kolsh

:)

Hi Nickstars, Welcome.

Looks like the Beire de Garde has taken the lead by a whisker. I think we will have to call it mid next week, lets say Wednesday 12th, then we have to work out recipes.

12 Beire de Garde
11 Scottish Ale
5 Bitter
4 Saison
3 Altbeir
3 Porter
2 Irish Red
2 Kolsh

Sounds good Brydon. Is the plan to brew a fixed recipe and use whatever yeast we think suits, as you would with a group brew, or fix the yeast strain as well?

I'm up for whatever everyone agrees on, but I tend to lean towards Yogi's point that our different processes will create different enough beers.

Something like that would be really cool.
I would've thought doublebock aged in whisky, but great idea for a future activity, would be cool to have a club barrel. Would be an epic bottling day tho.

Back