Ground Corriander

Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum

Help Support Australia & New Zealand Homebrewing Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beer Krout

Reaction score
I attempted a Hoeggarden-y style beer with crushed corriander seed and orange peel.
But the corriander spice seems to have all but disappeared by the time I bottled it. This did not happen when I used ground corriander in a previous attempt.

The current attempt was with:
ESB Fresh Wort Wheat Kit filled to 18L.
Wyeast Barvarian Wheat yeast (Got it from a mate. Will use the real Belgium Wit stuff next time).
1 week in primary.

Added 500ml boiled water + 1 orange peel (15mins boiled) + 12.5g (Half 25g bag) of crushed corriander (boiled for 5 mins) into secondary. Strained into the fermenter.
1 week in secondary.

Sampled at bottling time and corriander flavour was non-existant???

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks Guys

Beer Krout

for my Wit I usually use 30g crushed corriander seeds and 30 g orange peel, they go into the boil 5 min from the end. I think you need more spice, the seed is not as strong as the powder.

Andrew

i use 30g if whole corriander seeds. i then toast them slightly and dump them straight into the fermenter.

Read in "Radical Brewing" to go for the larger oval shaped "indian" corriander seeds not the small round ones, less vegetal flavour apparently.
I roughly crush and add near the end of boil

mikem108 said:
Read in "Radical Brewing" to go for the larger oval shaped "indian" corriander seeds not the small round ones, less vegetal flavour apparently.
I roughly crush and add near the end of boil
[post="88826"][/post]​

I would definately agree with that, the wit I did on sunday used the large oval Indian corriander seeds, when I crushed them there was a very nice citrus/orange aroma, totally different from the stuff you buy at coles ect.

Andrew

I always used the fresh coriander root. Give it a buzz in the mix master & into the boil!
Cheers
Gerard

The little plastic bag comes from Coles.
Hoyt's Whole Coriander 25g net.
They are little brown round things, approximately 4-5mm in diameter.

When roughly crushed in a bowl. They gave off the nice citrus/orange aroma.

But obviously not enough, and I guess I should have not strained it.

Haven't heard of the "indian" version (as opposed to the "common or garden supermarket" variety). Will investigate.

Thanks Guys.

Beer Krout said:
The little plastic bag comes from Coles.
Hoyt's Whole Coriander 25g net.
They are little brown round things, approximately 4-5mm in diameter.

When roughly crushed in a bowl. They gave off the nice citrus/orange aroma.

But obviously not enough, and I guess I should have not strained it.

Haven't heard of the "indian" version (as opposed to the "common or garden supermarket" variety). Will investigate.

Thanks Guys.
[post="88858"][/post]​

BK, try indian spice stores in the yellow pages. They will be better quality and fresher

i also noticed that the seed needed to be ground just before i added it
not while measuring out the hops before the boil

Latest posts

Back