Group Barley Wine

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
brockerst said:
If Duane can't get warrior, I'm sure he'll have something we can use. Magnum, super alpha, Simcoe or target are all options. Doesn't really matter what it is as long as it is high AA and low co-humulone. Any flavour that hasn't disappeared after an hour long boil will be well and truly masked by everything else. Just need to get the big IBUs.

In terms of a date, it's going to be a big day so will need to be a weekend.

Something to consider is do we do it when the shop is open? Perhaps some promotion. Or are we more likely to scare customers away?
We need Duane in here to help us out. What high alpha hops can he get in, What date would he prefer?

I'm pretty flexible with the weekends just need to know about a week before so I can get the Saturday off!

Also, I've got probably 500g of stupidly unmarked American hops in my freezer. I packed them down into vacuum bags and stupidly forgot to label them. No idea of AA% but they are all probably Columbus, Centennial or Simcoe. There may also be some Saaz or Hallertau in there too. We could chuck them all in at knockout if everyone was cool with it? A bit risky not knowing though.

Gingerbrew said:
We could chuck them all in at knockout if everyone was cool with it? A bit risky not knowing though.
I'm a bit risk-adverse after 80 kilos of malt, and 8 hours ;)

500g is a lot of hops! Is barley wine meant to have a hop aroma?

I guess after X years of ageing, it will have diminished anyway.

Hey Everyone,
I had a chat with Duane yesterday about what ingredients he can get get in for us for the BW.
Galaxy for finishing hops will be no problems.
Bittering hops were a bit more difficult. He can only order in hops in minimum of 2 or 5kg amounts and he didn't want to order that much of any of the good bittering hops as they don't sell very well. The best he could do was Pride of Ringwood :huh: He was more than happy for us to order the bittering hops online from somewhere like http://www.hopdealzaustralia.com/#!product/prd1/1108373831/warrior

Malt shouldn't be a problem, but his mash tun size would be. Its limited to about 140L, which was the biggest beer he's done and it was pretty full apparently. Boiling large volumes shouldn't be a problem though.
So @ 2l/1kg malt = 2.65 liters per kg malt, 140L capacity = 52kg Malt, about half what we need.

Duane can also order bulk LME. 28kg packs -
Light - $110
Amber - $120
Wheat - $125

Coincidentally, 52kg of malt at 60% efficiency, plus 28kg of LME into 175L = 1.100! :super:
http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/central-coast-brewers-barley-wine

As for when, Duane suggested late in May would be preferable. He's going away in early May, later in the month would be preferable.
Saturday is fine with him too. We will make it a recruiting day for the club too with a BBQ out the back and some beers. Should be a fun day

Any preferences - 17th, 24th or 31st May?

Any one of those dates will be ok by me I just need notice to take it off work!

Dates are ok for me ... Mother's day is May 11 this year.
No doubt something will come up though, but I'll have to miss it.

Edit: Maybe the first two for me, I think there's a family birthday end-of-May (one of the in-laws)

Any of those dates are fine, because of kids saturday sport, I won't be available until 1pm, but that is fine, I'd say that will be somewhere around the sparge.

as for the bittering hops, I am fine for us to source them once we get a recipe nailed down, I wonder if he has access to isohop, or if that is a waste of effort. Six Stings may be able to supply us if we sweet talk them? not sure.

The LME bag sounds like the way to go.

I got hold of my Whitelabs 007 Dry English yesterday.

Ill brew a basic pale ale just before the barleywine brew day, to ensure I have a truckload of yeast.

Bring it on.

Alright, sounds like 24th May is the best for everyone, with the 17th being our plan-B. I'll try and get there as soon as Duane opens up to start the milling.
I'll try and get there early for the milling of the grain, but it's going to suck doing that much grain, so any others that can help out would be appreciated.
If you can't make it till later, thats great, because the early starters will probably be looking to hand over the brewing by then and grab some lunch, etc.

I think we just get Warrior from Hopdealz (Aussie hop place, run by one of the AHB members) rather than mucking around with Isohop. Stick with what we know for this beer.

If you are not using dry yeast, I think the pitching onto a low gravity beer's yeast cake is the best way to go with this beer, as Josh is doing. Otherwise you'll need a 5L starter with extremely fresh yeast on a stirplate. Good luck to Ben doing 100%Brett. I've got no idea what to do there.

So are we happy with this recipe? http://www.brewtoad.com/recipes/central-coast-brewers-barley-wine
I've knocked down the Munich and Galaxy (Which is actually a 1min addition, not 10).

Recipe looks good, nice brown barleywine.

Is the malt extract Duane gets in, liquid or dry.
I assumed dry, but the recipe says liquid. No difference to me, just making sure the calculations are correct.

The Warrior idea is good too. seeing it comes in a 450g bag, just adjust the recipe to suit.

I'm happy to lock down this recipe. I understand the malts we use will differ slightly. I'd also be open to using a mix of light/medium/dark for the crystal.

24th sounds good to me. I should be able to be there early.
I'm pretty happy with that recipe also.

I'm starting to chicken out on the 100% Brett.
Research is indicating a pretty long lead up for making a starter for a beer this big
and a pretty slow fermentation also. Could be waiting months for this to completely finish out.

What's the plan with exchanging bottles? I was thinking of splitting my cube into two
10L batches (different yeasts one Brett, one ?) but I want to make sure there are enough
bottles to go around.

Ben

I like the smaller bottles. Even if you wanted a second bottle (to share;)) you could have a different type.

If we swap a 6 pack between each of us, there should be a bit more than a double share of our own to keep.

Is Duane going to ferment a batch to share?

Back