Group Barley Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No, Duane isn't going to ferment his own batch - there will only be 7 batches made.

Smaller bottles are the go for sure. If we do a 6 pack to each person plus Duane, 0.375 x 6 x 7 = 15.75L given away, meaning you will get at least 5-6L for yourself. More if you use 330mL bottles. Hmm, Do I really want 5L of Lager yeast barley wine?Maybe a Wyeast 1762 Belgian II or 1728 Scottish Ale instead... Decisions decisions

Sounds goods to me,

In that case I will have to commit to one yeast.
I might make up a small extract batch and pitch brett and based on how that goes deicide if Im ready to commit to 20L of barely wine.
If not, I'm thinking of 3522 Belgian Ardenes or a Brittish yeast not being done already.

3522 Belgian Ardenes is a awesome yeast. My fav Belgian strain

3522 Belgian Ardenes is a awesome yeast. My fav Belgian strain

I may also change to Scottish ale then. More suited to a Barley Wine.

Pete - Scottish Ale (WY1728)
Josh - Dry English Ale (Whitelabs 007)
KT - Wyeast 3463 - Forbidden Fruit
Marc - Old Ale
Jay - safale US-05
Brock - Belgian saison
Ben - Ardennes or English

Hey Guys,
Turns out the 24th of May isn't good for Duane, as he is on holidays.
Any preferences for the weekend's either side of that? 17th May or 31st?

Looks like it's the 17th then.
I've started growing my yeast this weekend - Brewed up a low gravity Helles to ferment for the next few weeks. I should have a great big yeast cake ready for the brewday on the 17th.

Anyone else started? I figure everyone is aware, but no harm in saying it - You will need lots of yeast to ferment this beer. Please don't chuck in a single pack of liquid yeast and think that will work

bugger that is the weekend of the AHB pub crawl.

I'll have to miss the crawl, as this was organised was before then.

I've pre-ordered a stir-plate from Digital Homebrew, but it wont get here until May.

I was planning on making a 2 litre starter - that should be enough... right ?

-kt

I am at a bucks that weekend i will have to pick up my cube from Duanes another day.
I will pass some money onto Jay to cover costs. Do we have a Guestimate on that?

My packets of wyeast old ale arrived last week with a date from way back in 2012. Do you think i will need to make a starter? :p

goldenchild said:
I am at a bucks that weekend i will have to pick up my cube from Duanes another day.
I will pass some money onto Jay to cover costs. Do we have a Guestimate on that?

My packets of wyeast old ale arrived last week with a date from way back in 2012. Do you think i will need to make a starter? :p
Nah, just chuck one pack in, I reckon it'll be right. :unsure:
As for costs, I'll catch up with Duane on the weekend and work out the total cost for everyone.

KT, I can lend you my stirplate and flask if you want. I can drop it off at Duanes on Saturday morning or at your place if its not too far out of the way.
2L simple starter with one pack won't be enough, stir plate will help, but you may need to do two steps.
This will give you an idea of how much you need http://www.mrmalty.com/calc/calc.html

I don't really understand Mr Malty.

How do I calculate an O2 infused wort, with a O2 infused stir-plate starter?

I plugged in: 1.09 OG, 25 litres, and a 50% viability.
(is 25 litres correct? 180/7 == 25ish)

I figured I would need to do a multi-step starter. But 4 litres, geeze :blink:

malty.png

It would not be 4 litres of yeast
would be a 4 litre starter that may produce 500ml of yeast.

this is one of those times that creating a normal 1050 beer and fermenting it out, then pitching onto the yeast cake is the easy way to go.

Heck, I am just going to do a kit brown ale to get me the yeast i need and the bonus is i get some beer out of it too.

Right, I knocked up a Belgian Pale ale today ... but only after I cleaned the algae out of my HLT (first brew since Jan).
I think I started at 6:30 am, and didn't finish until 14:00. I think I might need to not leave the brewing vessels outside in the weather.

Used bottled oxygen on the wort for the first time too, hope I didn't stuff it up too much ... the fricken pipe kept wanting to spring-form back out of the wort.
I might have to make a +5 Wand of Oxygenation with some small diameter stainless pipe I have.

cheers,
-kt

Nice one. that reminds me I need to buy a new O2 bottle...

Gingerbrew said:
Nice one. that reminds me I need to buy a new O2 bottle...
Whats the damage on O2 bottles? Can they be swapped out etc the same as CO2?

Back